Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does such a small island like Puerto Rican give Mexico such hardship?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Omowale Tribe View Post
    Shouldn't Mexico be dominating Puerto Rico in boxing considering the sizes of the two countries? But instead it seems that Puerto Rico not only holds its own, but they are constantly giving Mexico L's.

Very interesting how that works...
    Canelo might have a different opinion. He has beaten every Puerto Rican he has faced. :blow:

Comment

Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post
      Puerto Rico isn't a country, it's an American commonwealth. Many people think Mexican American boxers represent Mexico which is false. That's like saying every black fighter represents the African continent...oh wait..I think the US govt. still loves that belief.

Also, people don't realize that the Mexican war battles of the Alamo was Mexicans opposed to black slavery in the southern territories of the USA. This is thought is Mexican education, but the USA blankets that history and just call it a territorial dispute.

Mexicans fought against black slavery. That should put a smile on some black folk.

Man... We KNOW who is "PR" or "Mexican" whether they are born in PR or Indonesia.

Danny is PR as Margarito was "Mexican" when it comes lineage.

Comment

It's not population it's love of the sport.

Puerto Rico not only competes with Mexico in boxing, it competes with the US, and all of latin America.

Comment

Puerto Rico isn't a country, it's an American commonwealth. Many people think Mexican American boxers represent Mexico which is false. That's like saying every black fighter represents the African continent...oh wait..I think the US govt. still loves that belief.

Also, people don't realize that the Mexican war battles of the Alamo was Mexicans opposed to black slavery in the southern territories of the USA. This is thought is Mexican education, but the USA blankets that history and just call it a territorial dispute.

Mexicans fought against black slavery. That should put a smile on some black folk.
          Bro, the first part of your post is so stupid. You can't compare African Americans to Mexican Americans. Most Mexicans from USA know Spanish, are in tuned with the Mexican culture. Eat Mexican food. ****, most likely been to Mexico. Most them have family in Mexico and they're parents were born there. African Americans can't say any of that. They don't care for Ghana or Ivory Coast during the world cup, the Chicanos are all in with Mexico though. It's just totally different.

Comment

Shouldn't Mexico be dominating Puerto Rico in boxing considering the sizes of the two countries? But instead it seems that Puerto Rico not only holds its own, but they are constantly giving Mexico L's.

Didn't DG pick up his training and boxing itself in the US?

Comment

Originally posted by PeasantCrusha View Post
              Man... We KNOW who is "PR" or "Mexican" whether they are born in PR or Indonesia.

Danny is PR as Margarito was "Mexican" when it comes lineage.
              Danny is American. Miguel Cotto is Puerto Rican. Ethnicity and Nationality is not the same thing. You can't just say Oscar is Mexican, and to assume Mexican culture is the same as Los Angeles or California is a fail.

Anthropology 101.

Comment

Again with the size excuse. "chiquitos pero picosos" lol. Define constantly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigg Rigg View Post
                  Bro, the first part of your post is so stupid. You can't compare African Americans to Mexican Americans. Most Mexicans from USA know Spanish, are in tuned with the Mexican culture. Eat Mexican food. ****, most likely been to Mexico. Most them have family in Mexico and they're parents were born there. African Americans can't say any of that. They don't care for Ghana or Ivory Coast during the world cup, the Chicanos are all in with Mexico though. It's just totally different.
                  You could learn something from my first post. What you just said is regarding ethnic cultures, almost anybody can acknowledge that or relate to it, like most Americans from true urbanized cities. So I find it ironic how you state my said facts as ''stupid...''

I'll put it into better perspective for you with some reality and relating to boxing. When Oscar De La Hoya fought Chavez Sr., many Mexicans (meaning those from Mexico - those naturalized citizens and completely different form of govt. established by Mexicans) were hating on De La Hoya. I remember that year and bout, many of my Mexican American friends were rooting for Chavez Sr. because why? He represented the ''purity'' of ''Mexican?'' I know it is stupid and I don't care much for it, but it's important to educate people on the difference between nationality and ethnicity.

I'll put it into more PERSPECTIVE for you, and the reality, but IF the USA represented true equality of one NATION, there wouldn't ongoing turmoil between groups and different classes. That's when you start to WANT to know about Politics..which is good for you.

Victor Ortiz, Brandon Rios, Floyd, Ali, Wilder, Oscar, are ALL AMERICANS representing the red white and blue boxer, not other nations. Oscar won the Gold because he was a skilled American Boxer, not because his ethnic background is Mexican. The reality is that many Middle Class and Upper Class and RICH Mexicans don't care or give a shıt about the majority of Mexican American culture. This divide is important to understand.

Cotto. Born and Raised and trained in PR. Danny, American kid with a PR background from Philly. A lot of PR heads didn't care when Danny fought in PR against Herrera.

Comment

Cuba will be getting in the mix soon enough so that might change.

Comment

Danny is American. Miguel Cotto is Puerto Rican. Ethnicity and Nationality is not the same thing. You can't just say Oscar is Mexican, and to assume Mexican culture is the same as Los Angeles or California is a fail.

Anthropology 101.
                      To assume Cotto was born in Puerto Rico is a "fail." Cotto was born in Rhode Island.

You OK?

It's lineage not zip code.

Danny is PR. Deal with it....

Comment

Working...
                      X