No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hopkins: Canelo, Ward Would Exploit GGG’s Weaknesses

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Main Source View Post
    30+ fights and Lemieux was his first real test. That speaks volumes alone.

And for those who say that Ward hasn't faced a puncher like Golovkin...well, he fought a much bigger puncher in Abraham and fought him toe to toe and came out of that fight without trouble. Remember that? Off course you don't.
    Lemieux is not better than Murray, Geale or Curtis. Stop it.. he just happened to hold a title.

Comment

sorry but i just cant take hopkins and oscar seriously when they talk about their own fighters.

Comment

Didn't B-Hop say Lemieux was going to do the same thing

ggg executed the Gameplan flawlessly. It was a masterclass on how to keep a dangerous fighter at bay.

GGG tucks his chin in real nicely, one of many ways he makes it hard to score KO's against him.

For one, Ward isn't knocking anyone decent out. He'll be sleeping by ten.

Canelo, he may not get to round 7.

It all depends on the strategy GGG uses.

Comment

Originally posted by SugarRaRobinson View Post
          While not a world class fighter , Smith did come into that fight at 190 , hoping to pull off a Salido . At that weight level , Ward was basically fighting a cruiser or heavyweight and still move his fat azz around that ring like he was a welterweight . My point being , Ward deserves more credit for that fight than most r willing to give

Ward likely came in at 185-190 himself. I see many people talk about how one fighter and uses his fight night weight, then compare it to Wards weigh in weight.

Not saying you did that.

Ward rehydrated to what most LHW do. Thus why he is moving up.

Comment

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
            Disagree with this analysis. Canelo's footwork is not great, but it's better than Lemieux's , and Canelo is also not smaller than GGG. Canelo has been known to usually rehydrate heavier than Golovkin.

The styles are different too, Canelo is much more accurate than lemieux and likes to counter punch. It's a different type of a fight.

Canelo couldn't get into range versus Mayweather which was mainly due to the foot speed differential and Mayweather's mastery of range control. Accuracy means nothing if you're not able to get into range to land. Canelo is 5'7 at best and GGG is 5'10...we're not talking weight, we're talking actual frame.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveM View Post
              Golovkin surprised me with his defensive skills - his footwork kept him away from Lemieux most of the night. That said, lemieux's footwork sucks.

Canelo's footwork is not great, as seen in the Mayweather fight and also the Lara fight. But it is a step up from that of Lemieux. But when GGG attacks, Canelo will be more at danger from Canelo's fast fists than he was against Lemieux. Canelo is a step up from Lemieux but I still see Golovkin winning.

Against the Ward from the Super Six I see Golovkin playing the role of Lemieux and Ward playing the role of GGG when it comes to boxing skills. Ward doesn't have the power GGG has though. That Ward would probably get a points win if he can avoid getting hit flush on the chin for 12 rounds - which in itself is a big ask.

The real question is are we going to get the 'super six' Ward or some diminished less mobile version? Ward would need all his boxing ability to get a points win off GGG - anything less than a 100% Ward would be in jeopardy.
              I felt david was being rushed when I first heard the fight had been signed but still felt he had a punchers chance. GGGs jab proved to be the deciding factor it kept david at bay and threw him off his game plan. But that should not have been an issues all seasoned great fighters know how to nullify jabs. That's something david should have known how to do. Ward is a different beast altogether and in all honesty I feel a diminished ward would still be too much for golovkin. Ward would take take all his weapons away from him, his jab and power with slick defensive moves and brake golovkin down over the distance. I don't think golovkins power would even be an issue as ward has faced much bigger punchers in miranda, abraham, froch and kessler.

Comment

Originally posted by intoccabile View Post
                Lemieux is not better than Murray, Geale or Curtis. Stop it.. he just happened to hold a title.
                this!! Murray >> Geale >> Lemieux >= Curtis

only reason Lemieux rates higher than Curtis is due to the common opponent Ndam.

Comment

Originally posted by Progrssive_Jedi View Post
                  Ward likely came in at 185-190 himself. I see many people talk about how one fighter and uses his fight night weight, then compare it to Wards weigh in weight.

Not saying you did that.

Ward rehydrated to what most LHW do. Thus why he is moving up.
                  No one knows what Wards fight night weight was but even Stevie Wonder could see that Smith's was CONSIDERABLY more than Wards .
                  Last edited by SugarRaRobinson; 10-19-2015, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SugarRaRobinson View Post
                    No one knows what Wards fight night weight was but even Stevie Wonder could see that it was CONSIDERABLY more than Wards .
                    Truth, Ward was waaaayyyy heavier than Ward but was always going to lose against Ward because Ward was simply far better than Ward...

Comment

• Indeed Bernard, just like Lemeiux did.

Comment

Working...
                      X