Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I find it ironic roy Pernell and Floyd are not beloved but were the best of their tim

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RJJ was a once in a generation fighter. Explosive, entertaining, just an all round excellent fighter. I loved watching him because he ignored all the boxing fundamentals yet still went out there and dominated.

Problems I have with Roy is how during his prime years when he had a lucrative HBO contract, he fought some really weak opposition. There was a point where he fought a string of civil service workers. A police man, a sanitation worker, and even a substitute teacher. WTF was that about? LOL.

I loved watching RJJ but he also turned many casuals off with his brash arrogant persona.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
      RJJ was a once in a generation fighter. Explosive, entertaining, just an all round excellent fighter. I loved watching him because he ignored all the boxing fundamentals yet still went out there and dominated.

Problems I have with Roy is how during his prime years when he had a lucrative HBO contract, he fought some really weak opposition. There was a point where he fought a string of civil service workers. A police man, a sanitation worker, and even a substitute teacher. WTF was that about? LOL.

I loved watching RJJ but he also turned many casuals off with his brash arrogant persona.
      Yeah a disgraceful run he went on. So many great Euros at SMW and LHWT at the time. Also Michael Nunn and a host of fantastic middleweights coming up. RJJ had a chance to put together one of the greatest careers ever but fought a bunch of professional skateboarders and bailiffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Pac=Duran View Post
        Yeah a disgraceful run he went on. So many great Euros at SMW and LHWT at the time. Also Michael Nunn and a host of fantastic middleweights coming up. RJJ had a chance to put together one of the greatest careers ever but fought a bunch of professional skateboarders and bailiffs.
        I don't know when those fights were supposed to happen and, more important, why you think Jones was at fault. Some specifics would be nice. Like when exactly.

Anyway, Jones I think was caught in no man's land at 175 for a long time. No real big fights there. Nothing at 168 or cruiser either.

Comment

Best?

My question is, how do you put Roy in the same sentence as Whitaker? And Floyd wasn't the best of his time, Manny WAS. You guys want to look at a fighter's record, PPV Buys, etc. Who did he defeat and WHEN??? Manny's resume is far more impressive than Floyd's. So, how is he the best of his time? Morons. Back to Roy. Roy was overrated. As soon as he fought a fighter who didn't flinch from his speed, he looked ordinary. That fighter was Tarver. Until Tarver, Toney was the only other REAL threat he fought. He beat an unmotivated and very arrogant version of Toney though. Toney didn't even train for Roy really. A motivated Toney KO's Roy. PERIOD. Roy is the fastest fighter in history I think. SO WHAT!!!!!!!! It doesn't mean you're an ATG. Stop overrating guys and look at facts. Whitaker is an ATG and best defensive fighter in history. Why? For a few reasons I've stated over and over again. He did what he did against the very best and never ducked a challenge. If the fans or media said a guy could beat him, he fought that guy. You could not hit Pea with any one punch, consistently. He is a boxing God and in my top five. Along with SRL, Duran, Manny, and Hagler.

Comment

Real talk.......

Originally posted by Pac=Duran View Post

I just basically said the same thing. Roy is not an ATG. He is far from that. He fought a lot of Taxi drivers, Cops, Firemen, etc. He ducked the very best for years. What we didn't know all that time, is that he couldn't take a punch. This site overrates him, Floyd, and Hopkins. I have more respect for Hopkin's than I do Floyd and Roy.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
              Boxing fans are the worst and best fans

Before these guys were in their mid to early 30s they were the best of their time but others are more beloved

JCC lol can't hold a candle to sweet pea Whitaker

Odlh made big bucks was beloved but rjj was the best of the 90s

PAC man got fighter of the decade in a decade he lost n drew in while Mayweather went undefeated and had bigger fights beat every common opponent except cotto first in their career....I don't include jmm for PAC..
              4 tries no clear decisive win

Hmmm....I wonder why

People like good losers

Not fighters who win.....make it look easy....people hated Ali too, til he couldn't speak to the world
              Well to tell you the truth when it comes down to it, at least for sweet pea and Floyd it's just their style of boxing that is not appealing to the masses. Those two guys always had the die hard boxing fan supports regardles if it was positive or negative. But outside the die hard fan their styles are not considered appealing and for that especially for sweet pea he didn't have a huge following. For Floyd he has found is good little niche of fans but his whole demeanor turns the masses off. I look at Floyd and always think he could have been so much more as far as being loved by everyone. His whole money money money demeanor really turns people off and his domestic incidents didn't help. And for sweet pea he just had a boring personality so that didn't mesh well with the masses either who already considered his boxing style boring.

With Roy Jones I thought he was loved. I never remember people bringing the hate down on him. He was a loved boxer especially coming out of the Olympics. But I think his issue for not garnering a huge following like ODLH or Chavez or SRL is the division he was in. ODLH and SRL made their bones in the welterweight division which is the glamour division next to heavyweights. Roy jones was getting lots of attention at middleweeight when he was starting his career. But in the U.S. people just don't like the super middleweight or light heavyweight divisions for some reason. Add to that his lack of big time competition(that's not Roy's fault) in super middle weight or light heavyweight that people recognize added to his not garnering a huge fan base. I was always a huge Roy fan but that dude just couldnt draw flies outside of florida. It's just IMO his divisions he fought in and his comp.

That my opinion. Agree or not agree lets chat.
              Last edited by boxinghead530; 07-31-2015, 09:36 AM.

Comment

I also think nationality has lots to do with it. Latin and Euro fans show more support for their fighters than black/african american's show for theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post

This is the exact concern I complained about with canelo/Kirkland and kov/mohammedi and GGG's resume since signing to HBO.

Comment

Only in a mind so desperate to make Floyd Mayweather a victim are he, Roy Jones, and Pernell Whitaker not beloved.

Comment

everybody likes whitaker, for the most part and he is highly rated. IDK about during his reign back in the day.

people usually ***** a lot during a fighters reign but after they retire and some years passed everyone forgets all of that.

Look at lennox and vitali, *****ing about lennox holding too much and his chin, *****ing about vitali being robotick, now that theyre retired nobody says that **** anymore and rates them highly. Floyd will be the same

Comment

Working...
                      X