No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Malik Scott Survives Knockdown, Outpoints Thompson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ramplamp View Post
    That Wilder/Scott fight was suspect as can be. I've never played the "x fighter took a dive" card, but that is the one fight where things just didn't look right. Punch looked like it was blocked, or maybe partially grazed him, and he dropped like a sack of potatoes.
    And the way he was looking around when he was down. He was really trying to play off the punch but tried to look around to see how the people were reacting to it and in a sneaky way.

Comment

Originally posted by Strive 4 Truth View Post
      I agree, hopefully these Morrison boys can turn out to be something.
      Eh...seems like a longshot there. The one already has a draw vs "just need you to fall down pretty" level opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by Strive 4 Truth View Post
        Yea the Americans choose other sports such as football or basketball. Boxing these days get the leftovers and it shows.
        An oft repeated and tiring myth. Kids do not say, hmm, should I be a hw champ or an nfl player? Nfl I guess. That isn't how it works. Find a new explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentblue View Post
          So The guy Wilder blasted in one round just beat a top ten Heavyweight.
          Wilder-Scott is widely considered to be the most obviously fixed fight of the past 20 years haha

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            I considered Thompson #2 til last night. If you don't, fair enough, I'm not overly invested in anything US HW related.
            Jennings and Wilder are far and away the best American heavyweights currently. Thompson hasn't been near that level for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Virgil Caine View Post
              An oft repeated and tiring myth. Kids do not say, hmm, should I be a hw champ or an nfl player? Nfl I guess. That isn't how it works. Find a new explanation.
              No, if they show any special athletic ability like you'd want from an exceptional heavyweight than they are immediately pushed into other sports and grow up playing them, so the only heavyweights we have are the guys who don't show that ability, are somehow missed, or try and fail at other sports. Jennings and Wilder are the best American heavyweights and they are both guys who tried and failed in other sports, so they went to boxing late and as a last resort.

Athletes like Jennings and Wilder are a dime a dozen at the high school and college level of basketball and football.

Comment

Deontay "The Fixer" Wilder, he punches so hard, people think the fight's fixed.

Comment

Malik Scott can be an OK gatekeeper, like if he fought Dominic Braezalle I would expect Scott to win that fight, put him in with anyone real he gets smoked with the quickness.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                    No, if they show any special athletic ability like you'd want from an exceptional heavyweight than they are immediately pushed into other sports and grow up playing them, so the only heavyweights we have are the guys who don't show that ability, are somehow missed, or try and fail at other sports. Jennings and Wilder are the best American heavyweights and they are both guys who tried and failed in other sports, so they went to boxing late and as a last resort.

Athletes like Jennings and Wilder are a dime a dozen at the high school and college level of basketball and football.
                    No, it actually has a lot more to do with, A, the general secular decline of boxing in the US, and B, the increased competition in the sport from the collapse of communism and entry into the pros of fighters from countries of the former USSR and its satellites (Bulgaria, Poland, etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by Virgil Caine View Post
                      No, it actually has a lot more to do with, A, the general secular decline of boxing in the US, and B, the increased competition in the sport from the collapse of communism and entry into the pros of fighters from countries of the former USSR and its satellites (Bulgaria, Poland, etc.).
                      And boxing has declined because every good athlete is pushed to try other sports as kids. They're playing football and basketball before they are 10. None of them end up in boxing gyms. It's not even about making a pro league for 90% of them. It's the best way for most of the kids in this country to get into college and get a worthwhile education.

If you're really arguing that the decline in American heavyweights has nothing to do with how colossally popular football and basketball have become and the impact they have on American society, then you probably don't live here or don't know what you're talking about. Again, our best heavyweights are failed high school and college football and basketball players.

Comment

Working...
                      X