Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hyde: Rigo Destroyed Own Career..."Turned Down Many Multi-Million Dollar Offers"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PBP. View Post
    Not really. Maidana was financially compensated for those disadvantages. What would you advise him to do instead? Walk way from the biggest payday of his career?

Canelo isn't a Haymon guy and he dropped 2 pounds for Floyd because the incentive was worth it. Which is why GGG will go to 154 for Floyd only.

Everybody will ********** themselves to fight Mayweather Haymon or not and a competent manager would advise them to do so.
    you are missing the point. You cannot get independant representation, when the person representing you also represents the other side of the deal. It doesnt matter if the person is "happy". The law calls for a manager to have a fiduciary duty to the fighter, and that is impossible if he represents the other side as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
      I ran small shows (800-1,000 seat venues) for 12 years, You do it for a number of reasons:

1. You enjoy doing it and have the money to spare

The only time I made money was when I co-promoted some shows with Gary Shaw, Square Ring, and Golden Boy.
      12 years of losing money and you do it because you got money to spare? Can we be friends?

Seriously though I heard that even some of the bigger promoters don't make too much money either (we're not talking TR or GBP big).

Comment

• Originally posted by khal-d View Post
        12 years of losing money and you do it because you got money to spare? Can we be friends?

Seriously though I heard that even some of the bigger promoters don't make too much money either (we're not talking TR or GBP big).
        sometimes you dont. Sometimes you might have to break even on a show (or even eat a loss), but you do it because you have contract minimums you are obligated to, and you want to keep your guy moving forward.

Comment

This is why I support Haymon's model. You get paid properly and promoters promote fights, not fighters. No hidden bull****. That's why I laugh at the violation of the Ali Acy allegations. The Act was made to look out for the fighters and he's doing just that.
          The old model is proven though. Those old style promoters first had to learn how to make money on a boxing promotion. Haymon models are less proven. First it was using Floyd as leverage with the network to get dates and big money for mismatches for his clients. Now paying for dates and large purses with hedge fund money. But I agree, free money is the best model

Comment

• Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
            you are missing the point. You cannot get independant representation, when the person representing you also represents the other side of the deal. It doesnt matter if the person is "happy". The law calls for a manager to have a fiduciary duty to the fighter, and that is impossible if he represents the other side as well.
            I understand. This is just a bad example. Both fighters had teams to iron out these conditions. And they agreed on terms.

Comment

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
              The old model is proven though. Those old style promoters first had to learn how to make money on a boxing promotion. Haymon models are less proven. First it was using Floyd as leverage with the network to get dates and big money for mismatches for his clients. Now paying for dates and large purses with hedge fund money. But I agree, free money is the best model
              Boxing is dying in the US. The old model isn't working. ,

Comment

Boxing is dying in the US. The old model isn't working. ,
                True though same model is used everywhere else including the few places its doing well, cause so far it's proven the only sustainable one.

Comment

• Originally posted by killakali View Post
                  It is the same for any fighter. If Floyd makes 100 mil uncle sam is taking 39,600,000 off the top for federal tax. Thats why I say don't include taxes in the discussion. We all have to pay them. Depending on what state you live if you got a 20k bonus from your job you would be lucky to get a check for $12,000 after all the taxes. Feel me
                  Bernard Hopkins was quoted as saying, that out of $1million dollars to split in total for the Roy Jones Jr fight (1993), he saw $85,000 net. So yeah, it's important to point out what the fighter is actually going to get to understand why is he saying no to a certain purse.

You can't just say, oh $1.8 million for 3 fights, that's $1.8 million, that's a lot of money, why is he turning it down? Well i'm telling you one reason he's turning it down, because he's not actually going to see that much, he's going to see less than half of that. I'm sure if Rigo was getting $1.8 million dollars after taxes, manager fee, promoter fee, he'd take it. But that's not how it works, I think people have in there mind what $1.8 million dollar would be for them, what they'd do with it. But ignore that first you gotta some people and you gotta pay uncle sam and now suddenly you are not a millionaire, and if you have $500k of that consider yourself lucky.

Comment

• I like rigo, but he needed to fight all comers. I enjoyed his donaire fight. Wanted to see him do that to others, but for whatever reason he didn't.

Hope he gets his whatever fixed and gets back in the ring.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                      Bernard Hopkins was quoted as saying, that out of $1million dollars to split in total for the Roy Jones Jr fight (1993), he saw $85,000 net. So yeah, it's important to point out what the fighter is actually going to get to understand why is he saying no to a certain purse.

You can't just say, oh $1.8 million for 3 fights, that's $1.8 million, that's a lot of money, why is he turning it down? Well i'm telling you one reason he's turning it down, because he's not actually going to see that much, he's going to see less than half of that. I'm sure if Rigo was getting $1.8 million dollars after taxes, manager fee, promoter fee, he'd take it. But that's not how it works, I think people have in there mind what $1.8 million dollar would be for them, what they'd do with it. But ignore that first you gotta some people and you gotta pay uncle sam and now suddenly you are not a millionaire, and if you have $500k of that consider yourself lucky.
                      You're still way better off starting off with 1.8m that 180k or 0

Comment

Working...
                      X