Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Does Gennady Golovkin Fear Greatness?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post

Golovkin/Lemieux gets more ppv buys than Ward will get viewers on BET.
    PPV buys?

Comment

• Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post

Golovkin/Lemieux gets more ppv buys than Ward will get viewers on BET.
      About time!!!!

And Ward/GGG PPV gets more buys than Lemiux/GGG but thats not here or there Im just happy GGG is stepping up somewhat

Comment

• I agree op....

Comment

• OP is one of the best posters on this site but he has turned full ****** with this thread.

Let's analyse the Ward thing properly.

WE, the boxing nerds, know a fight at 168 is pretty crap because Ward would be depleting himself too much - he's already big at 168, even though he keeps himself in shape all year round. And quite frankly, I could do without the whining of the anti-Golovkin brigade.

In GGG's mind....he's meeting a GREAT fighter, so the whole 50/50 angle makes sense. Let's cut the whole thing - purse, weight - in half so it requires give and take on both sides.

The reason he didn't need a catchweight for Chavez and Froch is quite simple - they are nowhere near as good as Ward. The bigger the risk, the more you want back in return. What the hell do you want him to do, pretend that going up to meet Ward at 168 is the same as meeting JCC JR the same?

In the main thread about GGG wanting a catchweight, the first page was full of Mayweather fans whining about it. I guess you guys have crawled back out from under your rocks since the Canelo catchweight fiasco? Seriously, does it ever enter your heads how stupid you sound? You used to go ape**** at Pacquiao doing catchweights, then shut your damn mouth when Floyd fought Canelo at catchweights....and now you've piped up again, going crazy cos Golovkin had the nerve to suggest a CW.

Catchweights are not ideal but they are sometimes the only way we will get to see two great fighters meet. This has always been my stance, back from when Pac was doing CWs, to Floyd bringing JMM up, to Porter and Broner meeting at 144. Ward has every right to reject it but the idea itself is not as ****ing terrible as you ******s make it out to be.

To circle back to the original question; no, GGG does not fear greatness. He fears a very difficult fight with Ward, which I don't think they want at the moment but they are going to have to have in a few fights. Believe it or not, sometimes mega-fights do need to marinate, especially as Floyd will be retiring and the sport will be looking for a new king.

But losing your shi*t cos GGG had the audacity to ask to meet in the middle with Ward is just ****ing stupid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guerrero's Dad View Post
            OP is one of the best posters on this site but he has turned full ****** with this thread.

WE, the boxing nerds, know a fight at 168 is pretty crap because Ward would be depleting himself too much - he's already big at 168, even though he keeps himself in shape all year round. And quite frankly, I could do without the whining of the anti-Golovkin brigade.

In GGG's mind....he's meeting a GREAT fighter, so the whole 50/50 angle makes sense. Let's cut the whole thing - purse, weight - in half so it requires give and take on both sides.

The reason he didn't need a catchweight for Chavez and Froch is quite simple - they are nowhere near as good as Ward. The bigger the risk, the more you want back in return. What the hell do you want him to do, pretend that going up to meet Ward at 168 is the same as meeting JCC JR the same?

In the main thread about GGG wanting a catchweight, the first page was full of Mayweather fans whining about it. I guess you guys have crawled back out from under your rocks since the Canelo catchweight fiasco? Seriously, does it ever enter your heads how stupid you sound? You used to go ape**** at Pacquiao doing catchweights, then shut your damn mouth when Floyd fought Canelo at catchweights....and now you've piped up again, going crazy cos Golovkin had the nerve to suggest a CW.

Catchweights are not ideal but they are sometimes the only way we will get to see two great fighters meet. This has always been my stance, back from when Pac was doing CWs, to Floyd bringing JMM up, to Porter and Broner meeting at 144. Ward has every right to reject it but the idea itself is not as ****ing terrible as you ******s make it out to be.

To circle back to the original question; no, GGG does not fear greatness. He fears a very difficult fight with Ward, which I don't think they want at the moment but they are going to have to have in a few fights. Believe it or not, sometimes mega-fights do need to marinate, especially as Floyd will be retiring and the sport will be looking for a new king.

But losing your shi*t cos GGG had the audacity to ask to meet in the middle with Ward is just ****ing stupid.
            I never had a horse in the Mayweather-Pacquiao ****fest and disagreed with when they both did catchweights.

However, they both moved up with 6 and 8 weights respectively. Golovkin has yet to move up 1 weight. How are the situations even comparable? They'd already had borderline HOF careers when they started asking for catchweights. Has Golovkin? No he's fought a bunch of pot washers yet feels he is entitled to be some shot caller.

