Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's the better defensive fighter Floyd Mayweather Jr. or Pernell Whitaker?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know. They are different fighters that used different tactics and fought different opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by Xi_ View Post
      the question was about being a better defensive fighter......hopkins IS a better defensive fighter than roy jones and it's not even close.
      Yeah but he thinks defensively and rarely throws combinations anymore. Roy would make you miss and throw punches in bunches.

Roberto Duran to me was one of the great defensive fighters because he was defensively responsible while being offensive minded. I guess you can say the same as Whitaker because he also stood in the pocket longer, out punches together and was throwing while moving.

Some fighters think defensively and look to counter with lightning fast single shots while others use their defense to set up a more potent offensive attack. Some rely on their feet while others rely more on head and upper body movement.

They are all different, they are all ATGs. The fighters that look to be more offensive will obviously get hit more often.

Comment

I'm going Whitaker..

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
          Yeah but he thinks defensively and rarely throws combinations anymore. Roy would make you miss and throw punches in bunches.

Roberto Duran to me was one of the great defensive fighters because he was defensively responsible while being offensive minded. I guess you can say the same as Whitaker because he also stood in the pocket longer, out punches together and was throwing while moving.

Some fighters think defensively and look to counter with lightning fast single shots while others use their defense to set up a more potent offensive attack. Some rely on their feet while others rely more on head and upper body movement.

They are all different, they are all ATGs. The fighters that look to be more offensive will obviously get hit more often.
          Good post..

Comment

i think it's floyd mayweather.

defense and counterpunching is what he does. he's the best defensive fighter i've ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
              But yet in his prime, you couldn't hit him. Funny thing isn't it? Only fighter in compubox history to fight a round in a championship fight without having a single punch landed on him.

Its apples and oranges, you have the Roy's and Pernell's that could do things all wrong if they wanted and you still couldn't lay a glove on them, and then you have the Nards, and Floyds that do things text book perfect.

Is one really better than the other? If you can't hit a guy you cant hit a guy.
              well it's obvious to me who's defense is better because one style lasts longer than the other. one might be more aesthetic to some people but that's not the question.

Comment

Prime tyson had great defense too that hardly gets mentioned, because he was known for his offense

Comment

hopkins and floyd defensive style allowed them to last in the sport for years after their primes. how the hell can anyone argue that roy jones and whitaker have better defense? this isn't rocket science.

Comment

Sweatpea's defensive style was more pleasing to the eye and took more skill in my opinion. He would make his opponents miss 3-4 punch combos all the while standing right in front of them without even moving his feet.

Floyds defense is no question extremely effective, but it doesn't have the finesse that sweat pea had. Floyd has excellent reflexes but also resorts to clinching and evading in order to avoid taking punches.

Comment

Originally posted by Xi_ View Post
                      hopkins and floyd defensive style allowed them to last in the sport for years after their primes. how the hell can anyone argue that roy jones and whitaker have better defense? this isn't rocket science.

pernell whitaker used drugs. saying that his style is the only cause of his deterioration isn't fair.

jones went up to HW and came back down to 175 lbs where he was knocked out twice, and brutally. again, it's not fair to forget that this happened.

Comment

Working...
                      X