No announcement yet.

Did PBC kill Showtime Boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cantbestopped View Post
    I cant remember the last good showtime boxing card and i dont think there are any big fights on there radar, most fights coming on PBC and HBO, is showtime boxing dead ?
    No.

Showtime Championship Boxing has basically been reduced to Chavez Jr and Wilder fights (only other platform that you'll likely see Wilder fight on, beyond Showtime, is primetime NBC) for now, but the move of a ton of their boxing content to CBS has had the added benefit of allowing Showtime to really expand their ShoBox: The Next Generation series.

The names aren't as big, but Showtime is still delivering the triple and quadruple header cards, with good competitive fights, for the actual boxing fan. Have another one coming up pretty soon too.

Comment

Originally posted by AgainstTheRopes View Post
      I wish they would pick up the international fights.
      They'll likely be the ones to pick up Frampton-Quigg, Groves-Degale II, and the eventual Khan-Brook fight (if Khan ever steps up), among other fights.

The fight's got to have some meaning stateside for Showtime to worry about it; the general fan doesn't really care Chisora-Fury or Eubank-Saunders, tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
        Showtime entire budget for the year went to Mayweather vs Pacquiao plus another $30 Million they have Guaranteed for him
        Floyd Mayweather has already brought in enough revenue to put Showtime well beyond the guaranteed contract that they were on the hook for. Frankly, you can say that their share off of the Mayweather-Pacquiao and their share off of Floyd's final fight is enough money to finance a sizable boxing budget for the next 2-3 years.

not sure why it's so tough, but be honest with the critique.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
          Showtime entire budget for the year went to Mayweather vs Pacquiao plus another $30 Million they have Guaranteed for him
          This. They put everything in the Mayweather-Pacquiao boat. + 1 more Mayweather dingy that's gotta set to sea in September (or at-least I think. Floyd might be delaying for a new contract maybe, & they can't put any fights out because of the huge guarantee to him) ) lol

Comment

Espinoza claims they're going to ramp it up in the second half.
            http://www.boxingscene.com/showtime-...nd-half--93994

Comment

showtime took over the game in 2013 and was the future of boxing television

then stephen espinoza worked his magic.

Comment

We should go back to Latin fury and friday fight night.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm Peterson View Post
                  Espinoza currently makes a living trolling on twitter. He's literally got nothing better to do. That parody account of him is most likely his.
                  I guess the jokes on us, not on bigjavi

Comment

I don't even blame Haymon...This is all on Espinoza. He is the most bitter, jealous, unlikable person involved in boxing. His tongue is so far up Haymon's ass that he is in complete denial about how much he is getting screwed.

Haymon leaves him with garbage leftover fights and Showtime is actually paying for these, while ESPN, NBC, CBS, SPIKE etc are getting paid by Haymon to show more desirable fighters.

Chavez jr is a joke...He wasn't even drawing fans in his last couple fights with Top Rank and HBO, but now on Showtime he can't even deliver solid ratings, which was all he was good for in the first place.

Reading Espinoza's tweets makes me really wonder how someone so dumb can get such a job.

Showtime should be making their own moves and signing exciting fighters to exclusive contracts and work with other promoters to get the best possible all action fights. It was pathetic that after a few years of overpaying for Haymon fights that they didn't even put a strong offer up for Matthysse - Provodnikov and let cheap ass HBO win the bid.

Look at HBO right now. They are having a good year but their budget isn't enough to keep their promoters happy. Showtime should start working with Golden Boy again for example, but they won't because of their blind loyalty to Haymon's taint.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm Peterson View Post
                      Espinoza currently makes a living trolling on twitter. He's literally got nothing better to do. That parody account of him is most likely his.
                      lmao

I would actually prefer more of the better match-ups to be on showtime as opposed to "free" tv (it's not really free when you're still paying cable, plus commercials). I don't watch cable television cause the commercials irk me, so for a major fight I'd prefer the premium experience; no commercials, don't cut from the corner, better commentators, and just overall better production than pbc on nbc could deliver, or whatever pbc.

Comment

Working...
                      X