No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Canelo Rejects Fighting Golovkin, Unless at 155-Pounds

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
    But, when was it convenient for you to decide that ?

Catchweights have been around for a long time now.....

So..... is that permanently, or just for this fight ?

Have you supported catchweights in the past ?
    No. I've never supported catchweights. I like GGG and dislike Ward but, if you have the time on your hands and care enough, you will find me laughing at the 164 catchweight idea. Ward would be zombie, he can't even make 168 anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by mick1303 View Post
      Golovkin does not hold any belts at 168
      So what, how is that even relevant ?

Neither did Chavez, and Golovkin was prepared to fight him.

Originally posted by mick1303 View Post
      and Ward is not his mandatory.
      So what, how is that even relevant ?

Neither was Chavez, and Golovkin was prepared to fight him.

I think you have missed the point about catchweights.

What the fcuk do catchweights have to do with belts and mandatories ?

The purpose of a catchweight is to enable a fair fight.

Cotto weighs 153, so your " ignorant " comment may have been misplaced.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cruisin' View Post
        Canelo is already a middleweight. 155 is middleweight. He is just stalling and ducking.

You can't compare GGG or Ward to this. Sure they've both requested (and Ward has fought at) catchweights before.

Canelo is a career catchweight. A 155 lb weight division doesn't exist. If you fight there 5 times in a row you should either be considered a middleweight or be ineligible to fight for belts.

Everyone else has to play by the rules, so does he.

Who knows how much different every fight in history would have gone if everyone got their own "custom" weight division.
        If 155 is middleweight, then lets go..... no more excuses !

Or not..... ?

Or is 160 middleweight..... in which case it would be fairer to give Canelo a voluntary defence to allow him to adapt to 160 before throwing him in with a beast like Golovkin?

Take your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cruisin' View Post
          No. I've never supported catchweights. I like GGG and dislike Ward but, if you have the time on your hands and care enough, you will find me laughing at the 164 catchweight idea. Ward would be zombie, he can't even make 168 anymore.
          Oki, fair enough.

Truth be known, I feel exactly the same.

But unless catchweights are completely abolished, I will not be able to accept somebody taking it upon themselves to suddenly decide TODAY that catchweights are completely unacceptable simply because it doesn't suit his guy.

That would simply be a continuation of the same catchweight-abuse and weight manipulation that have made catchweights such a problem.

If catchweights had been abolished years ago..... Cotto would be fighting Golovkin at 160 (we wouldnt be discussing it)..... Canelo would be fighting at 154 (or 160)..... and Golovkin would not look like such an ass for avoiding Ward.

* catchweights exist
          * it is too late to ban them before Golovkin fights the Cotto/Canelo winner

Comment

• Originally posted by RetroSpeed05 View Post
            ^^This is right on the money. Boxing might be the only sport where the star gets all the advantages and some fans don't give a **** how there favorite fighter gets a win. Whatever it takes i guess, no pride in a even playing field.
            Thats bull... NFL and NBA refs are biased with their "stars".

For example cam newton being told hes not old enough to get that call

Comment

• Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
              To clarify, Canelo gets dumped on for not moving up to fight Golovkin but the same guys say Golovkin (who is at least 170 on fight night) can't go to 168 to fight a guy he called out? Pick a set of standards and stick with it guys. Your arguments are weak as hell.
              Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
              So let me get this straight.... Canelo who weighs MORE then GGG on fight night and fights in an imaginary weight class moving up is the same thing as GGG moving up and fighting Ward even though he'd be way smaller...

Your logic is weak as hell
              There's no logic in what he's saying, just blatent bias.

Canelo wouldn't need to move up for GGG, just defend the MW title at the MW limit of 160.

Comment

• Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
                Why would that worry you ?

A fair fight, and the winner takes everything they decide to put on the table.

Sounds great to me.
                I'm not worried about anything.
                I'm not involved any farther than just watching fights lol
                It just doesn't make much sense to me why Canelo/GBP would pay money so Canelo can drain himself

30 days out GGG is 165 for a fight at 160
                30 days out Canelo is 168.7 for a fight at 155 lol

Canelo is almost 4lbs heavier 30 days before his fight than GGG was and Canelo has to weigh in 5lbs lighter than GGG did.
                I doubt GGG is worried about it either lol

Comment

• this is weak sauce from canelo

i didnt expect him to ***** out like this. he is a warrior and if he beats cotto then he should man up like the aztec warrior he is and fight ggg at 160.

he walks around heavier than gennady ffs

Comment

• Originally posted by FLYBOY View Post
                    This catch weight nonsense is getting annoying. It's cowardly.
                    But is it ok for ggg to do it?

Cuz I've only seen like 2 ggg fans call bullshiiit on the 164 lbs catchweight for ward.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dean_Razorback View Post
                      lol, a month away from the fight this guy is 167 lbs, he IS a fucking MW
                      That crossed my mind as well...

Comment

Working...
                      X