WBC President: "Miguel Cotto Told Me That He Is Facing Golovkin"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
    quote me being biased. I'll wait.....
    When's the last time you put a non PR boxer on your AV/Sig?

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
      golovkin just weighed 159 for lemieux and is pretty insistent that he could reach 154 for mayweather. be honest, wouldn't you rather see golovkin-cotto at 157 than golovkin versus johnson, heiland or someone like that at 160? it would also hugely benefit his profile in the mainstream
      I certainly would.

Comment

excuses either you support catchweights or you don't.

Picking & choosing what catchweights to defend is stuff of fanboys.
        He's trying to unify middleweight. How is it difficult to understand? I seriously doubt he would even take a Chavez or Froch fight now, being that he finally has a unification and mandatory to the WBC right after.

That's what people forget, yourself included - Golovkin was only looking at Chavez and Froch because he couldn't get the fights he wanted at 160. Now he's actually getting these fights he wants (unification fights) so there is no need to leave the division yet. He wouldn't have even been in that position in the first place if the top guys in his own division would actually fight him, like Cotto fighting Geale for example, or Sergio fighting Cotto and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Fantastic View Post
          When's the last time you put a non PR boxer on your AV/Sig?
          just a lil over a week ago I had john thompson... I also have mike tyson too!

add to that deontay wilder, chicago bears, bruce lee
          Last edited by bigjavi973; 10-17-2015, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
            He's trying to unify middleweight. How is it difficult to understand? I seriously doubt he would even take a Chavez or Froch fight now, being that he finally has a unification and mandatory to the WBC right after.

That's what people forget, yourself included - Golovkin was only looking at Chavez and Froch because he couldn't get the fights he wanted at 160. Now he's actually getting these fights he wants (unification fights) so there is no need to leave the division yet. He wouldn't have even been in that position in the first place if the top guys in his own division would actually fight him, like Cotto fighting Geale for example, or Sergio fighting Cotto and so on.
            I am not arguing any of that.

My plain & simple argument is Froch & chavez JR at 168 but for ward, whos the lineal champ at 168, 164 lbs.

Comment

I am not arguing any of that.

My plain & simple argument is Froch & chavez JR at 168 but for ward, whos the lineal champ at 168, 164 lbs.
              ask Cotto why 159 for Martinez but no 159 for Geale, Canelo, or GGG?

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
                It shouldn't even be a conversation point since the rules prohibit the CW. Secondly, GGG's team said they just want all the belts and could care less if they have to fight Cotto or not. They sound like they would be just as happy to have Cotto vacate as they would be facing him.
                Show me the rule that prohibits the catch weight.

155-160 is the weight range for middleweight. They can come In anywhere in that range and be a middleweight. 160 is only the upper limit. There is nothing magical about that number. It's just a arbitrary limit set for the purpose of making fights fair and safe for fighters.

Catch weights were invented so that fighters who are clearly in different classes, Cotto and ggg, can fight each other when demanded and be safe for both fighters. Going down to 154 may be dangerous for ggg and going all the way up to 160 May be dangerous for Cotto. The fans want the fight. Meeting in the middle at 157 seems fair for both fighters. The benefit to us fans is that we get a great fight with two superior fighters in the same ring fighting at a weight that's fair to both. Fans win. The fighters win. Let the best man that night win. It will be one to remember.

So wtf is the deal with all the hate with the catch weight. It's been Halle I got for decade and without them is fans would have been without many great fights.

Comment

Originally posted by jorgepichardojr View Post
                  Show me the rule that prohibits the catch weight.

155-160 is the weight range for middleweight. They can come In anywhere in that range and be a middleweight. 160 is only the upper limit. There is nothing magical about that number. It's just a arbitrary limit set for the purpose of making fights fair and safe for fighters.

Catch weights were invented so that fighters who are clearly in different classes, Cotto and ggg
                  , can fight each other when demanded and be safe for both fighters. Going down to 154 may be dangerous for ggg and going all the way up to 160 May be dangerous for Cotto. The fans want the fight. Meeting in the middle at 157 seems fair for both fighters. The benefit to us fans is that we get a great fight with two superior fighters in the same ring fighting at a weight that's fair to both. Fans win. The fighters win. Let the best man that night win. It will be one to remember.

So wtf is the deal with all the hate with the catch weight. It's been Halle I got for decade and without them is fans would have been without many great fights.

only problem with your theory is that Cotto and GGG are in the SAME weight class, middleweight.......

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
                    ask Cotto why 159 for Martinez but no 159 for Geale, Canelo, or GGG?
                    I don't know him personally, do I?

I have stated plenty of times my opinions about those fights.

Comment

that would be good fight

Comment

Working...
                      X