Collapse
No announcement yet.

WBC President: "Miguel Cotto Told Me That He Is Facing Golovkin"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cotto got $7m to face martinez. ggg's a bigger star than sergio ever was, so i imagine cotto could breach $10m with that fight. and i doubt that someone who has had as good a career as cotto has would be seriously afraid of any man. he is going to want to stack the deck in his favour though. unless martinez was even more shot than i think, i make cotto the favourite over canelo and can see him troubling golovkin more than any other middleweight could

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleStandar View Post
      I think 157 is reasonable. GGG will have to compromise if he wants the pay day.
      Cotto can not insist on a catchweight in a MANDATORY DEFENSE. He either defends at 160 or vacates the title. Cotto does not have a choice.

Why is it that so many fans, who think they know the sport, are so ignorant of this FACT?

Golovkin wants the title, once he unifies, big paydays will be everywhere. If Cotto vacates like a scared schoolgirl, his big paydays are over. Who wants to watch a coward fight?

Comment

Originally posted by Barcham View Post
        Cotto can not insist on a catchweight in a MANDATORY DEFENSE. He either defends at 160 or vacates the title. Cotto does not have a choice.

Why is it that so many fans, who think they know the sport, are so ignorant of this FACT?

Golovkin wants the title, once he unifies, big paydays will be everywhere. If Cotto vacates like a scared schoolgirl, his big paydays are over. Who wants to watch a coward fight?
        golovkin just weighed 159 for lemieux and is pretty insistent that he could reach 154 for mayweather. be honest, wouldn't you rather see golovkin-cotto at 157 than golovkin versus johnson, heiland or someone like that at 160? it would also hugely benefit his profile in the mainstream

Comment

Although this is true, Cotto does have the leverage of the fact that GGG would likely make north of $5 million if they fought, and he could use that motivation to entice GGG into accepting the catchweight.

The decision GGG and his team would have to make would be to decide if the 3lb sacrifice was worth making, in order to get the payday as well as the lineal title, neither of which they will get if Cotto vacated......
          Last edited by OnePunch; 10-17-2015, 11:29 AM.

Comment

You don't think GGG would be willing to give in for that massive payday? We all know the rules, especially with you repeating it like a broken record, but if GGG wants that fight and the massive payday that comes with it, he might be willing to give in to a CW demand from Cotto.

If Cotto vacates the title, GGG misses out on a showdown with one of the sport's biggest stars that would no doubt catapult GGG's stardom as well.

Comment

Cotto is overlooking Cinnabun and he will pay a dear price for it in the ring. The uppercut will bust him up and, ironically, the left to the body will put him down.

Comment

Cotto's paydays won't be over.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                  Cotto will beat Canelo but I doubt he faces GGG without some crazy catchweight.
                  Pretty much on that last statement. He's said it already. If Cotto wins, he's gonna bend Golovkin over at the negotiating table. If Golovkin doesn't accept, Cotto moves on. If he does, man, I don't think making 154 will be very easy for GGG.

Comment

Originally posted by Slyboots View Post
                    You don't think GGG would be willing to give in for that massive payday? We all know the rules, especially with you repeating it like a broken record, but if GGG wants that fight and the massive payday that comes with it, he might be willing to give in to a CW demand from Cotto.

If Cotto vacates the title, GGG misses out on a showdown with one of the sport's biggest stars that would no doubt catapult GGG's stardom as well.
                    It shouldn't even be a conversation point since the rules prohibit the CW. Secondly, GGG's team said they just want all the belts and could care less if they have to fight Cotto or not. They sound like they would be just as happy to have Cotto vacate as they would be facing him.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
                      It shouldn't even be a conversation point since the rules prohibit the CW. Secondly, GGG's team said they just want all the belts and could care less if they have to fight Cotto or not. They sound like they would be just as happy to have Cotto vacate as they would be facing him.
                      You're truly naive if you believe that. A fight with Cotto would be huge for GGG's career.

And when do rules matter for the WBC? If GGG wants the fight and Cotto wants a catch-weight, I can definitely see it happening.

Comment

Working...
                      X