No announcement yet.

How Would gennady Perform Against Higher Level Opposition

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
    Against HOFers, he'd be B-level. Nothing against him as that's quite an accomplishment. I just don't see the defense or footwork one sees in HOF level boxers. But, he does have the power, instinct, and a few other characteristics that put him on the level of a Vargas, Dawson, Pavlik where he'll look fantastic until he fights top competition. I don't know that Golovkin is ever going to face top comp though.
    He's at least a level better than Vargas. I don't recall Vargas looking impressive even before he faced elites

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
      Let say he was facing a HOF level fighter and neither has a stylistic advantage.

Would he still put on dominant performances or would it turn into competitive 8-4, 7-5 type of decisions.
      We will never know because he will never agree to fight higher level completion. Higher level completion is Froch, Ward and Kovalev or even DeGale, not guys moving up from 140 pounds to fight him at 160. Golovkin will avoid these guys like the plague, and if he ever did fight them, he will lose three out of three and get KO'd two out of three times.

Comment

Impossible to know. He is 33 though so time is running out. I think his fans love his style so much that when he does step up and lose, they'll blame it on the age. Almost a decade already, not one elite fighter in sight on his resume. 10 years, jesus christ. Him becoming P4P top 3 is a tragedy and media/fan pressured activity rather than actually earning it. Imagine if Cotto would have been top 5 P4P when he was steamrolling through top 10 140 and 147 pounders from early 2000s to 2008? Never saw that, I think highest he ever was iirc was #8. Crazy how GGG gets treated to Top 3 P4P status for doing less than Cotto, Cotto beat guys at 140 and 147 and saw #8 P4P spot maximum. Golovkin does in only 1 weight for 3 years (fight top 10 guys), what Cotto did in two weight classes for 5 years, but one guy gets way more praise than the other. Cotto even fit in a future HOF'er there in Mosley.

Comment

We don't know because he doesn't appear willing to get into the ring with one.

Comment

Originally posted by Krusher P4P #1 View Post
            Resume should not be solely judged for one's skill, OK he might not have fought the greatest competition but who the hell in his division would fight him? Canelo and Cotto are shook thinking about him.

Point is, every person that was thrown in front of him got smacked around like a rag doll. His amateur background alone is evidence he's very experienced. Great chin, great power, can adapt.
            whats the tradition in boxing if your weight class is weak you _______ up

Comment

I hope he fights Saul Alvarez.

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
                no head movement? wat?????/ hahahaha
                i think pretty much everybody knows that.
                thats not anythang new

Comment

Originally posted by considerthis View Post
                  His head movement is subtle..but not nonexistent. His biggest flaw is he seems to trade defense for offence a bit too much when he hurts his opponent or has no respect for their power. I hope we see him in with top opposition soon cuz he's not getting any younger.
                  with top rank suing al haymon they'll never cross the bridge to fight quillen or jacobs even tho i think thats a great fight
                  so anybody on the haymon side is basically off the table realistically.
                  if you cant fight in house then MOVE UP IN WEIGHT
                  they stripped cotto of the wbc title most likely gon award it to ggg
                  so now he can move up and fight in a stiffer division the traditional middleweight division is a shell of its self from the early 80's and 90's now its a rather d+ c- weight class 168 is jumpin' better than 160 and thats sayin' somethin

Comment

Originally posted by Jubei View Post
                    Why do you even post on this forum? Everything you write is 100% predictable. You are in a wrong forum, racism isnt wanted here. I put you on ignore.
                    whats the biggest name on ggg's resume

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                      Maybe he would rise to the occasion or maybe he would be exposed as more hype than substance (like Lucian Bute or Ronda Rousey.)

We won't know until he finally faces higher level opposition.
                      Yeah, this. It's literally impossible to say until it happens. That's why, in boxing, you just can't say based on fantasy stuff and hypotheticals how a match up will go unless they've actually fought guys at that highest levels.

It's a whole different ball game when you're faced with opposition that can do everything you can do, and sometimes more. Flaws get exposed that you, they, and everyone else didn't even know were there, questions get asked that had never been asked and when things don't go as they normally do against lower level opposition, that's when you really see what happens.

Everything that worked against lower levels of opponents doesn't work, and suddenly when you hit a guy and he just hits you back as hard or harder, or you can't even hit him, or he hits you more, or you just never seem to be able to catch up to him while a jab is constantly popping you in the face...things change, maybe frustration sets in that never did against lower level guys, stamina issues creep in, adrenalin dumps wear you out. Lots of **** changes when you face adversity properly and fighters that can not only match you, but outmatch you.

We simply don't, can't, know that about GGG yet. He hasn't faced that level yet, and maybe never will, so that question might never get answered sadly. Hopefully it does, because he doesn't have that much time left frankly and there's only one or two guys of that level around his divisions.

Comment

Working...
                      X