And finally....what gets people the most...is the hype surrounding Golovkin. The hype from his camp about how he's going to smash everyone from 154-175. But then suddenly they need a catchweight to fight Andre Ward? You don't see how weak that looks?

Yes Ward is better than Froch/Chavez but to so publicly draw attention to it by demanding catchweights after all your boasts about how you'd KO everyone isn't a good look.

Golovkin is basically admitting that he isn't good enough to beat Ward at his natural weight. That doesn't quite go along with what his team and his fans have been trying to force feed us for the past few years, does it?

Comment

• Originally posted by ***1048;ATAS View Post
              He doesn't, all this is is timing.

He's in line to unify 160 and potentially get a big fight against Canelo all within a year (this is assuming Canelo beats Cotto). Which is something he's worked his entire career for. He's very close to obtaining his goal.

He can potentially win another belt against Lemieux in October and if all goes well fight Canelo for the lineal & WBC middleweight titles around May. How awesome would that be for Golovkin? Huge.

After that he can fight Ward for an even bigger fight than what it is today (even Ward has said the fight will be bigger with time).

People are impatient. Let Golovkin try to at least accomplish his goal here. If he gets rejected by Canelo/Cotto again, he'll probably fight Ward without the belts regardless. But understand the position he's in, being literally one fight away from a "super fight" (he is mandatory and apparently getting this in writing from the WBC).
              ^This right here. Good post. I don't get how it's so hard for some people to understand the position he is in. Try to look at the situation objectively (I know this may be difficult or even impossible for some of you), what would YOU do if you were in his position?

Comment

• Originally posted by Guerrero's Dad View Post
                OP is one of the best posters on this site but he has turned full ****** with this thread.
                Why because it's a criticism of a fighter you like

They know exactly what they're doing. They are throwing out a condition that they know Ward will not agree to because they don't want the fight.

So he's not confident that he can beat Andre Ward at his best.

So he's not confident he can beat Andre Ward at his best

Floyd and Pac were on their 5/8th weight divisions. Not similar at all.

Catchweights were appropriate BEFORE the introduction of junior weight classes. For example, I fight at 147 you fight at 135, we're the top 2 in the sport, let's meet at 140. Nowadays it's stupid.

So he's not confident that he can beat Andre Ward at his best.

You gave me the answer I was looking for. You're #3 or 4 at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
                  I never had a horse in the Mayweather-Pacquiao ****fest and disagreed with when they both did catchweights.

However, they both moved up with 6 and 8 weights respectively. Golovkin has yet to move up 1 weight. How are the situations even comparable? They'd already had borderline HOF careers when they started asking for catchweights. Has Golovkin? No he's fought a bunch of pot washers yet feels he is entitled to be some shot caller.

And finally....what gets people the most...is the hype surrounding Golovkin. The hype from his camp about how he's going to smash everyone from 154-175. But then suddenly they need a catchweight to fight Andre Ward? You don't see how weak that looks?

Yes Ward is better than Froch/Chavez but to so publicly draw attention to it by demanding catchweights after all your boasts about how you'd KO everyone isn't a good look.

Golovkin is basically admitting that he isn't good enough to beat Ward at his natural weight. That doesn't quite go along with what his team and his fans have been trying to force feed us for the past few years, does it?
                  Who seriously gives a **** about all that? You guys get so hung up on all these external factors that have little relevance to real life and the actual mechanics of the sport.

No, it's not weak to admit you don't want to give all the concessions to a (special, IMHO) fighter like Ward.

All this stuff about him being fearless and destroying everyone....who cares? It's nothing more than trying to build a profile. We all know it's hyperbole. Getting mad at the hype machine surrounding a fighter is kinda ridiculous, as everything is overblown because of the need to sell and appeal to a larger market/fanbase. This is boxing - only two fighters in the sport have a mainstream profile.

Stop getting mad at hype machines and external factors. Take a step back, a deep breath and see the situation for what it is, rather than blowing a lid because a fighter asked another to meet him a half-way catchweight.

Comment

• Because they don't actually want the fight.

They know that there is more chance of me fighting Ward at 168 than there is Ward fighting at 164. Or anything under 168 for that matter.

Asking for 164 is the same as saying "I don't want the fight"

Comment

• GGG is ducking Ward thats what this weight BS is all about , move up one weight class like a star not talk big beating B graders and challange guys that came from 130 , Manny Floyd moved up 5-8 weight classes and GGG cant move up one , its a phoney move by him and he losing all credibility .

Comment

Working...
                      X