No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Roc Nation: GGG's Team Turned Down Ward in 36 Minutes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
    When was this? He's already turned down Stevenson, and now been agonizing for weeks over an HBO offer leading to a Kov fight .

GGG was avoided no doubt, but now that he's HBO ppv, he's not gonna be avoided as much cause he's the best money above 155, and he's mando to those guys with 3 belts + lineal on the line.
    I know, right? Ward wont even fight Yuneski friggin Gonzalez.......

Comment

• They may tango later. I can wait.

Comment

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
        When was this? He's already turned down Stevenson, and now been agonizing for weeks over an HBO offer leading to a Kov fight .

GGG was avoided no doubt, but now that he's HBO ppv, he's not gonna be avoided as much cause he's the best money above 155, and he's mando to those guys with 3 belts + lineal on the line. Zs
        He turned down stevenson? Because his company doesn't do business with Haymon? His fault? No. And at least Ward and HBO and Duva are negotiating. If it gets done, u will shut up. If it doesn't and Ward is at fault I'd be the first to call him out on it. I have called him out numerous times in the past. So rrally what's your point? Golovkin hasn't fought one prime grade A fighter. He had a chance and whiffed on it. Ward has done that. I really don't get u guys. That's one of the best fights that can be made in boxing and suddenly all we hear are excuses as to why it shouldn't happen. Pathetic.

Comment

• Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
          so Wards offer was "forget about the potential millions of dollars against the Cotto-Canelo winner and fight me instead on a 50-50 split?

My only question is why did it take 36 minutes to turn that down? 36 seconds was plenty of time......
          The Cotto-Canelo fight (both guys openly talking up how comfortable they are fighting at 154) was nowhere near as likely as you're insinuating it was; also ignoring the fact that, were the fight to ever actually come about, for whatever reason, Golovkin would likely be looking at a 15/85 (or worse) split on the money.

The Ward offer, as told by Roc Nation, was pretty straightforward; Golovkin takes a fight, Ward takes a fight, and then Ward-Golovkin gets built to for early 2016 (details about the terms for the fight to be negotiated between the two parties).

Not knowing that even the Lemieux fight was being worked on, RocNation offered Team Golovkin an actual opportunity to put millions of dollars into Golovkin's pocket, while also the chance of launching him into finally becoming a PPV star (were he able to beat Ward, which was unlikely). RocNation put money on the table, only for K2 to refuse, continuing to pine for a showdown that's deeply unlikely anytime soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kagami Taiga View Post
            He turned down stevenson? Because his company doesn't do business with Haymon? His fault? No. And at least Ward and HBO and Duva are negotiating. If it gets done, u will shut up. If it doesn't and Ward is at fault I'd be the first to call him out on it. I have called him out numerous times in the past. So rrally what's your point? Golovkin hasn't fought one prime grade A fighter. He had a chance and whiffed on it. Ward has done that. I really don't get u guys. That's one of the best fights that can be made in boxing and suddenly all we hear are excuses as to why it shouldn't happen. Pathetic.
            No, Stevenson wasn't with Haymon then. Hed just knocked out Dawson, Ward said h was unproven or something. Ward and Duva talking, but nothing will happen for at least a year, at best.

Which prime grade A fighter has Ward faced? Froch? That's kind of a stretch. GGG tried to fight him when he was better regarded, making concessions Ward would never make, but too dangerous for the Cobra. GGG vs Canelo is also one of the best fights in boxing, also for 3 belts + lineal, and much much bigger money and exposure

Comment

• Sounded like it's a last-minute attempt for damage control. And why would GG team even entertain the offer when they're already deep into promoting the Lemieux fight? What's the point? What if he loses?

Have you seen a fight being negotiated where the fighter they're negotiating with is already preparing for training and promotion? Tell me one case. Isn't it typical to see them focus on the fight they're currently in?

But I understand they're still new in this business.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve plunger View Post
                Jesus are wards fans ******ed....obviously they have never boxed........172 against a 158 fighter is a huge gap in pro boxing......it's 2 weight classes .......u can't bulk up that much over night.....yes he said 168 for froch and chavez because they are lesser skilled boxers that's a fact....it's like facing Mike Tyson or Tyson fury.....you would want more money for fighting iron Mike than fury wouldn't you......common sense....jeez......now a word of advice to ward your a light heavyweight with top fighters waiting to face you.......kovalev...beterbiev......stevenson...... stop picking on naturally smaller fighters and fight someone your size......there's more than enough to test you
                Ward was 173 nearly three weeks before weighing in at 171.5 for his 172lb fight; there's no need to lie, especially when the information is already public.

