Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's the better defensive fighter Floyd Mayweather Jr. or Pernell Whitaker?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't choose. Whitaker's defense only truly shined when he was against less than stellar opposition. While his defense looked good even against great fighter's, the fights themselves looked more competitive than what Floyd makes them seem when he makes great fighters look average. So I'll go by the stats and say Floyd. My heart chooses Whitaker but times are different so we can't even compare opposition.

Comment

Every time I come into a thread, Iron Dan is putting a beating on someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Xi_ View Post
        I don't give crap about outside the ring activities. Duran was full of excuses when he lost to srl. They don't get any benefit of the doubt from me for not being consistent. Can you produce in the ring???? Thats the only question that matters. Both toney and Jones used peds as well so we have to keep that in mind too. Whitaker was getting dropped by lesser fighters in his prime. Floyd and Hopkins have done it the correct way and that's why they're greater defensive fighters.
        You don't give a crap about outside the ring a activities but that's what you base your opinion on. Hopkins beating Karo Murat and Shumenov at age 50 does not make him a better defensive fighter than others. He aged and found ways to conserve energy by minimizing his output, resting on the ropes, selecting opponents carefully, smothering and clinching.

I give him props for his healthy lifestyle and commitment tho.

Comment

its real close

Comment

Whitaker no doubt. Whitaker fought the better prime opposition too. You have to respect that. He had no fear.

Comment

Originally posted by Damiens View Post
              I can't choose. Whitaker's defense only truly shined when he was against less than stellar opposition. While his defense looked good even against great fighter's, the fights themselves looked more competitive than what Floyd makes them seem when he makes great fighters look average. So I'll go by the stats and say Floyd. My heart chooses Whitaker but times are different so we can't even compare opposition.
              Who on floyds resume is the equal of a julio cesar Chavez?

Comment

Floyd. I am confident that he'd be able to beat Whitaker too. Floyd always looks like he's in complete control against his opponents even when there are times he wasn't.Whitaker had a flashier bob and weave tactic, but to me Floyd is more fundamentally sound and has more defensive tactics that he utilized to nullify any type of styles.
                Last edited by Carpe Diem; 07-16-2015, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by radioraheem View Post
                  It's funny how many people don't realise they fought.
                  It's funnier that people here pretend like they watched Whitaker's career.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
                    It's not an excuse. It's just pointing out how irrelevant it is. Being the best defensive fighter to me involves not only limiting the amount of punishment you take but being able to transition out of a defensive position and launch a consistent sustained offensive attack. Whitaker, Toney, Duran and Jones are great defensive fighters that are much more offensive minded than Hopkins and Floyd (particularly at an older age).

I give a lot more credit to offensive minded fighters that have good defense than defensive first fighters that are more conservative in their work rate.
                    The thing is I wouldn't even bring up Hopkins because in his prime, during his MW reign, he was far more offensive minded. I don't even think it's fair to say Mayweather either, a prime Mayweather let his hands go a lot more, was far more explosive, may have not been as offensive minded as the names you mentioned but he made it count.

I'll leave it at this, one can't talk greatest defensive fighters without mentioning offense and Mayweather's offense...well it isn't lacking, neither was Hopkins who can fight in the pocket better than Floyd IMO. So in short, these guys had every punch in their weaponry, can fight from all distances and can pull the trigger in almost any given situation.
                    Last edited by Doctor_Tenma; 07-16-2015, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tjones1989 View Post
                      Who on floyds resume is the equal of a julio cesar Chavez?
                      After September, Berto. You wait...

Comment

Working...
                      X