No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Golovkin Rejects Idea of Catch-Weight For Cotto, Canelo

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Steve plunger View Post
    Oi dumb and dumber can you show me in written evidence where I said 153 is not jnr middleweight ? Show us facts son
    Cotto weighed 155 when he won the WBC MW title from Martinez, 153 when he defended it against Geale.

For both those fights, the official weight limit, as recognised by the WBC, was 160lbs.

The weight LIMIT is what defines the weight division, not the weigh in weights of either fighter.

If you fight for a MW title at 153, you are fighting as a MW. If you hold MW titles, you are a MW, unless you weigh in over 160 for a defence.

If you fight for a MW title you are fighting as a MW, even if you weigh in below 154.

So Cotto was fighting as a MW when he defended his WBC and lineal MW titles against Geale, even though he weighed in at 153 for that fight.

Comment

• If GGG doesn't wanna do a catchweight, the Cotto-Canelo winner will walk. Then GGG can have that precious belt his fanboys covet so much.

Personally, me thinx the check from a showdown with the Cotto-Canelo winner is a lot more important to him than a belt. And the whole belt thing is just a smokescreen and load of bull**** he's fed his fans to justify not wanting to get his ass kicked by Ward. We shall see.

Comment

• Cotto will vacate and fight at 154 if he wins which Golovkin would not want. He will then be forced to fight a new mandatory and that person will not be a good fighter. For GGG's sake, he better hope Canelo wins because Canelo is the only person that probably would fight him at 160. After this weekend, Canelo may even change his mind. Golovkin's best bet is to keep fighting the paper champions until he moves up to 168.

Comment

• I agree, middleweight is anything above 154, but the opponent can weight from 155-160 as well. Cotto wants to force the other fighter to weigh at 155. That's the problem that GGG is going to have for a MW championship fight.

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
          Cotto weighed 155 when he won the WBC MW title from Martinez, 153 when he defended it against Geale.

For both those fights, the official weight limit, as recognised by the WBC, was 160lbs.

The weight LIMIT is what defines the weight division, not the weigh in weights of either fighter.

If you fight for a MW title at 153, you are fighting as a MW. If you hold MW titles, you are a MW, unless you weigh in over 160 for a defence.

If you fight for a MW title you are fighting as a MW, even if you weigh in below 154.

So Cotto was fighting as a MW when he defended his WBC and lineal MW titles against Geale, even though he weighed in at 153 for that fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by truefan View Post
            I agree, middleweight is anything above 154, but the opponent can weight from 155-160 as well. Cotto wants to force the other fighter to weigh at 155. That's the problem that GGG is going to have for a MW championship fight.
            It will not be a problem for GGG, it will be a problem for Cotto or Canelo. As it is a mandatory defense the champion cannot impose conditions on the fight. He can try to negotiate a catchweight but GGG is under no obligation to accept and will refuse. In that case, the champion either defends his title at the proper division weight limit or he vacates or is stripped.

Golovkin has nothing to lose at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Barcham View Post
              It will not be a problem for GGG, it will be a problem for Cotto or Canelo. As it is a mandatory defense the champion cannot impose conditions on the fight. He can try to negotiate a catchweight but GGG is under no obligation to accept and will refuse. In that case, the champion either defends his title at the proper division weight limit or he vacates or is stripped.

Golovkin has nothing to lose at all.
              He has nothing to loose but a big payday but that doesn't matter because all he is after is the belt anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by hitking View Post
                Yet you had no issues with him fighting Lemieux, who's last fight was on FOX. Or Monroe, who's previous fight was on ESPN. STFU!!!!!!
                Fox and ESPN are legit boxing networks...

Having to pay to get on BET because you're scared to commit to a Kovalev fight is different..

Comment

• Originally posted by kafkod View Post

Kafcod my post was not written to you ...it was to dumb and dumber aboutfcntime my post was aimed at...I know the rules of boxing and weights and he doesn't unfortunately.....so as soon as you go beyond 154 then your in the middleweight division..once you go beyond 160 then it's supermiddlweight...but if say Ray leonard had boxed marvin hagler and leonard weighed in at 152 and hagler was 158 and leonard won then he would win the middleweight title and be classed as the champion ...it's don't matter if he is lighter has than the middleweight division....as long as he defends it against boxers who are mandatory in that division then he is doing his duty as a middleweight champion....that's why cotto or canelo have no grounds to make a catchweight in a division where 160 applies....I think we both know how it works......dumb and dumber stated that I said 153 somewhere and I didn't

Comment

• Originally posted by hitking View Post
                    If GGG doesn't wanna do a catchweight, the Cotto-Canelo winner will walk. Then GGG can have that precious belt his fanboys covet so much.

Personally, me thinx the check from a showdown with the Cotto-Canelo winner is a lot more important to him than a belt. And the whole belt thing is just a smokescreen and load of bull**** he's fed his fans to justify not wanting to get his ass kicked by Ward. We shall see.
                    It's not about fanboys bongo...it's about what's right and what's wrong....any boxer whether he is an amatuer or professional go into the sport to win titles and belts and become the champion and if you don't understand that then your more ******ed than I thought.....you have two boxers who are not true middleweights trying to stay at the top of the middleweight division and not act as a middleweight champion......let's be fair....you don't like golovkin and no matter how he plays it all you will say is ward this or catchweight that.....if canelo and cotto can't act as middleweight champions then the best thing they can do is lose that 1lb make 154 and f@ck off back to the jnr middleweights and stop pretending to be middleweights .

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve plunger View Post
                      Kafcod my post was not written to you ...it was to dumb and dumber aboutfcntime my post was aimed at...I know the rules of boxing and weights and he doesn't unfortunately.....so as soon as you go beyond 154 then your in the middleweight division..once you go beyond 160 then it's supermiddlweight...but if say Ray leonard had boxed marvin hagler and leonard weighed in at 152 and hagler was 158 and leonard won then he would win the middleweight title and be classed as the champion ...it's don't matter if he is lighter has than the middleweight division....as long as he defends it against boxers who are mandatory in that division then he is doing his duty as a middleweight champion....that's why cotto or canelo have no grounds to make a catchweight in a division where 160 applies....I think we both know how it works......dumb and dumber stated that I said 153 somewhere and I didn't
                      Yeah, that fool is saying that because Cotto weighed in at 153 for Geale, he can't be a MW.

So Cotto is the lineal and WBC MW champion, but at SWW, not MW.

To some people, that makes perfect sense.

Comment

Working...
                      X