Three weeks before "weighing 158" (according to BoxRec, he weighed 158.5 for his fight against Lajuan Simon, December 2011;Golovkin doesn't have a single other weigh-in where he was below 159), I'd be willing to wager that Golovkin was 5-10lbs over "158". gtfoh.

[Note: three weeks prior to their fights, I'd be willing to bet that Kovalev/Beterbiev/Stevenson are all 10lbs over the 175 limit as well]

Golovkin has been exposed as a punk; the sooner folks admit to that, the sooner everyone moves on.

Comment

• Funny part was they had all the time in the world to negotiate with GG's team before the Lemieux fight came into fruition, but they did nothing.

Who would have thought the Lemieux fight would become available this early? All I know was that Golden Boy was talking about marinating the fight first, but the owners are boxers. They can't wait to see it.

Were they (Roc people) expecting GG to bend on his knees and beg for the Ward fight?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                    The Cotto-Canelo fight (both guys openly talking up how comfortable they are fighting at 154) was nowhere near as likely as you're insinuating it was; also ignoring the fact that, were the fight to ever actually come about, for whatever reason, Golovkin would likely be looking at a 15/85 (or worse) split on the money.

The Ward offer, as told by Roc Nation, was pretty straightforward; Golovkin takes a fight, Ward takes a fight, and then Ward-Golovkin gets built to for early 2016 (details about the terms for the fight to be negotiated between the two parties).

Not knowing that even the Lemieux fight was being worked on, RocNation offered Team Golovkin an actual opportunity to put millions of dollars into Golovkin's pocket, while also the chance of launching him into finally becoming a PPV star (were he able to beat Ward, which was unlikely). RocNation put money on the table, only for K2 to refuse, continuing to pine for a showdown that's deeply unlikely anytime soon.

they did no such thing. The offered a 50-50 split to a more popular fighter who will bring in the lions share of the revenue. They didnt put money ON the table, they are trying to take money OFF k2's table. GGG's recent fights pretty much sold out the Garden and Stub Hub, and the Lemieux fight will sell out the Garden also. Wards last fight they were giving away tickets by the stacks just so not to be embarrassed by having a half empty arena on tv. Tv they had to buy the airtime from by the way.

But putting all that aside, K2 would have to be complete morons to cast aside the possibility of facing the Cotto-Canelo winner, in order to move up 8 pounds and do a 50-50 split with a guy who cant draw ants to a picnic, and whose fighting style is about as exciting as a 2nd coat of paint. It would have been a moronic proposal to accept. Even though I think it is unlikely that should Cotto prevail that he will agree to fight GGG, you still have to let it play out and see what happens. Worse case scenario GGG gets the WBC belt and then unifies with Lee, and THEN moves up. 50-50 with Ward is nowhere near an enticing enough offer to abandon the current 160 unification track.......
                    Last edited by OnePunch; 10-10-2015, 12:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                      Ward was 173 nearly three weeks before weighing in at 171.5 for his 172lb fight; there's no need to lie, especially when the information is already public.

Three weeks before "weighing 158" (according to BoxRec, he weighed 158.5 for his fight against Lajuan Simon, December 2011;Golovkin doesn't have a single other weigh-in where he was below 159), I'd be willing to wager that Golovkin was 5-10lbs over "158". gtfoh.

[Note: three weeks prior to their fights, I'd be willing to bet that Kovalev/Beterbiev/Stevenson are all 10lbs over the 175 limit as well]

Golovkin has been exposed as a punk; the sooner folks admit to that, the sooner everyone moves on.
                      Let's see, one guy is unifying on Hbo, selling out MSG, mando to Cotto/Canelo for 3belts and lineal

Another guy is doing 3ook on BET, making joke offers to a division+ smaller guy with a weak resume, wanting Ppv upside for an undercard, asking for 2m for Paul Smith, Zac Dunn, Periban etc, turning down Yunieski etc

Can you spot a punk in this lineup?

Comment

Working...
                      X