Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hyde: Rigo Destroyed Own Career..."Turned Down Many Multi-Million Dollar Offers"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by khal-d View Post
    Had a feeling that it wouldn't apply to the situation we discussed (promoter signing his fighter to another promoter's card).
    technically I believe it would apply, because the law covers direct or indirect revenue. I just dont know how a court would rule. And also how would the court know about it in the first place as no agreements would be filed with any commission. Someone would have to sue, subpoena the documents, and hope the promoter complied.

Seems like a long shot lol

Comment

She made very solid points and you could argue that the fighter headlining is only one part of the equation for some promoters.

If I'm a promoter with a TV deal and sponsors, what's to say any fighter headlining is the reason why the show brings revenue? Cunningham headlining her NBC shows definitely wasn't the reason she made revenue (which she probably didn't make much anyway in reality).
      Without the fighters there is no show. There is no Main Events. They have a shelf life of 5 years while Main Events is perpetual.

If she can't compensate her fighters than she needs to release them and let them go to Haymon where they can earn a decent living.

Comment

• Originally posted by PBP. View Post
        This is why I support Haymon's model. You get paid properly and promoters promote fights, not fighters. No hidden bull****. That's why I laugh at the violation of the Ali Acy allegations. The Act was made to look out for the fighters and he's doing just that.
        That remains to be seen. Sure, the top 25 or 30 of his guys are doing fine, but what about the other 170? I personally know a half dozen or more who are less than thrilled. I also know Keith Thurman, who is rather happy. So it depends on which side of the fight you are on.

Do you really believe Maidana got unbiased advice from Al about the glove issue with Floyd? Do you really believe Al went to bat for him? lol

A manager cannot represent both sides of a fight, because they are opposing interests.

Comment

• Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
          That remains to be seen. Sure, the top 25 or 30 of his guys are doing fine, but what about the other 170? I personally know a half dozen or more who are less than thrilled. I also know Keith Thurman, who is rather happy. So it depends on which side of the fight you are on.

Do you really believe Maidana got unbiased advice from Al about the glove issue with Floyd? Do you really believe Al went to bat for him? lol

A manager cannot represent both sides of a fight, because they are opposing interests.

Did Daniel Geale get unbiased advice in the fight with Cotto? Or Fonfara with Chavez Jr.?

You have to give in sometimes. Maidana is fat, eating well and is in no hurry to box again. I'm sure he could care less about the gloves right now.

Comment

Did Daniel Geale get unbiased advice in the fight with Cotto? Or Fonfara with Chavez Jr.?

You have to give in sometimes. Maidana is fat, eating well and is in no hurry to box again. I'm sure he could care less about the gloves right now.
            I see, so its ok if nobody represented the fighters best interest, as long as he is fat and happy?

That seems to be the complete opposite of your position on the revenue disclosure issue......

let me see if I have this right.

Promoter -has NO fiduciary duty to represent fighters best interest - but MUST disclose revenue or they are ripping off the fighter.

Manager - has legal fiduciary duty to represent fighters best interest - but as long as fighter is fat and happy its perfectly ok to sell out their interests

That about right?
            Last edited by OnePunch; 11-02-2015, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Without the fighters there is no show. There is no Main Events. They have a shelf life of 5 years while Main Events is perpetual.

If she can't compensate her fighters than she needs to release them and let them go to Haymon where they can earn a decent living.
              I do agree that the fighters should be paid and paid well, at least relative to their drawing power. 100%. If 100m is being made off a fight, the fighter should see a good amount even if 10m would be a huge payday for the guy.

But it can't be that easy for promoters either with actually building the company and losing tons of money on all the fighters who never make it.

I always wonder how people make money in this business period outside of the upper echelon.

Comment

and without someone like Top Rank making investments in the development of fighters, Floyd Mayweather would be the most talented car detailer in Grand Rapids, MI

Comment

I see, so its ok if nobody represented the fighters best interest, as long as he is fat and happy?

That seems to be the complete opposite of your position on the revenue disclosure issue......
                  Not really. Maidana was financially compensated for those disadvantages. What would you advise him to do instead? Walk way from the biggest payday of his career?

Canelo isn't a Haymon guy and he dropped 2 pounds for Floyd because the incentive was worth it. Which is why GGG will go to 154 for Floyd only.

Everybody will ********** themselves to fight Mayweather Haymon or not and a competent manager would advise them to do so.

Comment

I do agree that the fighters should be paid and paid well, at least relative to their drawing power. 100%. If 100m is being made off a fight, the fighter should see a good amount even if 10m would be a huge payday for the guy.

But it can't be that easy for promoters either with actually building the company and losing tons of money on all the fighters who never make it.

I always wonder how people make money in this business period outside of the upper echelon.
                    They dont. I ran small shows (800-1,000 seat venues) for 12 years, and never made a dime. Usually the shows lost 5 grand or so. You do it for a number of reasons:

1. You enjoy doing it and have the money to spare

2. You are using the shows to promote another business (law firm, doctors office, etc)

3. you have fighters you are trying to develop and cant / dont want to just write checks to put them on other peoples shows

4. You are a glutton for punishment and disappointment

5. Any combination of the above

The only time I made money was when I co-promoted some shows with Gary Shaw, Square Ring, and Golden Boy.

Comment

and without someone like Top Rank making investments in the development of fighters, Floyd Mayweather would be the most talented car detailer in Grand Rapids, MI
                      Sure. They're entitled to a return. Never denied that.

Comment

Working...
                      X