5 - Canelo
    6 - Cotto
    7 - Cotto
    8 - Canelo
    9 - Canelo
    10 - Canelo
    11 - Cotto
    12 - Canelo

That's 7-5 Cotto. A close fight with some close rounds so conceivably it could have been a draw or a close win for Canelo, but in no way was this a wipeout for Canelo.

What does your card look like?
    If I remember correctly I had Canelo up 8-3 going into the 12th but remeber one round that was razor close that I gave Canelo but said it could have. Went either way. 12th to Canelo for 117-111 but 116-112 is fine. I haven't watched it again yet but I'm going to write down each round and notes to see if the people who scored it very close have a point

Comment

I thought it was an 8-4 type of fight. Cotto did some nice things but canelo was mostly in control. Cotto actually appeared to be slapping some of his punches, which is not like him. I don't think he bothered canelo with any of his power shots. I was impressed with canelo's uppercut. In my opinion, several of the rounds were close, but clear Canelo rounds.

Comment

Anyone who only scored two rounds or less for Cotto in that fight needs to be banned from making a dime from boxing based on incompetence or corruption. I don't see how those scores are possible without someone being incompetent or corrupt.

The f#cked up thing is no one is gonna care about this in 2 months & no one is going to look into these judges scorecards much cuz "the right guy won" in most fans & officials eyes which is a ****ty way to look at it.

Comment

I didn't watch the hbo version. I thought the fight was competitive, I didn't score it however. I just had cotto wining some of the first half and canelo winning a few more towards the end.

I will say that Cotto had to work for his earnings whereas with Alvarez it was more about applying his strength and size advantage. I feel like judges are not only influenced by the roar of the crowd but by the body language of each fighter, and Cotto perhaps looked like he was worker harder to be more effective. I don't believe Cotto was given credit for the work he put in because he was making Alvarez miss and he was landing his jab fairly consistently.

That being said, I want to give Canelo his credit, it's just so obvious his size advantage played a major key, I can't actually say he fought a great fight or that there was a great gameplan there. He applied his strengths well and I think he's finally shed that green skin.

Comment

There were a fair amount of close rounds and Canelo was landing the big flashy punches. I could see it being wide for Canelo though because there were a lot of rounds he could have edged on his effective power punching.

Round by round scoring can be pretty deceptive and can be pretty wide in an otherwise competitive fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              Anyone who only scored two rounds or less for Cotto in that fight needs to be banned from making a dime from boxing based on incompetence or corruption. I don't see how those scores are possible without someone being incompetent or corrupt.

The f#cked up thing is no one is gonna care about this in 2 months & no one is going to look into these judges scorecards much cuz "the right guy won" in most fans & officials eyes which is a ****ty way to look at it.
              Agree. A lot off people were saying this yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
                The scores on press row were close. The most common score I have seen is 115-113 Canelo. To answer some of your questions, there are rounds where Canelo lands the more effective punches, especially in the second half of the fight. What I think people are missing is that Canelo didn't do a whole lot in the first half of the fight and even when he landed big punches they were often answered back with combinations in the FIRST half of the fight. I think some of you guys need to go back and watch it again. I plan to watch it again, but I have seen it twice and the second viewing I didn't score it, but it didn't change my feelings of how I saw it the first time. I am going to watch it back a third time and score it.

i will watch the fight again, but i certainly don't need to watch it again to know who won.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post

find me two concrete cotto rounds.

these aren't "i think he was better rounds," mind you. concrete cotto rounds. i'm curous to see which rounds you guys think couldn't go to canelo, particularly if you saw enough of them to give cotto the fight.

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly.

This is a common theme lately in boxing, commentators telling you what they want you to see, selective replays, BS cards.

The fight was close and I personally had it a draw. No problem with a close Cotto win though, but the scorecards were comical.

Comment

If u wanna see who clearly won just look at the reactions of cotto and canelos family members through out the fight, their reactions don't lie. Canelos family was jumping out of their seat chearing, while cottos looked helplessly worried, specially the one with the hair bun on his head lol

Comment

Working...
                      X