Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the Cruiserweight division really need to exist?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L33tboxingdewd View Post
    Any real boxing fan knows CW is an awesome division with tons of great young talent and veterans. So many great fights to be made.

But they aren't American doe!
    Yep..........

Comment

Hernandez kudryshov mackuga mchunu...
      Wlod... chakiev...

I dare say CW is one of the top 3 talent - rich divisions.

Comment

Back in the day when hw topped off at 225 or so not really, but since top hw now are closer to 250 then 200 it is a necessity.

As for wether it is an interesting division, I consider all devisions have real talent if you know where to look.
        Last edited by AllEyesOpen; 08-01-2015, 11:20 AM.

Comment

It needs to exist but it isn't popular or interesting for me.

Comment

In my opinion it needs to exist, the guys at Cruiserweight are big guys but its sort of became the age of a big heavyweight man so this is the one reason that I think the division needs to exist.
            The guys of the old days of the heavyweight division would likely need that because most of them were just weren't that big in comparison to some of the size of the lads now and for them to put themselves up against a 40-60lbs disadvantage its pretty dumb.
            So basically without you'd be asking these guys to try and force extra weight on their frame or for them to try their best to boil down as much weight as possible so they could just make 175lbs but we all know that isn't healthy...
            Imagine having the heavyweight division from 176lbs onwards to whatever weight your opponent can or wants to make.

Comment

Smh poll shoulda been public.. 7 people DKSAB

Comment

Originally posted by Mukuro View Post
                After watching the PBC Cruiserweight card the other night, I had some deep thoughts about how ****ty the Cruiserweight division has always been. A few good fighters have gone through it from time to time, and even a half decent fight or two, but as far as I know it has never been anything but a waypoint between real divisions. It is either guys too fat and lazy to make 175 or half ass heavyweights who are too shy to hang with the big boys. It doesn't even feel like a legit division and every time I notice that it is the weight class of a fight I'm about to watch, I shrug my soldiers and tune out.

Is it just me, or is the Cruiserweight division a joke? Would anyone miss it?
                Afraid it's "just you" figuratively speaking although the perception certainly exists State-side and UK to a lesser degree.

Assessing the cruiserweight division on the basis of Flores-Shumenov is like assessing the welterweight division on the basis of Jojo Dan v Selcuk Aydin.

Currently, if the top cruisers were based and aired in the US, it would be one of the most exciting divisions and considered amongst the best.

Comment

Kudryashov looks like a beast. I'd like to see him vs. some of the other Russian CWs; Drozd, Lebedev. Too bad Russians don't like fighting each other.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                    Huck is a damn good fighter, Afolabi was fun for a while, Pablo seems skilled but hasn't done much, Cunningham was pretty good. So, in recent years the division has had some decent fighters. You're asking "is it necessary?" Well, purely in terms of why weight divisions are needed, cruiserweight is the most necessary division in boxing.

From LHW to HW there is a 25lb gap, which is huge. The question is, are light middle and light welter necessary divisions?

Having said that, I would like SMW to have an upper limit of 175lb and LHW to have an upper limit of 185 or 190lb. It would take one entire division out of an already crowded sport.
                    I don't think it would hurt boxing to get rid of divisions like 122 or 154, but I also feel that those divisions typically have had more interesting fights and fighters than CW. Meanwhile, while CW occupies a large gap in weight, it has never once been a compelling division.

I agree that in theory it makes a lot of sense, but I just never once found the division interesting. Judging by some of the responses, maybe it just a preference.

For those blaming me for only caring about American fighters, you are far off
                    My favorite fighters are from Russia/Eastern Europe.

As for coverage, maybe the reasons they are not being covered is because they simply aren't that great.

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
                    Cruiserweight is a joke?

Holyfield is the Cruiserweight poster boy lol
                    He made it as a heavyweight doe

Comment

With today's superheavy fighters, it definitely should be there.

Comment

Working...
                      X