No announcement yet.

WBC President: "Miguel Cotto Told Me That He Is Facing Golovkin"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
    golovkin just weighed 159 for lemieux and is pretty insistent that he could reach 154 for mayweather. be honest, wouldn't you rather see golovkin-cotto at 157 than golovkin versus johnson, heiland or someone like that at 160? it would also hugely benefit his profile in the mainstream
    First of all, Golovkin is the INTERIM title holder. That means that if Cotto vacates, he automatically is promoted to super champion. He does not have to fight anyone for the title. Second, I care if GGG fights Cotto. It would be a public execution and all the usual suspects around here would give GGG no credit at all for beating up a smaller fighter like Cotto and that will be their excuse for years to come. I would actually rather see Cotto vacate it and run away. That would be even worse than taking a knee or quitting on his stool.

I think that if GGG gives in and fights for a MIDDLEWEIGHT title at a catchweight, it would be a total disgrace for the sport and that title becomes worthless. I do not even consider Cotto to be WBC or Lineal champion at this time because he has never defended his title at the middleweight limit. And he will not be defending it against Canelo at the limit either.

A catchweight fight to unify at least THREE titles would be a total farce and I cannot see Golovkin accepting to be a part of it. He has too much respect for the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
      It shouldn't even be a conversation point since the rules prohibit the CW. Secondly, GGG's team said they just want all the belts and could care less if they have to fight Cotto or not. They sound like they would be just as happy to have Cotto vacate as they would be facing him.
      there is no rule that prohibits the CW if they make a deal. Sure, if it went to purse bid there could be no CW, but this fight is never going to purse bid. They either make a deal, or Cotto vacates, but there will never be a purse bid......

Edit: But for the record. there SHOULD be a rule that there can be no catchweights in ANY title fight. You want to do a catchweight? Fine, but not for the title......
      Last edited by OnePunch; 10-17-2015, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Barcham View Post
        First of all, Golovkin is the INTERIM title holder. That means that if Cotto vacates, he automatically is promoted to super champion. He does not have to fight anyone for the title.
        i know that, but he still needs to fight someone. he wants to fight three or four times in 2016. one of them will hopefully be andy lee, but what about the others? it'd be much better for his career and for us fans if one of them was cotto, even at a catchweight

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
          It shouldn't even be a conversation point since the rules prohibit the CW. Secondly, GGG's team said they just want all the belts and could care less if they have to fight Cotto or not. They sound like they would be just as happy to have Cotto vacate as they would be facing him.
          The rules dont probibit the catchweight you idiot. The sides get a chance to negotiate before they even consider a purse bid. So even if golovkin is mandatory it doenst mean the only weight is 160.

Comment

No, Miguel, if you beat Canelo, let Floyd fight GGG. You showed Floyd how to wiin a version of a middleweight title by beating Sergio. Let Floyd show us how good he is. Floyds best win in his whole career is against a one armed smaller fighter coming off of a ko.
            Give Floyd the opportunity to improve his legacy. Because once you beat Canelo you will be even greater than Floyd than you already are. You beat prime SSM.

Comment

Good. A true world class veteran like Cotto will expose Lil G.

Comment

in reality he's going to rematch margarito

you can see this **** from 100 miles away

Comment

Originally posted by Bipolar Hero View Post
                  Good. A true world class veteran like Cotto will expose Lil G.
                  haha thats funny........

Comment

Both Canelo and Cotto will demand a catch weight. Bet!

Comment

So Sulaiman made it a point to visit Cotto and said, "Miguel told me personally that he will fight Golovkin."

I been told ya he will fight him. GGG is the next big money fight for Cotto after the Canelo fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X