Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do some keep insisting that GGG go up and fight Ward?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ward fights Closer to Kov's weight class than he does GGG's. Ward last fought at 172lbs. Kov fights at 175lbs. 3lb difference whereas there's a 12lb difference from where GGG fights and Ward last fought.

Comment

Originally posted by Kagami Taiga View Post
      Insist? Because it's one of the best fights that can be made in boxing . 2 p4p guys a division away? Why shouldn't they fight?
      They're more than a division away now. Golovkin is still barely cutting to make 160 and Ward just fought at 172.

Ward and Kovalev aren't even 1 division apart anymore. They are technically both light heavyweights until we see if Ward can still make 168. They have about the same height and reach as well.

It's a far more interesting fight.

I'm not sure how much credit Ward would even get for beating GGG at his full weight, and I do think Ward would win.

This is a very manufactured rivalry where each guy takes turns pretending to want it when the other withdraws their offer. It's not an organic, inevitable fight. Whoever gets their weight demand basically wins since we either get a deathly drained Ward or an outsized Golovkin.
      Last edited by ////; 07-30-2015, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cruisin' View Post
        They're more than a division away now. Golovkin is still barely cutting to make 160 and Ward just fought at 172.

Ward and Kovalev aren't even 1 division apart anymore. They are technically both light heavyweights until we see if Ward can still make 168. They have about the same height and reach as well.

It's a far more interesting fight.

I'm not sure how much credit Ward would even get for beating GGG at his full weight, and I do think Ward would win.

This is a very manufactured rivalry where each guy takes turns pretending to want it when the other withdraws their offer. It's not an organic, inevitable fight. Whoever gets their weight demand basically wins since we either get a deathly drained Ward or an outsized Golovkin.
        Exactly! I think most people here know better but are to busy with agendas.

Comment

GGG fans are ****ting bricks at the prospect of him fighting a top fighter.

Its quite a turnaround from the days of GGG being the most feared fighter in boxing.

Anyway, my stance on both fights is the same. If GGG fights Ward, its gotta be at 168. If Ward fights Kovalev, its gotta be at 175.

Its pretty simple.

Comment

It might be because "every body from 154 to 168" includes everybody, but he does have unfinished business at 160 and a whole lot more money to make there.

Comment

I'm changing my stance on this. Who would want to see Ward easily school GGG and get no credit for it?

GGG is too small, his team has no confidence in him beating Ward, his fans have no confidence in beating Ward, so the fight makes no sense anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by BertoRollin' View Post
                I'm changing my stance on this. Who would want to see Ward easily school GGG and get no credit for it?

GGG is too small, his team has no confidence in him beating Ward, his fans have no confidence in beating Ward, so the fight makes no sense anymore.
                I don't know why people are so desperate to make it happen. It's like you said Ward will get no credit for making a middleweight go up to fight him. Ward Kovalev is the fight to be made.

Comment

Ward weighed 173 3 weeks before his last fight, Golovkin weighs in the 170s on fight night. Golovkin and Ward aren't far apart in size, Golovkin just drains more.

Comment

Originally posted by torosboxing75 View Post
                    I don't know why people are so desperate to make it happen. It's like you said Ward will get no credit for making a middleweight go up to fight him. Ward Kovalev is the fight to be made.
                    Any boxing fan should want to see the best fight the best. GGG and Ward were thought to have been two of the best. But at this stage, it's clear that one side has no confidence that their fighter can go up to 168 and beat Ward so it kind of kills the idea of a super fight.

At this stage it's pretty much a forgone conclusion that Ward will win. No need for the fight anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by BertoRollin' View Post
                      Any boxing fan should want to see the best fight the best. GGG and Ward were thought to have been two of the best. But at this stage, it's clear that one side has no confidence that their fighter can go up to 168 and beat Ward so it kind of kills the idea of a super fight.

At this stage it's pretty much a forgone conclusion that Ward will win. No need for the fight anymore.
                      Agreed. That's why I'm starting to believe Ward is scared of Kovalev. It's obvious GGG's team don't want Ward right now and for good reason. Ward has no excuse to not move up and face the Krusher.

Comment

Working...
                      X