Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Duran: Mayweather Not TBE, I Would Have Beaten Him

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Duran of 1980 Montreal was maniacal. He was a nonstop machine and would have cut the ring off and unloaded volumes of punches. He had speed, head movement, fast on his feet, power and would have overwhelmed Mayweather. No era compares to the late 70's/early 80's welterweight division; it was the best in 147 pound division in history.

Comment

True. Mayweather would have picked apart by most of them in those days. And yes, Duran was a destroyer through and through. He had a great mean streak but had controlled aggression to go along with it. Unreal.

Comment

Originally posted by jvsnypes View Post
        103 fights with 70 KO's!!! That's unheard of in this day and time. I really don't know how the 2 can be compared to each other, simply 2 totally different eras. If I had to put money on who would win between the 2 in just a one time heads up fight, I would be forced to go with Duran. No version of Floyd beats the Duran that showed up in Montreal. Duran forced Ray to fight his fight. I think he would force Floyd into a brawl as well. As intelligent as Floyd is in the ring, I just don't think he would have the fire power to keep Duran off of him. If he didn't engage with Duran, he would end up stinking the place out by being too defensive and simply fighting to survive. Floyd is a defensive genius, so I seriously doubt he would get Ko'd. But once he tasted Duran's power and felt that relentless pressure, he would go into survival mode. Leonard had dangerous punching power to keep Duran honest, but Duran still walked through him. Floyd doesn't possess that type of punching power, and pot shotting would not be effective against a fighter on the level of Duran. On the flip side of that, I think duran was just an ordinary fighter when he came in a fight unmotivated and out of shape. In that situation, Floyd would shine.
        True. I think Duran was the best ever, but it all depended on whether or not the right Duran showed up, at least in the 80s. In the 70s, he was a beast all the way.

Comment

And we wont even go into what Hearns would have done. Mayweather has never been an inside come forward fighter so he would not be able to fight Hearns on the inside, past that jab, or on the outside, where Hearns would have used his lightning ram-rod jab to line Mayweather up for the right hand. Lights out by the 6th round. Even prime Cuevas would have been a threat. Maidana, Corley, and Mosley are LIGHT punchers compared to Cuevas and they rocked him. He would have to avoid all 12 rounds the punches that broke jaws, ribs, eye sockets.

And Leonard's punches were lighting bolts. Once Leonard unleashed one of those blistering 12 punch combos, Mayweather would have been reeling. Mayweather would have nothing to keep most of these guys off. He would have had enough difficulty with a prime Whitaker, let alone the fab four. Benitez would have made him miss quite a bit and was a very fast fighter. Out of these five guys, Mayweather loses to 3-4.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBloodGod View Post
            LmFAO at these clowns hollering Duran beats Floyd but not explaining how?!

The only way Duran beats Mayweather is if Floyd fights like he fought in Chino 1.

In that case Duran mauls his ass lmaO
            He kills him.. Floyd can't punch and all Duran did was punch. Maidana kicked Floyd's ass, and Maidana sucks. Different era buddy. I know you're making this a racial thing, because you're a moron... But the greatest boxer ever is probably a black guy becauseeee the only real world champion is the heavyweight champion. But Floyd gets murdered by Duran, Leonard, Trinidad, a young De La Hoya. Mayweather is hyped up garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by richardt View Post
              And we wont even go into what Hearns would have done. Mayweather has never been an inside come forward fighter so he would not be able to fight Hearns on the inside, past that jab, or on the outside, where Hearns would have used his lightning ram-rod jab to line Mayweather up for the right hand. Lights out by the 6th round. Even prime Cuevas would have been a threat. Maidana, Corley, and Mosley are LIGHT punchers compared to Cuevas and they rocked him. He would have to avoid all 12 rounds the punches that broke jaws, ribs, eye sockets.

And Leonard's punches were lighting bolts. Once Leonard unleashed one of those blistering 12 punch combos, Mayweather would have been reeling. Mayweather would have nothing to keep most of these guys off. He would have had enough difficulty with a prime Whitaker, let alone the fab four. Benitez would have made him miss quite a bit and was a very fast fighter. Out of these five guys, Mayweather loses to 3-4.

All the way. Leonard, Duran, Hearns, Cuevas and Benitez would have all been too much for him. The welterweights Mayweather fought don't even compare to those beasts from that era. Mayweather wouldn't have fought any of them. Too picky.

Comment

Pound for pound rankings are worthless. I know a guy in a wheelchair who is 50 and 0 against other guys in wheelchairs. I guess limb for limb, he is the greatest fighter of all time.

Comment

Could you imagine what a guy like Hearns would have done to him??? Hearns was Paul Williams times a thousand. He would have killed Floyd from the distance. Terry Norris, Michael Nunn, Chavez. There are a whole bunch of dudes that would have creamed this guy.

Comment

I'm sure if you ask, Floyd, he'll say that he would've beaten Duran as well. We'll never ****ing know.

Comment

An ATG who also believes he IS The GOAT!? Get outta town!! I am sure Leonard believes he is..Ali believed he is. You would be mistaken if you didnt believe this sort of confidence is present in all stand out athletes...ppl grow vaj when Mayweather claims hes the Greatest. I refuse to call him by that juvenile acronym although i dont necessarily dispute it.

Comment

Working...
                      X