No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Malik Scott Survives Knockdown, Outpoints Thompson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ravens Fan View Post
    Finally a word I can understand, I guess you write normal when you are upset. By the way you misspelled douche.

But at least you are right about one thing. That is why just about all newspapers and books and ****zines that the general population of the USA would read are written on a 7th to 9th grade level.

And if you do really speak that way you must have some rather boring conversations. That is unless of course you spend your time speaking to Noah Webster or who ever it was that invented the game Scrabble.

If you also honestly believe that the popularity of the MMA is irrelevant in a conversation dealing with the decline of the popularity of boxing within the USA, then you should really truly refrain from calling anyone else a douchebag!
    Yep, I do think it is largely irrelevant.

The decline of boxing happened long before.

Most fans are either general combat sports fans, who like boxing as well, or tapout wearing douchebags, who just want to see blood and people being knocked unconscious by winging punches.

Think whatever you like, not everyone has to share your opinion.

And no I don't speak the same way I write. I just happen to know how to write. It's called having an education.

Not sure why I'm even explaining that to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Virgil Caine View Post
      I specifically said American heavyweight champions.

Mayweather is from a boxing family.

The Klitschkos are products of the Soviet sports academies.

I don't know Ward's case, and I never said it never happens, but it is very rare, across all weight divisions.

Again, my specific challenge was name me an American heavyweight champion from a comfortable middleclass background.

My point was that it illustrates that boxing is indeed for the most part a sport for people from poor backgrounds. It has somewhat to do with the institutional structure based largely on inner-city gyms, and other things.
      Deontay Wilder is from a middle class background:

http://sports.cbslocal.com/2015/06/1...yweight-boxer/

Kids from poor backgrounds are now emulating the athletes they see on TV. TV and cable weren't affordable until the 70's/80's, as soon as they were the popularity in athletes of both sports grew because their fan base grew.

Cable needed the MLB/NBA/NFL and they needed cable, the effect of them both exploding lead to a decline in boxing's popularity, and a huge increase in all those other sports.

Kids are the target audience of these sports, they're exposed to them from a very young age. They market clothing, video games, shoes, backpacks, hats etc. try to walk through a hood with Jordans on and you'll either get jacked or killed.

Boxing just isn't relevant to their interests anymore because it's been replaced by the NFL/NBA.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
        Deontay Wilder is from a middle class background:

http://sports.cbslocal.com/2015/06/1...yweight-boxer/

Kids from poor backgrounds are now emulating the athletes they see on TV. TV and cable weren't affordable until the 70's/80's, as soon as they were the popularity in athletes of both sports grew because their fan base grew.

Cable needed the MLB/NBA/NFL and they needed cable, the effect of them both exploding lead to a decline in boxing's popularity, and a huge increase in all those other sports.

Kids are the target audience of these sports, they're exposed to them from a very young age. They market clothing, video games, shoes, backpacks, hats etc. try to walk through a hood with Jordans on and you'll either get jacked or killed.

Boxing just isn't relevant to their interests anymore because it's been replaced by the NFL/NBA.
        Wilder is a paper champ.

But okay.

There is one, who is likewise a result of the dead heavyweight division, and who I've already described as the 'Great American Hope'. He is a converted basketball player, who took advantage of the deadbeat HW division, and was carefully maneuvered into a vacant title shot. Hardly nullifies my point. It actually strengthens it in a way.

I also was well aware someone would bring up Wilder when I posed the question.

Comment

Working...
        X