No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Canelo Rejects Fighting Golovkin, Unless at 155-Pounds

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Progrssive_Jedi View Post
    Funny thing is, Roach is saying Cotto will take the fight at 160.

I'm starting to give Cotto much more respect if he is saying that.

They won't sanction it under 155. I know that's what he said. Can you think of a contracted MW fight that was under 155?

Ok **** it, I'm not listening again.

Even if he said it, it's not the same situation. They are in two divisions.

I somehow missed it. But I don't feel like going back.

So I'll go off that assumption.

Why isn't that fair if they are not fighting for a title in either division.

Ward is a LHW (172 last fight), and GGG weighs as much as Canelo.

Canelo is trying to drain a guy who weighs the same as him.
    Roach isn't saying they'd fight GGG at 160 at all! Do your homework. Roach said, "I hate catchweights. I'd love to have Cotto fight Gennady, but there'd be a lot of negotiations, things to work out. I'm not his manager or Cotto; they'd have to work out those details". Word for word what Freddie said. NOW that means, Freddie is old school, and believes we should not have catchweights. BUT at the end of the day it's Cotto's decision where he fights, and Cotto has already said he's not fighting GGG at 160. Cotto is a negotiating diva, he'll never fight GGG unless he comes down in weight which is just gutless of Cotto, which it won't matter because Canelo beats Cotto anyway and he won't fight GGG at 160 either!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by JaguaresMx View Post
      We don't disagree on principle. I just don't think that belt regulations are suddenly the important thing. They're marketing tools. They can and are bent at will.

In the last analysis (regardless of what anyone here thinks or how wrong it may seem) GGG will have to bend to Cotto or Canalos demands. I hope he does because the odds of them facing him are not great. But if they do, I hope he doesn't go full diva and just faces the reality that he is no position to force anything. He'd likely destroy them both, though I think Canelo puts up a good fight. Cotto is just too small.

And if he is the lineal champion at 160, then he fight at whatever the **** weight he wants. Many fights will open.

But the first order of business is to put the a side act aside and let Cotto/Canelo take him for a ride.
      Although I agree he should take it, I still think they vacate.

I don't like it.

Cotto for sure shouldn't be here, but that's his doing, not GGG's.

Canelo, I think he is demanding 155 so after he loses, he can say, see, I was never a MW.

But more likely, he is gonna just duck him completely. Canelo has never been that great.

Comment

• Originally posted by TLC8 View Post
        Roach isn't saying they'd fight GGG at 160 at all! Do your homework. Roach said, "I hate catchweights. I'd love to have Cotto fight Gennady, but there'd be a lot of negotiations, things to work out. I'm not his manager or Cotto; they'd have to work out those details". Word for word what Freddie said. NOW that means, Freddie is old school, and believes we should not have catchweights. BUT at the end of the day it's Cotto's decision where he fights, and Cotto has already said he's not fighting GGG at 160. Cotto is a negotiating diva, he'll never fight GGG unless he comes down in weight which is just gutless of Cotto, which it won't matter because Canelo beats Cotto anyway and he won't fight GGG at 160 either!!!
        I read the quote, that's why I said I WOULD give Cotto more respect.

Hell, even if Cotto takes the fight.

Canelo, I can't respect what he is doing. So many MW have been fight at JR.MW for years now.

But they act like these guys are courageous.

Comment

• Originally posted by i'm a fun haver View Post
          It's a real possibility that Canelo could get knocked out by Cotto.
          Chins don't get better over time especially when the guy is cutting so much weight.
          This whole thing could become a disaster lol
          No shot Canelo gets KOd. He's never been knocked down, and like you said, "chins don't get better over time"... Cotto got KOd by Pacquiao. Canelo isn't having to cut any huge amount of weight, he's in prime shape. He fought Kirkland, the hardest hitting guy in the division and walked thru him. Cotto chose Geale instead of a risk like Kirkland. Canelo will stop Cotto in the last half of the fight. No WAY Cotto KOs Canelo. Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by SchoolTheseCats View Post
            Somebody is always smaller then someone after weighins, the two greats of this era in floyd and manny was outweighed normally by 15-20lbs on fight night and still overcame it because of they greatness if Golovikin as good as you guys claim a guy outweighing him doesn't matter stop with the weight excuse, fact of matter is canelo fights in his 155lb division hasn't attempted to make 160 limit yet and feels comfortable at 155 nobody changing that not lil g, WBC or forum warriors
            It's true, Canelo is in his own little imaginary division.

Luckily the sanctioning bodies have decided to say F U Canelo, give that belt up

Comment

No shot Canelo gets KOd. He's never been knocked down, and like you said, "chins don't get better over time"... Cotto got KOd by Pacquiao. Canelo isn't having to cut any huge amount of weight, he's in prime shape. He fought Kirkland, the hardest hitting guy in the division and walked thru him. Cotto chose Geale instead of a risk like Kirkland. Canelo will stop Cotto in the last half of the fight. No WAY Cotto KOs Canelo. Lol
              This thread is still going crazy!

Comment

• Originally posted by RobBond View Post
                Really disappointed to hear Canelo make such an outlandish remark...the guy is 30 days away from fighting for the lineal middleweight championship and weighs 167 lbs. How the **** does he not consider himself a middleweight? With that being said, there is now less incentive to pay money to watch Cotto-Canelo, knowing that belt is being vacated no matter what the outcome. Considering how Matthysse just got blasted, I don't blame De La Hoya for being overly cautious with his only remaining cash cow, but as always boxing fans are the ones who suffer.

All these people on here making "little G" remarks are hysterical. Your idol's dullness in the ring is only surpassed by his "skills" in dishing out insults. How long did it take someone to think that s*it up? I understand the whole demographic loyalty, everyone is guilty of that to an extent, but who in all honesty is really entertained by the "punch, clinch, punch clinch" style? Who watches any sport solely to see good defense? Offense is what has always entertained the masses.
                AND on fight night, GGG had rehydrated to 170, and Lemieux rehydrated to 175. Canelo today weighs 167. There's an old saying "don't let anything but fear get in the way". Cotto & Canelo know there's a mandatory fight following theirs, to fight GGG. After watching the bloody beatdown Lemieux just took, Cotto & Canelo are already planting seeds they want no part of GGG at 160. "Don't let anything but fear get in the way, boys!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Progrssive_Jedi View Post
                  Will you be Ok if GGG forces Ward down to 160? Or 163 even?

So if CW is the new normal, then GGG never has to move up to challenge himself, he can just demand everyone come to him from 168.
                  He's not forcing Ward to come down in weight. He's planning on unifying at 160, then moving up to fight Ward and/or Kovalev and GGG has been very clear and transparent that way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                    He did try to get Ward down in weight, I believe he asked for a 164lb weight limit.
                    Ward is going the other way in weight. He fought at 172, there's talk of a fight with Kovalev (175) now that Ward has a three fight deal with HBO. So nobody is expecting Ward to come down in weight. He's not even fighting at 168 any longer. So GGG has said he wants to unify 160, then he himself will go up in weight. The problem is, IF that Kovalev/Ward happens, Ward gets knocked out.

Comment

He's not forcing Ward to come down in weight. He's planning on unifying at 160, then moving up to fight Ward and/or Kovalev and GGG has been very clear and transparent that way.
                      I am being more devils advocate here.

They will defend this Canelo move, but if GGG drags Ward to 161, then they will scream, scream, scream.

I'm screen shooting each and every one of them, so if it happens, I'm gonna say STFU.

Comment

Working...
                      X