No announcement yet.

Daniel Jacobs hints at the GGG fight happening in 2016

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
    It doesn't. You, as usual, don't get what is going on.

Jacobs and his people know GGG needs quality opposition so he is negotiating from a position of strength. GGG just has to settle for less and give Jacobs a cut of his earnings if he wants to make the fight.

No different than Cotto v Floyd. Floyd needed someone who could sell a PPV. Cotto got more because he knew Floyd needed a big opponent. SO Floyd had to give up some of his earnings on the backend to make the fight. The budget for the fight was still the same.

If GGG doesn't want to give up some money to get a quality opponent in the ring, that's on him. All that non-starter talk is just you being a GGG fan and thinking he is entitled to whatever he wants.

The PPV can be made (Jacobs is more known than Lemeuix) its just GGG has to take less or else take his usual and fight another 12-1 underdog and get another win that no true boxing fan will respect.

its simple math. If Jacobs wants $5 mil, then the fight has to do 200k buys just to pay Jacobs, and thats if GGG fought for free.

Its a non-starter. Its called "pricing yourself out". If you are unfamiliar with that term, you can probably google it........

Comment

Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
      I'm not sure how to embed this, but Jacobs took a photo with GGG at the WBA convention titled "danieljacobstko2016???? Is this what they wanna see ??? #jacobsvsggg"

2016???? Is this what they wanna see ??? #jacobsvsggg

A photo posted by Daniel Jacobs (@danieljacobstko) on

... better take this one here:

Comment

^^^ This one here is funny...

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
          its simple math. If Jacobs wants $5 mil, then the fight has to do 200k buys just to pay Jacobs, and thats if GGG fought for free.

Its a non-starter. Its called "pricing yourself out". If you are unfamiliar with that term, you can probably google it........
          We disagree. What if Jacobs only wants $3 mil? Jacobs has every right to ask for whatever he wants. It's not as impossible as you are trying to make it.

GGG would have to "sell" the fight and take less-same as Floyd, Manny and other big names-since he needs a quality opponent to sell a PPV.

The issue- which You just will not admit- is GGG isn't a proven seller right now so he will have to pay quality opponents more than those who can sell a fight on their own.

You act as if every other fighter needs GGG so he can lowball them and its good. Sorry but it doesn't work like that.

Same reason Tim got $6 mil from TR for the 1st Manny fight when he never made anything like that-Manny needed a quality opponent so he had to take a little less.
          Last edited by The Big Dunn; 12-23-2015, 11:04 AM.

Comment

$3-5mill for Jacobs is insane. Haymon/Showtime invested alot into promoting the Jacobs/Quillin fight and it more less bombed. The tv numbers were abysmal with under 400k and the attendance was disappointing for 2 NY guys to do 8,442 (compare that to a summer fight with Golovkin/Geale at 8,572).

Without Haymon over-inflating fighter pay, the $1.5mill Danny got to fight Quillin is what he would've expected to fight a big name on ppv in the past.

Sergio Martinez only made a little over $1.5mill vs Cotto & Chavez on ppv! Lara made $1mill to fight Alvarez on ppv.

Comment

You can't take the TV numbers into consideration for Quillin-Jacobs because the fight ended after 85 seconds. You're not accounting for the folks that just didn't get a chance to tune in because they were banking on the fight lasting longer than that.

Hell, I almost missed the fight because I was actually going to go to the store and make it back by the 2nd round or so.

I think the $$$ is reasonable; but then again maybe I'm just biased for Jacobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
                $3-5mill for Jacobs is insane. Haymon/Showtime invested alot into promoting the Jacobs/Quillin fight and it more less bombed. The tv numbers were abysmal with under 400k and the attendance was disappointing for 2 NY guys to do 8,442 (compare that to a summer fight with Golovkin/Geale at 8,572).

Without Haymon over-inflating fighter pay, the $1.5mill Danny got to fight Quillin is what he would've expected to fight a big name on ppv in the past.

Sergio Martinez only made a little over $1.5mill vs Cotto & Chavez on ppv! Lara made $1mill to fight Alvarez on ppv.
                Respectfully, I disagree.

Those numbers have nothing to do with what Jacobs will get for GGG though.

Its like Tim getting $6 mil to fight Manny. Tim wasn't worth $ 6 mil, had never made anything close to it before. But Manny needed a quality opponent for a PPV-thus Tim was in the right place at the right time and got more than he otherwise would have.

GGG just had a PPV that didn't meet expectations. He has potential opponents that are all huge underdogs and easy wins that likely will not drive PPV sales. He needs a quality name

Danny is in the right place at the right time-just like Tim-which increases his value IMO.

Comment

Respectfully, I disagree.

Those numbers have nothing to do with what Jacobs will get for GGG though.

Its like Tim getting $6 mil to fight Manny. Tim wasn't worth $ 6 mil, had never made anything close to it before. But Manny needed a quality opponent for a PPV-thus Tim was in the right place at the right time and got more than he otherwise would have.

GGG just had a PPV that didn't meet expectations. He has potential opponents that are all huge underdogs and easy wins that likely will not drive PPV sales. He needs a quality name

Danny is in the right place at the right time-just like Tim-which increases his value IMO.
                  Golovkin/Jacobs doesn't bring that much money into the pot. Bradley getting $6mill for Manny is reasonable when a Manny fight was generating over $20mill. Golovkin/Jacobs would be lucky to generate $5mill. If it goes to purse bid, I don't even see Haymon bidding $5mill.

Like I said, in the past Danny would be getting $1.5mill for a big name ppv (such as Sergio Martinez did), now Haymon has distorted the payscale from the market value in such a way that even a ppv can't support it.

Comment

We disagree. What if Jacobs only wants $3 mil? Jacobs has every right to ask for whatever he wants. It's not as impossible as you are trying to make it.

GGG would have to "sell" the fight and take less-same as Floyd, Manny and other big names-since he needs a quality opponent to sell a PPV.

The issue- which You just will not admit- is GGG isn't a proven seller right now so he will have to pay quality opponents more than those who can sell a fight on their own.

You act as if every other fighter needs GGG so he can lowball them and its good. Sorry but it doesn't work like that.

Same reason Tim got $6 mil from TR for the 1st Manny fight when he never made anything like that-Manny needed a quality opponent so he had to take a little less.

Who doesnt admit that? GGG gets good ratings on HBO and can sell out an arena on either coast, but he is NOT a ppv draw on his own. Do I need to repeat that, or do you understand?

Which is exactly why I'm saying the Jacobs request is a non-starter. The fight would have to go to PPV to satisfy Jacobs side by itself, and neither Jacobs nor GGG are big enough on the ppv side to generate enough buys to make the fight happen.

Why is that so hard to understand?

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
                      Golovkin/Jacobs doesn't bring that much money into the pot. Bradley getting $6mill for Manny is reasonable when a Manny fight was generating over $20mill. Golovkin/Jacobs would be lucky to generate $5mill. If it goes to purse bid, I don't even see Haymon bidding $5mill.

Like I said, in the past Danny would be getting $1.5mill for a big name ppv (such as Sergio Martinez did), now Haymon has distorted the payscale from the market value in such a way that even a ppv can't support it.
                      We can agree to disagree. Haymon isn't IMO distorting the payscale because a Payscale isn't established until a fight is negotiated. Location, when a fight is signed and other factors affect the "value" of a fight.

Jacobs understands he has more value so he is asking for a bigger piece of the total pie. Sergio and fighters in the past may not have been as informed and settled for an amount lower than they could've negotiated.

Comment

Working...
                      X