Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the Cruiserweight division really need to exist?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L33tboxingdewd View Post
    So the comment about CW just being the division where in shape HW fight is pure rubbish and shows a huge lack of knowledge and appreciation of the concept of weight divisions.
    No, it isn't - and it wasn't a critical remark, either. Virtually everyone in the top ten at the cruiserweight division is in shape and generally cuts down (albeit not by a great amount) to make the limit, so they're essentially smaller heavyweights.

In terms of overall talent, it's clearly a better, deeper division than the heavyweight division.

Comment

If the nfl ever got cancelled cruiser weight would be epic lol

Comment

The divison has produced many good fights over the last few years.

One of my favorites.

And if there is something that should stop existing it's OP's account.

Comment

I used to spar at CW being 5'10 I was always shorter than my opponents and let me let you know there is definitely a need for the CW division, I sparred a couple of HWs and the power difference between even your hard punching CW and a above average punching HW is massive.

Its unfair for a CW to go in against a bigger guy because weight equates to force and that equation really does hurt especially when your wearing 10oz gloves.

Comment

at using Shumenov or flores as indications of needing a division when one should ask why are we needing either of those 2 to ever fight on TV that can be watched by hundreds of people.

Comment

This thread makes me mad.

How many of the people dissing the division have even heard of Usyk, Kudryashov, Chakhkiev, Makabu, Kalenga and the like, let alone watched a single of their fights? None I reckon. Why else would they spout the gibberish they're spouting? Most likely they just caught Flores vs Shumenov or some American televised nonsense and came here to air their expert views.

The Cruiserweight division is quite simply the most overlooked and underrated division in boxing, bar none. There isn't another division around today that's so packed full of action fighters and brutal knockout artists that so few people know about or care about. It's infuriating. These guys beat the crap out of each other for peanuts and don't get anywhere near the coverage or praise they deserve.

What's more, unlike the pampered divas of the lower divisions, the top Cruisers are more than willing to fight each other on a regular basis and frequently put on FOTY type fights for a fraction of the money and the pre-fight phony drama. It's everything boxing should be, and to hear ignorant idiots pronounce judgement on it like they even know what they're talking about makes me despair of the future of the sport.

Cruiserweight is literally old school heavyweight, 200lbs killers with enough punching power to destroy any man on the planet and skills to match. Why the hell people would prefer to watch someone like Chris Arreola over guys like that just boggles the mind.

If you don't like the Cruiserweight division you can sod right off as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by It's Ovah View Post
                This thread makes me mad.

How many of the people dissing the division have even heard of Usyk, Kudryashov, Chakhkiev, Makabu, Kalenga and the like, let alone watched a single of their fights? None I reckon. Why else would they spout the gibberish they're spouting? Most likely they just caught Flores vs Shumenov or some American televised nonsense and came here to air their expert views.

The Cruiserweight division is quite simply the most overlooked and underrated division in boxing, bar none. There isn't another division around today that's so packed full of action fighters and brutal knockout artists that so few people know about or care about. It's infuriating. These guys beat the crap out of each other for peanuts and don't get anywhere near the coverage or praise they deserve.

What's more, unlike the pampered divas of the lower divisions, the top Cruisers are more than willing to fight each other on a regular basis and frequently put on FOTY type fights for a fraction of the money and the pre-fight phony drama. It's everything boxing should be, and to hear ignorant idiots pronounce judgement on it like they even know what they're talking about makes me despair of the future of the sport.

Cruiserweight is literally old school heavyweight, 200lbs killers with enough punching power to destroy any man on the planet and skills to match. Why the hell people would prefer to watch someone like Chris Arreola over guys like that just boggles the mind.

If you don't like the Cruiserweight division you can sod right off as far as I'm concerned.
                Yeah.... apart from the fact the champions never fight each other. Huck v Hernandez should have happened a long time ago

Other than that, I agree

Comment

The division goes unnoticed in the US because it's never on US TV and the fighters aren't signed to US promoters.

But if you think the division shouldn't exist you probably haven't seen classics like Holyfield vs Qawi and Toney vs Jirov.

Comment

It can go, along with over half the divisions under 130.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X