Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will GGG be a top 5 middleweight of all time by the end of his career ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People are quick to forget the fact neither Hopkins, Hagler, Or Monzons reign of opposition was far from great. Most of Haglers biggest fights were against fighters moving up, Monzon fought only in his own country also fighting far from the greatest opposition till the end of his career and Hopkins didn't find his big fights till the end of his middleweight reign often fighting individuals with no experience against good opposition. Learn the history of the greats in the middleweight division and you read and see that they were either light years ahead of the compition or didn't find the best opposition till the end of their reign.

I believe Golovkin can go down as one of the best, if he finds/continues to fight the best opposition and hopefully something great will fall into place. Yet to be seen but in time I see him getting close/equaling/going over Hopkins record. Hopkins didn't move up till after losing twice to Taylor, Hagler never moved weight neither did Monzon.

Comment

Originally posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
      Macklin, Murray, Geale and Stevens ARE bad. Not a single middleweight of any notoriety among them...
      Who? I'll wait for some names and explanation

Comment

Originally posted by meme_man View Post
        Hahaha is this real life? Top five all time put the pipe down.
        The gggtards are crazy with this one lol. The middleweight division is one of the worst divisons in Boxing.

Comment

no....he doesn't have the opposition, the time, nor the talent to pass SRR, Monzon, Hagler, Greb, Hopkins, Freddie Steele, Bob Fitzsimmons or Freddie Steele

Comment

Originally posted by el malo View Post
            The gggtards are crazy with this one lol. The middleweight division is one of the worst divisons in Boxing.
            Next to... heavyweight, cruiserweight, junior middleweight, lightweight... And damn near every smaller weight class outside of junior feather and featherweight. People are too quick to criticize! Who did Hagler fight in his reign before Hearns; who outside of the late wins against later champions that title bounced back and fourth, what about Hopkins early wins against equally as good as opposition as Golovkins.

Comment

Threads like this display the ******ation of Golovkin fans.

A 33 year old who's only two wins of note are Daniel Geale and Martin Murray is apparently a shoe-in for top 5 in the second most prestigious division in boxing.

You can't make this stuff up. Golovkin fans are more ******ed than Pacquiao's. At least Pacquiao fans slobbed off a great fighter. Golovkin fans slob off a coward.

Comment

Originally posted by BigAlexSand View Post
                Next to... heavyweight, cruiserweight, junior middleweight, lightweight... And damn near every smaller weight class outside of junior feather and featherweight. People are too quick to criticize! Who did Hagler fight in his reign before Hearns; who outside of the late wins against later champions that title bounced back and fourth, what about Hopkins early wins against equally as good as opposition as Golovkins.
                The thread asks "Top 5"...This isn't my list but how can you place GGG over these 5:

1. Harry Greb - I'm not going through his resume. I'm sure you agree this is a big no no.

2. Sugar Ray Robinson - Again, I shouldn't have to go into any detail here either.

3. Carlos Monzon - 14 title defenses including hall of famers Emile Griffith and Nino Benvenuti. GGG has the title defenses but not the quality of opposition and I don't think its possible to ever get there.

4. Marvin Hagler - 12 title defenses including wins over 4 world champions including Vito Antufurmo, Thomas Hearns and Roberto Duran. Hearns and Duran were fighters moving up in weight but were much more accomplished MWs than Canelo or Cotto.

5. Bernard Hopkins - 20 title defenses with his biggest win over Trinidad (HOF) but also wins over Holmes, Joppy and Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BigAlexSand View Post
                  Hopkins didn't move up till after losing twice to Taylor, Hagler never moved weight neither did Monzon.
                  What does moving up have to do with this discussion? We're talking about the MW division.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavyfist View Post
                    Very hard to say. He's already one of the best of this generation. That's good enough. And he's going to be a first ballot HOFamer.

A Lemieux win will be a HUGE feather in is cap. Would be one of the best MW wins of this whole generation, since right now Lemieux is an absolute monster.
                    So a fighter with ZERO quality wins is one of the best of his generation and a first ballot HOFer? Really? Really?

Comment

imo he's nowhere near any discussions of atg mws

Comment

Working...
                      X