No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Golovkin Rejects Idea of Catch-Weight For Cotto, Canelo

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Barcham View Post
    It will not be a problem for GGG, it will be a problem for Cotto or Canelo. As it is a mandatory defense the champion cannot impose conditions on the fight. He can try to negotiate a catchweight but GGG is under no obligation to accept and will refuse. In that case, the champion either defends his title at the proper division weight limit or he vacates or is stripped.

Golovkin has nothing to lose at all.
    Why on earth would Golovkin do that Barcham ?

Cotto is the very best payday on earth for Golovkin, and team Golovkin have often stated that Gennady can make 154..... they said it again today.

So why on earth would Golovkin refuse to give Cotto a catchweight ?

Unless..... surely not ?

Comment

• Originally posted by kafkod View Post
      Yeah, that fool is saying that because Cotto weighed in at 153 for Geale, he can't be a MW.
      You are an extremely stupid individual.

Comment

• Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
        Nope, the Martinez fight was at 159 and the Geale fight was at 157.

Yesterday, you said that 153 was middleweight.

No, that is simply untrue.

When Cotto fought for the middleweight title weighing 153lbs, he fought as a JMW who was punching above his weight.

But you can call him whatever you like, it wont change his demands now.

Cotto may have listened to you way back before Pacquiao fcuked him over

I always told you guys that manny-weight was a nasty precedent.
        Seriously, learn the sport kafkod.

Boxing is not a video game, or a maths game.

Comment

Why on earth would Golovkin do that Barcham ?

Cotto is the very best payday on earth for Golovkin, and team Golovkin have often stated that Gennady can make 154..... they said it again today.

So why on earth would Golovkin refuse to give Cotto a catchweight ?

Unless..... surely not ?
          What are the chances of getting an honest answer to this question ?

Comment

Nope, the Martinez fight was at 159 and the Geale fight was at 157.

Yesterday, you said that 153 was middleweight.

No, that is simply untrue
            Catchweights in title fights are a private agreement between the 2 fighters and their teams. The official sanctioned weight for a title fight is always the standard weight limit for that division.

Cotto/Martinez and Cotto/Geale were MW title fights, so the officially sanctioned weight limit for both fights was 160lbs.

If you don't believe me, read the WBC's own explanation of catchweights in title fights then come back and tell me again that what I'm saying isn't true.

http://wbcboxing.com/wbceng/news/478...-weight-fights

"Catch weight – This term is used for specific agreements reached by the 2 fighters and is an exclusive commercial contract which has nothing to do with the regulations of boxing."

So to Cotto's weigh in weight of 153lbs for the Geale fight: If a boxer fights for or defends a MW title, then by definition, he is fighting as a MW. Whatever he weighs when he steps on the scales for the weigh in, as long as it isn't more than 160lbs, he is a MW.

So for that fight, Cotto's weight of 153lbs placed him in the MW division.

Comment

Catchweights in title fights are a private agreement between the 2 fighters and their teams. The official sanctioned weight for a title fight is always the standard weight limit for that division.

Cotto/Martinez and Cotto/Geale were MW title fights, so the officially sanctioned weight limit for both fights was 160lbs.

If you don't believe me, read the WBC's own explanation of catchweights in title fights then come back and tell me again that what I'm saying isn't true.

"Catch weight – This term is used for specific agreements reached by the 2 fighters and is an exclusive commercial contract which has nothing to do with the regulations of boxing."

So to Cotto's weigh in weight of 153lbs for the Geale fight: If a boxer fights for or defends a MW title, then by definition, he is fighting as a MW. Whatever he weighs when he steps on the scales for the weigh in, as long as it isn't more than 160lbs, he is a MW.

This is why Golovkin should be forced to give up all of his MW belts if he refuses to drop to 153 lbs. to fight Cotto or Canelo

Comment

You are an extremely stupid individual.

"Catch weight – This term is used for specific agreements reached by the 2 fighters and is an exclusive commercial contract which has nothing to do with the regulations of boxing"

WBC rules doe. So which one of us is stupid, fuckwit?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Beamish View Post
                  This is why Golovkin should be forced to give up all of his MW belts if he refuses to drop to 153 lbs. to fight Cotto or Canelo

Comment

Once again, that is simply not correct.

The official weight for EVERY fight "is always the standard weight limit for that division"..... title or not.

That will change if a catchweight is agreed upon by both parties.

There have been title fights at catchweight, unfortunately.

The mandate is why a catchweight is not permitted by the WBC in this case.

But, I just checked on two things.....

1) Cotto doesn't give a fcuk about any of that
                    2) Cotto still weighs 153

Originally posted by kafkod View Post

Again, that is simply incorrect.

The sanctioned weight for the Martinez fight was 159lbs, and the sanctioned weight for Geale was 157lbs.

Neither fighter could weigh more than 159 in the Martinez fight, and neither fighter could weigh more than 157 in the Geale fight..... OFFICIALLY.

Catchweights suck, been saying it for years.

Originally posted by kafkod View Post

Nah thats rubbish..... if Cotto is fighting a middleweight and he only weighs 153, then he is a JMW who is punching above his weight..... just like Mayweather did at 154, he was a welter who was punching above his weight.

I told ya, this aint a maths game, or a numbers game.

Tell me something..... Cotto is the very best payday on earth for Golovkin, and team Golovkin have often stated that Gennady can make 154..... they said it again just this morning.....

So, why on earth would Golovkin refuse to give Cotto a catchweight ?

Unless..... surely not ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Beamish View Post

Comment

Working...
                      X