Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Adrien Broner Promoted To WBA 'Super Champion' Status

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to all that WBC, IBF, and WBA meetings talking about balancing the sport?

Bull fockin' ****

Comment

Originally posted by DreamerUSA View Post
      If Broner was undefeated, was on a 21ko streak, had several defenses of his title, was unified, and was rampaging through his division....... Sure.
      Broner is undefeated below the welterweight division.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
        Equally rancid? lol

Sturm and Geale literally ducked Golovkin. It's the only real way there is to combat ducking is by stripping them of their titles (although they never stripped Sturm since he paid them off hundreds of thousands of dollars). Obviously you want to win it in the ring but when guys don't fight their mandatories what are you supposed to do?

The real problem here is having "regular" and "super" champions in the first damn place. This needs to end, its one of the most embarrassing things about boxing right now.
        GGG and Broner were both made super champ in the boardroom, not the ring. WBA's actions are slimy in both cases.

Yes, the "regular" and "super" designation [just to get a larger sanctioning fee] is disgraceful.

Comment

Yeah they do. The first couple shows they weren't mentioning the belts but they do all the time since. They most certainly care about belts since we see Haymon manage his guys into title fights all the time (the type of fights that would not be made if not for the belt, vacant title shot or title elimination).
          Okay, thanks, I stand corrected. I guess I just never noticed that.

Comment

What's that, five titles now for AB?

Comment

Originally posted by hitking View Post
              Broner is undefeated below the welterweight division.
              Lol so what? You think he wins in the same fashion as golovkin?

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                GGG and Broner were both made super champ in the boardroom, not the ring. WBA's actions are slimy in both cases.
                One came after the current Super Champion refused to fight his mandatory (Daniel Geale) and was stripped of his Super champion belt and thus awarded to Golovkin.

The other got it for no reason at all.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingIsGreat View Post
                  Okay, thanks, I stand corrected. I guess I just never noticed that.
                  Yeah it was weird in the first couple shows they seemed to really try to avoid showing any belts or mentioning them at all costs, and then it suddenly changed and belts were important. I'm not sure if that had to do with some other plans that didn't pan out or was planned for later (PBC belts) or if they had a change of philosophy.

Comment

I don't even know how to properly respond to this.

Comment

One came after the current Super Champion refused to fight his mandatory (Daniel Geale) and was stripped of his Super champion belt and thus awarded to Golovkin.

The other got it for no reason at all.
                      I get your point but I agree with Dunn

They could have stripped him for ducking Golovkin, but instead of awarding the belt in a boardroom, sanctioned a fight with the highest available contender, and Golovkin for the Super belt. Even if Golovkin steamrolls that opponent, he won the title in the ring

Comment

Working...
                      X