Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gennady Golovkin vs David Lemiuex Does Roughly 150,000 PPV Buys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other user brought up a good point several weeks ago about the advertisement of this fight not being promoted that well and that could be something to do with it, you can't just expect to sell a PPV If you're not making sure the viewers you want buying aren't seeing billboards, interviews and adverts that and proof this fight is worth the dough.

The fact casual people were willing to pay $75 for a Berto Vs Floyd fight (albeit sales weren't that high for a Floyd PPV) shows that there is work to be done the casual fans need to learn a bit more.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
      We already knew the fight was sold out 5 days before the fight. So this barrier was passed. The next barrie was the PPV sales, which he didn't appear to surpass.

No need to go back to something we already discussed. Lets stay on this since its fresh and new.
      And ignores 98% of the post. LOL. That's Dunn for ya.

Comment

• If 150,000 is the final numbers, I guess it is somewhat of a let down. I thought it would do around 250,000-300,000.

But the problem for GGG is that he's not from America, so his name value is really nothing. Hes from a country that's not a boxing mecca and also there is not a lot of his countrymen here either. Other guys who have succeeded here that have not been from here have an advantage. Canelo is from mexico and America is home to millions and millions of Mexicans in America. Pacquiao who is from the Philiines(A country with a very good boxing history), has a huge Philpino population in America. So its much easier to succeed here for them.

Guys like Floyd, Oscar and SSL all grew up in the American spot light from their Olympic days so succeeding was built in as long as they kept winning.

For GGG, he is not from here, hes hasn't had the spot light on him all that much, and he from a country where there is not a huge population of his countrymen here like there is for a Mexican or a philipino. He didn't have exposure coming up while in the amateurs and his early pro career wasn't being followed, so his success on the PPV and American stage is going to take a lot of work. But this is just his first PPV, so the numbers should slowly start going up as long as he fights the fights people want to see.
        Last edited by boxinghead530; 10-21-2015, 09:56 AM.

Comment

350k is close to what ODH and Floyd did in their PPV debuts, so that's why I went there. HBO marketed this well and gave it all the support. To suggest that 300-350k is too high is ridiculous.

Chris Mannix wouldn't have put that out there if he didn't think it was accurate. Come on dude.

You seem heavily invested in GGG exceeding expectations. Sorry but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. Had he fought a better fighter (ward) then maybe he would've. The sport rewards those that step up and win tough fights. GGG hasn't earned that yet.

I just can't understand why this bothers you and other GGG fans so much that you have to accuse other posters of having an agenda, say fighthype is biased, or suddenly think the PPV model is dying.

Maybe the answer is GGG doesn't matter as much as his fans think.
          I think Floyd-Judah is probably a fairer comparison. Because with Gatti, many will argue that Floyd was the B-side. Even though history can make the argument that Floyd was never a true B-side, even against Oscar. Because Floyd is all of his opponents biggest number. Either way, Floyd's first PPV as the unquestioned A-side was Judah, which I believe did about 375K.

Either way, history shows that a guy needs to conquer the hardcore community before trying to crossover. GGG seems to have believed he could crossover without any substance to the hype. If hardcore fans question your legitimately, history shows that casual fans will totally ignore you. It's not over for GGG. But, he needs to step up and prove he's worthy of the hype. Hopefully, this is a wake up call.

Comment

• Originally posted by boxinghead530 View Post
            If 150,000 is the final numbers, I guess it is somewhat of a let down. I thought it would do around 250,000-300,000.

But the problem for GGG is that he's not from America, so his name value is really nothing. Hes from a country that's not a boxing mecca and also there is not a lot of his countrymen here either. Other guys who have succeeded here that have not been from here have an advantage. Canelo is from mexico, but America is home t millions and millions of American. Pacquiao who is from the Philiines(A country with a good boxing history), has a huge Philpino population in America. So its much easier to succeed here.

