No announcement yet.

Razor Thin Fight Cotto Was Going to Get Jobbed Regardless

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
    I never got the impression that Cotto was ever controlling anything. Canelo controlled pretty much every exchange they had and made Cotto miss with good head movement before whacking him with cleaner harder shots.

I'm generalising because I struggled to give Cotto rounds but I can see why people thought it was close. Canelo wasn't beating him up in every round but he was just that bit superior in most of them
    No I think in the first 6 rounds Cotto was implementing his strategy, obviously he wasn't having everything his own way and he never would as they are both elite. But I think he was fighting the fight he wanted to fight and I think Canelo was struggling to get off as usual when he fights a high calibre fighter with boxing ability. I think the fight changed in the 8th when Cotto took some punishment and he never quite got his spring back after that point I agree with you, he started to struggle and Canelo became the boss, although he still couldn't quite put it on Cotto who fought well defensively. As I said I think Canelo did enough but it was a close fight where he got outboxed at times.

I'll give you a mirror of this fight. Paulie - Cotto. I think Cotto pulled that fight out 7-5 or 8-4. But Paulie won rounds by outboxing Cotto, being busier even though he didn't carry the power or damaging shots he was very much in the fight without necessarily being the ring general. Similarly to Canelo now Cotto was massively struggling with the weight and had to pace himself, but still.

Comment

Originally posted by Pac=Duran View Post
      Cotto won the first 6 except for one close one, think it was the 3rd. I thought he won tbh, or else a draw. It was close, but I think if someone deserved to win it was Cotto.
      The first 6? Are you serious? WOW

Comment

I knew Cotto fans would be crying unless their boy got knocked out but this is pretty sad. They are sore losers just like Cotto was last night.

Comment

what's the criteria for scoring if that fight was close?

canelo landed the more effective punches in basically every round. he looked 10-15 lbs bigger than cotto.

you've got to have an agenda if you gave cotto more rounds than canelo. you can't just score a round for the guy you like more. you need to be able to make an argument that he's more effective.

i'd be curious about what the scores looked like on press row. it was an entertaining fight, but it was not close.

if cotto really thought he won, do you think he'd run off to his dressing room like a child? of course not. if you really think you won, you do an interview.
          Last edited by New England; 11-22-2015, 10:18 AM.

Comment

when one guy is eating clean shots that stop him in his tracks, he's got to make a hell of an impression to keep from losing the rounds.

i thought canelo hurt cotto on several occasions. why the hell else do you stand stone still after eating something big? cotto use to wobble away when he took those shots. i think it was probably roach who explained that you look less hurt if you stay on the balls of your feet or your heels in stead of moving after you get hit.

his legs showed the effect of the hard rounds late in the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
              The scorecards were for shit, but the right man got the nod. No doubt in my mind about that. Canelo didn't press the action. I had a few theories as to why during the fight, but, in the end, I just didn't have a good answer. It's almost as if Canelo had too much respect for Cotto as a warrior to tear into him. The kid was crying after beating him. You could see Miguel's punches weren't enough to keep the bigger man at bay. I kept waiting for Alvarez to step it up, but that moment never came.
              because he got paid to carry cotto

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
                The first 6? Are you serious? WOW
                So many close rounds - I will watch it one more time before I give you my scorecard. I remember giving the first 6 about even, but also thinking that it could have been 4-2 Cotto.

Comment

I think it was back and forth, there wasnt a moment either guy changed the bout in their favor, If you got off who hurt who its Canelo who obviously did the damage with the few shots he did land, both guys were picking their times to throw, Cotto was more active popping a jab and circling, early on Cotto was outboxing Canelo though, my gripe is when Roy jones and Lampley were amazing by a combo Canelo threw that hit nothing, and Kellerman had to correct Roy a few times saying Roy I think that Cotto actually blocked that punch, it was disgusting, HBO is now paying Roy and Lampley off, they did that same it was funny, and you can tell Roy was not liking that by Kellerman he was probably saying in his head Max stick to the script man Canelo is HBOs cash cow.

Comment

i didnt score the fight but while watching it i felt canelo controlled the match

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                      what's the criteria for scoring if that fight was close?

canelo landed the more effective punches in basically every round. he looked 10-15 lbs bigger than cotto.

you've got to have an agenda if you gave cotto more rounds than canelo. you can't just score a round for the guy you like more. you need to be able to make an argument that he's more effective.

i'd be curious about what the scores looked like on press row. it was an entertaining fight, but it was not close.

if cotto really thought he won, do you think he'd run off to his dressing room like a child? of course not. if you really think you won, you do an interview.
                      The scores on press row were close. The most common score I have seen is 115-113 Canelo. To answer some of your questions, there are rounds where Canelo lands the more effective punches, especially in the second half of the fight. What I think people are missing is that Canelo didn't do a whole lot in the first half of the fight and even when he landed big punches they were often answered back with combinations in the FIRST half of the fight. I think some of you guys need to go back and watch it again. I plan to watch it again, but I have seen it twice and the second viewing I didn't score it, but it didn't change my feelings of how I saw it the first time. I am going to watch it back a third time and score it.

Comment

Working...
                      X