Gennady Golovkin vs David Lemiuex Does Roughly 150,000 PPV Buys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
    you cant refute what doesnt exist yet.
    In the last several years, when a PPV is successful, the numbers or numbers in the general neighborhood come out rather quickly. And PPV flops tend to follow your argument's model.

Comment

• Might have done better If it took place in Canada.

Comment

man enough? lol, what are you, 15?

I didnt address it because its a pointless argument. Sure, you predicted 350k. A number 100k higher than any reasonable person could have expected. A number that would pretty much guarantee that it didnt meet your expectations, and would thus be worthy of criticism.

and yes, its 10am the next day. And other than fighthype, and mannix citing fighthype in a tweet, no other reputable source has confirmed those numbers.
        350k is close to what ODH and Floyd did in their PPV debuts, so that's why I went there. HBO marketed this well and gave it all the support. To suggest that 300-350k is too high is ridiculous.

Chris Mannix wouldn't have put that out there if he didn't think it was accurate. Come on dude.

You seem heavily invested in GGG exceeding expectations. Sorry but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. Had he fought a better fighter (ward) then maybe he would've. The sport rewards those that step up and win tough fights. GGG hasn't earned that yet.

I just can't understand why this bothers you and other GGG fans so much that you have to accuse other posters of having an agenda, say fighthype is biased, or suddenly think the PPV model is dying.

Maybe the answer is GGG doesn't matter as much as his fans think.
        Last edited by The Big Dunn; 10-21-2015, 09:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
          350k is close to what ODH and Floyd did in their PPV debuts, so that's why I went there. HBO marketed this well and gave it all the support. To suggest that 300-350k is too high is ridiculous.

Chris Mannix wouldn't have put that out there if he didn't think it was accurate. Come on dude.

You seem heavily invested in GGG exceeding expectations. Sorry but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. Had he fought a better fighter (ward) then maybe he would've. The sport rewards those that step up and win tough fights. GGG hasn't earned that yet.

I just can't understand why this bothers you and other GGG fans so much that you have to accuse other posters of having an agenda, say fighthype is biased, or suddenly think the PPV model is dying.

Maybe the answer is GGG doesn't matter as much as his fans think.

you cant compare him to Floyd or Oscar, who are American Olympians whose entire careers were on American television. Even YOU know better than that.

And no, Im not "heavily invested" in GGG meeting any expectations. I simply have an opinion, which I thought was the purpose of these forums. I would have though that someone with 28,000 posts would know that.

Comment

• You dont become a star until you start beating stars. It took Floyd to beat the popular Gatti then beat Oscar to become a mainstream star. It took for Pacquiao to beat 3 Mexican greats (Morales, Barrera, Marquez) along with beating ODH to become a mainstream star.

GGG is yet to cross that plateau. Like I stated in an earlier post. A win over Cotto or Canelo will change that for GGG. For the meantime selling out MSG is a good start.

Comment

you cant compare him to Floyd or Oscar, who are American Olympians whose entire careers were on American television. Even YOU know better than that.

And no, Im not "heavily invested" in GGG meeting any expectations. I simply have an opinion, which I thought was the purpose of these forums. I would have though that someone with 28,000 posts would know that.
              Yes you can, and when you do you realize that GGG isn't on their level yet and that maybe his fans should tone it down a bit.

I have no problem with your opinion. If you are not "heavily invested" then why else would you engage in excuse making and fake "concern" about the accuracy of the PPV sales number?

That sort of thing is pathetic.

Comment

• Seems reality has set in and GGG is not the star his fans made him out to be ..This is a good start to the new era don't support mismatches make fighters earn it demand that they step up !! A side my ass

Comment

• Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
                  And what's your point?
                  You think if Lemeiux-GGG was free tv it would've done 150K in viewers? Obviously when faced with a condition of paying, lesser people are gonna dish out $ to watch boxing than if it was free or at least on subscription channels ie HBO or Showtime. Apples and Oranges.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
                    You dont become a star until you start beating stars. It took Floyd to beat the popular Gatti then beat Oscar to become a mainstream star. It took for Pacquiao to beat 3 Mexican greats (Morales, Barrera, Marquez) along with beating ODH to become a mainstream star.

GGG is yet to cross that plateau. Like I stated in an earlier post. A win over Cotto or Canelo will change that for GGG. For the meantime selling out MSG is a good start.
                    We already knew the fight was sold out 5 days before the fight. So this barrier was passed. The next barrie was the PPV sales, which he didn't appear to surpass.

No need to go back to something we already discussed. Lets stay on this since its fresh and new.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                      Yes you can, and when you do you realize that GGG isn't on their level yet and that maybe his fans should tone it down a bit.

I have no problem with your opinion. If you are not "heavily invested" then why else would you engage in excuse making and fake "concern" about the accuracy of the PPV sales number?

That sort of thing is pathetic.
                      Sorry dude, comparing Floyd to GGG/Lemieux's PPV is silly. Floyd is an American fighting in the US, while the other two are foreigners unknown to the mainstream public.

Having a country behind you is a big deal when it comes to PPV buys.

And it's not a conspiracy to say that PPV is an outdated model. I'll go further than that - Cable TV is a quickly aging cash cow. The rise of streaming, Netflix, Hulu, etc is very quickly killing cable TV, and PPV with it.

The true big fights still sell well once a year, because that's what a household is willing to pay for a fight. The rest of the fights are gonna do poorly because a lot of them will either get streamed or people will watch the highlights on youtube 2 hours after the fight is over.

Comment

Working...
                      X