Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gennady Golovkin vs. David Lemieux

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good fight. I'm impressed with Golovkin. I hope the winner of Cotto vs Canelo will fight him next.
    Last edited by gamesworn; 10-18-2015, 04:19 AM.

Comment

• There are two things related to each other that Golovkin should work on. One is his body work, which despite the KD once again slacked off. It seems like Golovkin is too quick to turn into a head hunter these days. A fighter with his kind of power and proven ability to finish fights to the body should not go headhunting after hurting someone to the body.

And on that note, he should started developing a jab to the body. His jab has always been excellent, but for some reason he never uses it low. A jab to the body is an excellent momentum stopper and with his power would be an incredible weapon. Look at how well it has served Kovalev.

Comment

• Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
        Cotto somewhere was watching and a tear came to his eye.
        Cotto didn't watch the fight. He didn't want to get nightmares

Comment

• Originally posted by FrankieClutch View Post
          I'm taking GGG via TKO8. Wouldn't be surprised if it gets stopped before then though

Comment

• Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
            There are two things related to each other that Golovkin should work on. One is his body work, which despite the KD once again slacked off. It seems like Golovkin is too quick to turn into a head hunter these days. A fighter with his kind of power and proven ability to finish fights to the body should not go headhunting after hurting someone to the body.

And on that note, he should started developing a jab to the body. His jab has always been excellent, but for some reason he never uses it low. A jab to the body is an excellent momentum stopper and with his power would be an incredible weapon. Look at how well it has served Kovalev.
            First off, it's much safer when facing an explosive fighter like David or Stevens to allow them to blow off some steam before going for the body, otherwise you're risking trading your body shot for a clean headshot yourself, which is what Max and Roy discussed in the Stevens fight. It's obvious Golovkin knew what he was doing, he was very carefully looking to dismantle him, without allowing one of Lemieux clean hooks to land. If Golovkin would've thrown hooks to the body, he's wide open for a counter with his chin in the air. I don't think the risk/reward ratio is worth it against a slugger like Lemieux unless the opportunity presents itself.

Secondly, Golovkin has the best jab in boxing by far, I really would be hesistant in considering changing it when he executes it to near perfection every time. Fighters with long reach (Kovalev, Mayweather etc) benefit from jabbing to the body from a safe distance with little conseqence, but that same benefit doesn't apply to all fighters equally IMO.
            Last edited by T18Z; 10-18-2015, 05:31 AM.

Comment

• how typical, flo mos saying this is boring LMAO

Comment

• Originally posted by T18Z View Post
                First off, it's much safer when facing an explosive fighter like David or Stevens to allow them to blow off some steam before going for the body, otherwise you're risking trading your body shot for a clean headshot yourself, which is what Max and Roy discussed in the Stevens fight. It's obvious Golovkin knew what he was doing, he was very carefully looking to dismantle him, without allowing one of Lemieux clean hooks to land. If Golovkin would've thrown hooks to the body, he's wide open for a counter with his chin in the air. I don't think the risk/reward ratio is worth it against a slugger like Lemieux unless the opportunity presents itself.

Secondly, Golovkin has the best jab in boxing by far, I really would be hesistant in considering changing it when he executes it to near perfection every time. Fighters with long reach (Kovalev, Mayweather etc) benefit from jabbing to the body from a safe distance with little conseqence, but that same benefit doesn't apply to all fighters equally IMO.
                It's not just Lemieux, it's a pattern I've noticed lately. He'll hurt fighters to the body and then try to head hunt rather than go back downstairs. Seems like he doesn't work the body like he did when he first came on the scene and pretty much every time he got someone on the ropes he would rip that left hook downstairs.

And a jab to the body is worth the risk if you can execute it properly. It's an underrated weapon, especially for someone who has a jab as good as Golovkin's. I think his trainer should try it out with him.

Comment

• Just watched the fight, as expected Golovkin dominates.

Golovkin looked good, defense looked improved.

Still showed many of the same flaws though.

Lemieux was brave, but looked like a 16-1 underdog.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bipolar Hero View Post
                    Lil G should have been DQ'ed for hitting a man who was down on both knees like a fking scumbag.

MASSIVE RESPECT to David for getting up like a man after that and fighting on.

Lemieux's corner should have came in and gave that fake ass "nice guy" scumbag Lil G a beating.
                    Aw you're so emotional

Comment

• What an absolutely beautifully brutal display of boxing. I was in awe. David was overmatched, clearly, but he was a world champion and in his last fight beat up a good fighter in N'Dam, and still Golovkin absolutely dominated him.

That jab and that footwork, Golovkin boxed beautiful, cannot wait for him to get the WBC and IBO belt and move up and see him beating up some great fighters who will be a match for him, Ward and Degale inpirticular!! Looking forward to GGG smashing up James DeGale brah.

Comment

Working...
                      X