Guys like Floyd, Oscar and SSL all grew up in the American spot light from their Olympic days so succeeding was built in as long as they kept winning.

For GGG, he is not from here, hes hasn't had the spot light on him all that much, and he from a country where there is not a huge population of his countrymen here like there is for a Mexican or a philipino. He didn't have exposure coming up while in the amateurs and his early pro career wasn't being followed, so his success on the PPV and American stage is going to take a lot of work. But this is just his first PPV, so the numbers should slowly start going up as long as he fights the fights people want to see.
            Excuses.... Lil g flopped because he fought a bum. Same reason Floyd flopped with berto and same reason poochiao flopped with algieri/Rios.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
              You dont become a star until you start beating stars. It took Floyd to beat the popular Gatti then beat Oscar to become a mainstream star. It took for Pacquiao to beat 3 Mexican greats (Morales, Barrera, Marquez) along with beating ODH to become a mainstream star.

GGG is yet to cross that plateau. Like I stated in an earlier post. A win over Cotto or Canelo will change that for GGG. For the meantime selling out MSG is a good start.
              Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
              We already knew the fight was sold out 5 days before the fight. So this barrier was passed. The next barrie was the PPV sales, which he didn't appear to surpass.

No need to go back to something we already discussed. Lets stay on this since its fresh and new.
              Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
              And ignores 98% of the post. LOL. That's Dunn for ya.
              98%of the post was filler. You tried to deflect from the thread with " Selling out MSG is a good start."

Lets not focus on that but the PPV sales, which is what the thread is about.

Comment

• Originally posted by Box-Office View Post
                You think if Lemeiux-GGG was free tv it would've done 150K in viewers? Obviously when faced with a condition of paying, lesser people are gonna dish out $ to watch boxing than if it was free or at least on subscription channels ie HBO or Showtime. Apples and Oranges.
                You obviously didn't get my post.

Comment

• Originally posted by j0zef View Post
                  Sorry dude, comparing Floyd to GGG/Lemieux's PPV is silly. Floyd is an American fighting in the US, while the other two are foreigners unknown to the mainstream public.

Having a country behind you is a big deal when it comes to PPV buys.

And it's not a conspiracy to say that PPV is an outdated model. I'll go further than that - Cable TV is a quickly aging cash cow. The rise of streaming, Netflix, Hulu, etc is very quickly killing cable TV, and PPV with it.

The true big fights still sell well once a year, because that's what a household is willing to pay for a fight. The rest of the fights are gonna do poorly because a lot of them will either get streamed or people will watch the highlights on youtube 2 hours after the fight is over.
                  Had you said this before the fight-and argued the fight should be off PPV for these reasons-your post would have some validity to it.

That you waited means it comes off as sour grapes and excuse making.

Comment

98%of the post was filler. You tried to deflect from the thread with " Selling out MSG is a good start."

Lets not focus on that but the PPV sales, which is what the thread is about.
                    So you dont agree that it takes for a great fighter to beat a star/s in order to become a star himself? Especially a foreign one?

I never put much stock into this ppv doing well. You have a Kazakh fighting a Canadian in NYC. This fight should have been on regular HBO.

Comment

• Originally posted by boxinghead530 View Post
                      If 150,000 is the final numbers, I guess it is somewhat of a let down. I thought it would do around 250,000-300,000.

But the problem for GGG is that he's not from America, so his name value is really nothing. Hes from a country that's not a boxing mecca and also there is not a lot of his countrymen here either. Other guys who have succeeded here that have not been from here have an advantage. Canelo is from mexico and America is home to millions and millions of Mexicans in America. Pacquiao who is from the Philiines(A country with a very good boxing history), has a huge Philpino population in America. So its much easier to succeed here for them.

i agree with you, but try to explain that to delusional golovkids who were saying he is the next ppv king, already had him at a cotto canelo level of popularity... this is why this thread has so many pages...

Comment

Working...
                      X