Collapse
No announcement yet.

These Fighters Want to Be "Money" but want to skip the trials of "Pretty Boy"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These Fighters Want to Be "Money" but want to skip the trials of "Pretty Boy"

If I hear the word "A-Side" one more time, I will throw a fit.

This thread is inspired by Danny Jacobs A-side rant BTW.

It's no secret I'm a Floyd fan. Been one since 1996 when he fought at the Olympics. He is one of the most skilled, compete fighters I have ever seen and I love watching boxing at its highest level. With that said, I do not like the impact he will leave on the sport going forward.

I understand divas have existed since the 1900s. The great Ray Robinson was a diva, Leonard was a diva, and numerous other fighters used to get cute in negotiations to gain advantages. That's not my issue. You put in work, bleed, fight killers, put your life at stake...you deserve to get paid, call the shots and make it tough for a young fighter to use the name that you worked so hard to build to launch his career.

But now, you have guys like Danny Jacobs, Peter Quillin, Frampton/Quigg, Rigo/Loma, Demetrius Andrade, GGG/Ward, Kovalev/Stevenson, Khan/Brook, etc. etc. talking this a-side, A-side BS. What have these guys accomplished to be making such demands? None of them have classic battles, hall of fame resumes or anything.

And it doesn't end there. You have Danny Garcia taking soft touches and not giving anybody rematches. Adrien Broner declaring himself next in line while accomplishing nothing. Keith Thurman treating Errol Spence like other fighters he complains about. GGG and Rigo afraid to test their skills one division higher. Nobody has the desire to be the next ATG fighter.

Floyd and Pac weren't perfect but they took risks, gave rematches in controversial fights, and fought the best in several weight divisions. When moving up to 135, Floyd fought Castillo while Broner and Garcia fought Paulie.

I understand there are some qualities that make you born a superstar. Your charisma, nationality, color, personality, etc. But every boxing superstar from Leonard, Chavez, Floyd, Pac, Oscar, Tyson, etc.....all had one thing in common.....

They tested themselves against the best. And they didn't act like divas until they earned the right to.

This is true, especially Pacquiao his obsession with TBE needs to stop.

Comment

Very true, these dudes barely accomplish anything and want to be treated like kings.

You can thank Floyd and Haymon for that, for the most part. If there being paid over a mill to fight scrubs theres no reason for them to fight real competition.

These guys have no drive for greatness, Haymon has taken that out of the sport with his welfare boxing program.

Comment

Originally posted by BertoRollin' View Post

It's no secret I'm a Floyd fan. Been one since 1996 when he fought at the Olympics. He is one of the most skilled, compete fighters I have ever seen and I love watching boxing at its highest level. With that said, I do not like the impact he will leave on the sport going forward.

I understand divas have existed since the 1900s. The great Ray Robinson was a diva, Leonard was a diva, and numerous other fighters used to get cute in negotiations to gain advantages. That's not my issue. You put in work, bleed, fight killers, put your life at stake...you deserve to get paid, call the shots and make it tough for a young fighter to use the name that you worked so hard to build to launch his career.

But now, you have guys like Danny Jacobs, Peter Quillin, Frampton/Quigg, Rigo/Loma, Demetrius Andrade, GGG/Ward, Kovalev/Stevenson, Khan/Brook, etc. etc. talking this a-side, A-side BS. What have these guys accomplished to be making such demands? None of them have classic battles, hall of fame resumes or anything.

And it doesn't end there. You have Danny Garcia taking soft touches and not giving anybody rematches. Adrien Broner declaring himself next in line while accomplishing nothing. Keith Thurman treating Errol Spence like other fighters he complains about. GGG and Rigo afraid to test their skills one division higher. Nobody has the desire to be the next ATG fighter.

Floyd and Pac weren't perfect but they took risks, gave rematches in controversial fights, and fought the best in several weight divisions. When moving up to 135, Floyd fought Castillo while Broner and Garcia fought Paulie.

I understand there are some qualities that make you born a superstar. Your charisma, nationality, color, personality, etc. But every boxing superstar from Leonard, Chavez, Floyd, Pac, Oscar, Tyson, etc.....all had one thing in common.....

They tested themselves against the best. And they didn't act like divas until they earned the right to.
        Danny's resume speaks for itself taking soft touches in between tough fights has happened in every fighters career.

Comment

Great thread. Can't argue with any of it.

Comment

Wilder is a joke.

Plain and simple.

Comment

This is so true. I've actually used this exact comparison when guys talk like Jacobs did. None of these jackass wannabe stars today seem to understand that the only reason "Money" existed is because of the hard work Pretty Boy Floyd put in.

It's not just him, either. Every single superstar this sport has ever seen put in the hard work to get there. They fought the best and proved themselves to be superstars. They didn't cherry pick to 20-0 and start getting paid millions. They won titles, cleaned out divisions, beat the best they could, and spent years earning that ****. Mayweather, Pacquiao, Wlad, Lennox, Roy, Whitaker, Chavez, Leonard, Tyson, Holyfield, go down the list and every single one of them was Pretty Boy before they were ever Money.

Comment

this is true, it's like this guys think floyd and manny started their careers after beating oscar de la hoya

Comment

Originally posted by BertoRollin' View Post

Good post!!!!!

Self-entitlement is becoming an epidemic with the younger crop of boxers. And I don't see it getting any better over time.

Out of the names mentioned (Danny Jacobs, Peter Quillin, Frampton/Quigg, Rigo/Loma, Demetrius Andrade, GGG/Ward, Kovalev/Stevenson, Khan/Brook) Only Ward and Kovalev have demonstrated the willingness to face challenges. The rest have been feasting on lower-level competition habitually, while insisting that only a few brings anything worthwhile to the table.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                    This is so true. I've actually used this exact comparison when guys talk like Jacobs did. None of these jackass wannabe stars today seem to understand that the only reason "Money" existed is because of the hard work Pretty Boy Floyd put in.

It's not just him, either. Every single superstar this sport has ever seen put in the hard work to get there. They fought the best and proved themselves to be superstars. They didn't cherry pick to 20-0 and start getting paid millions. They won titles, cleaned out divisions, beat the best they could, and spent years earning that ****. Mayweather, Pacquiao, Wlad, Lennox, Roy, Whitaker, Chavez, Leonard, Tyson, Holyfield, go down the list and every single one of them was Pretty Boy before they were ever Money.
                    I'm not going to act like this is something new but it's gotten way out of hand.

Quillin wants to build the GGG fight up to be a $100 million fight

Khan wants to build the Brook fight up to be a $100 million fight

Santa Cruz wants $3million for Rigo

Do they realize what Floyd and Manny went through to become $100 million fighters in the first place?

And Quillin is fighting Tony Jeter next to get to that level?

Comment

Working...
                    X