Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gennady Golovkin vs. David Lemieux

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• and yes, flowmoes, hating a fighter on bscene generates buzz, so you're all buzzing about gennady golovkin.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
      since when is discussion [buzz]on a boxingsite not a metric for buzz about a boxing match? ?

boxing is not a mainstream sport. you can count your mainstream / crossover stars in american boxing with 3-4 fingers. now that mayweather has retired, it is pacquiao, cotto, and alvarez. if you're holding him to the standard of miguel cotto, manny pacquiao, floyd mayweather, canelo alvarez, he is not generating that kind of buzz. that's not a standard for whether or not he's generating any buzz at all, but a standard by which he's compared to genuine crossover stars with ethnic / racial backings.

golovkin is regularly on ESPN, the biggest sporting network in the country. max kellerman is a host for one of their shows, and he and golovkin have a relationship through HBO. HBO doesn't own ESPN, however. ESPN is actually owned by disney. ESPN talking heads know who golokin is. they don't pronouce his name correctly, they call him "triple G," but they mention him when he's coming up on a fight on HBO.

he's recently been featured in a watch commercial on national television. i can't remember seeing cotto on any national TV commercials. i'm not saying he wasn't on one, i just don't remember it. i've seen alvarez a few times on underarmor commercials. pacquiao had a pistachio endorsement, and nike. floyd mayweather had a TV cable provider, but he eventually got himself into too much trouble to be a spokesperson for most major corporations. same happened with tyson, who used to plug pepsi and nintendo.

in short, there's a point in american boxing where guys start to cross over into the mainstream, which is a population that doesn't seek out boxing, but consumes boxing when it is brought to them. these are called casual fans. golovkin is absolutely being pushed and affecting these casual markets.

he's not floyd mayweather, or manny pacuqiao, but there's certainl buzz. and yes, we can look at the fighter who arguably generates the most discussion on a boxing site and say that he's generating buzz.

just face it, dan, you've got some kind of agenda that causes you to diminish what golovkin is doing and the noise [buzz] he is making in boxing. there's no other way you can claim to be coming to this site every day, looking where you should to keep up with things, and not seeing that golovkin and lemieux are scheduled to fight this weekend.

name me ten fighters who generate more buzz in boxing than gennady golovkin.
      Agenda Why does there always have to be an agenda here?

I have no "agenda" I want Golovkin to win and do good numbers because it's good for boxing. I've already stated previously that I think Golovkin has the potential to be the #1 star in Boxing.

I'm simply saying that I didn't even know that the fight was this weekend and that there's little buzz for it.

You're asking me to name 10 fighters who "generate more buzz" like that somehow means that this fight this weekend has a big buzz about it.

I can't name 10 fighters because there isn't 10 fighters. I can't name 2 fighters who generate more buzz than Manny Pacquaio that doesn't change the fight some of his recent fights have had little buzz about them.

There's more talk about Amir Khan this week than there is Golovkin-Lemiuex.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hougigo View Post
        What about Alcine immediately after?
        Every fighter has their bane (well, except Floyd). I mean:
        - Pacquiao/Bradley 1
        - Alexander/Martinez
        - Broner/Porter
        - Judah/Malignaggi

Happens from time to time (except to Floyd). The Rubio defeat was more concerning. It was Hamed/Barrera all over again, but with a KO. Wrong timing for him to take that fight, Rubio was a machine around that time.

GGG's domination of Rubio was tainted by the weight issue, IMO. Same with Floyd/Marquez.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by krazyn8tive View Post
              I think this fight will be better than most people here think. Lemieux is a good fighter.
              Agreed. Lemieux is definitely no slouch. I think he comes out hard, fast, and explosive and we'll see how Golovkin reacts. I really can't imagine any other fighter catching criticism for facing David Lemiuex...can you image such a thing for Quillin? or Jacobs, or Cotto? this kind of inconsistency is what's most annoying about Golovkin naysayers; they call him a hypejob and then turn around and pick him as a heavy favorite against everyone at middleweight - how can you call someone massively overrated and yet pick every fight a mismatch in his favor?

and for whatever reason it seems to be mostly from fl0mos...your boy Floyd 'the all time victim' didn't even get this kind of treatment. There was always somebody in his weight class we wanted to see him fight - he was the favorite to win but we still wanted and supported Margarito, p williams, mosley, cotto, pac, and even back when we all knew he could beat guys like stevie johnson we still wanted to see it. With Golovkin it's like "he hasn't faced anybody...oh he's trying? what's your point!?! oh Lemieux? ahh...he should just move up....****ing overhyped ****."

Comment

• Originally posted by revelated View Post
                Every fighter has their bane (well, except Floyd). I mean:
                - Pacquiao/Bradley 1
                - Alexander/Martinez
                - Broner/Porter
                - Judah/Malignaggi

Happens from time to time (except to Floyd). The Rubio defeat was more concerning. It was Hamed/Barrera all over again, but with a KO. Wrong timing for him to take that fight, Rubio was a machine around that time.

GGG's domination of Rubio was tainted by the weight issue, IMO. Same with Floyd/Marquez.
                I really think Floyd effectively avoided his "bane" -- the long rangy fighter who stays busy. Margarito, Williams. Not sure these were "ducks", but Floyd did conveniently avoid this type of fighter on some level. The fewer fights you have, the fewer chances you have to meet your "bane."

Lemieux looks sloppy as hell to me. I don't see him as a great fighter with an achilles heel. He's a dangerous fighter with serious deficits in boxing skills. He's wide open as a barn door when he throws punches.

GGG is vulnerable if he decides to exchange in a street fight with Lemieux. But he's too smart. I think he would be vulnerable to another boxer/puncher with speed (that is, with both speed and power to go with boxing skills.)

But no such animal exists at MW today.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCEN3RY View Post
                  Agreed. Lemieux is definitely no slouch. I think he comes out hard, fast, and explosive and we'll see how Golovkin reacts. I really can't imagine any other fighter catching criticism for facing David Lemiuex...can you image such a thing for Quillin? or Jacobs, or Cotto? this kind of inconsistency is what's most annoying about Golovkin naysayers; they call him a hypejob and then turn around and pick him as a heavy favorite against everyone at middleweight - how can you call someone massively overrated and yet pick every fight a mismatch in his favor?

and for whatever reason it seems to be mostly from fl0mos...your boy Floyd 'the all time victim' didn't even get this kind of treatment. There was always somebody in his weight class we wanted to see him fight - he was the favorite to win but we still wanted and supported Margarito, p williams, mosley, cotto, pac, and even back when we all knew he could beat guys like stevie johnson we still wanted to see it. With Golovkin it's like "he hasn't faced anybody...oh he's trying? what's your point!?! oh Lemieux? ahh...he should just move up....****ing overhyped ****."
                  It's the posters on this site dude. They are bad. Lemieux is a good fighter. Golovkin is a good fighter. I'm happy they're fighting and I cannot wait to watch.

Comment

• Weigh In Stream:

Fk no joke, I am feeling butterflies but all over my chest. Im getting the pre fight jitters.... Let's go Gennady..

Comment

• Originally posted by SCEN3RY View Post

Great post. I think it is because GGG could become a big PPV star and possibly become P4P#1 since Floyd is retired and that threatens some people for whatever reason. I'll chalk it up to him being white and foreign. If he were just white but at least American, I think more people would support him.

Comment

Working...
                      X