Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's the better defensive fighter Floyd Mayweather Jr. or Pernell Whitaker?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's see if you call holding and running defense than Floyd but if you call slipping ducking and blocking defense than Whitaker I'll go with Whitaker

Comment

Originally posted by Kagami Taiga View Post
      I honestly think it's floyd. Before it was a more even battle and Pernell might have the better wins but floyd has done it for longer and across more weight classes and he's come out with much less wear and tear and without being hurt as much.
      Whitaker fought every 4 to 6 months not once a year. Whitaker didn't juice like Floyd. Whitakers downfall was crack cocaine not eating punches. Whitaker fought. Young Delahoya which many thought he won Floyd fought a wash up Delahoya which some thought he lost but he barley sleeked by a wash up Delahoya

Comment

I change my mind about the answer to this question daily. I voted Floyd today.

Originally posted by Cruisin' View Post
        I guess ask yourself if Whitaker would absorb 75% of Maidana's punches for the first 6 rounds they fought

What was Sweet Pea doing when he was 37?

Comment

Sweet Pea and it's not really close. Floyd is arguably a better offensive fighter when he chooses to let his hands go, but Sweet Pea is up there with Locche, Prince Naseem, Burley, and James Toney, Floyd a tier below with RJJ and Rigo. I will always rate the fighters who's defense relies considerably on athleticism below the most gifted fighters who don't rely on the athleticism to be elite defensively.

Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
          I change my mind about the answer to this question daily. I voted Floyd today.

What was Sweet Pea doing when he was 37?
          Doesn't really matter, longevity is a factor in comparing ATG resumes but fighters age differently, and Floyd has been protected at times and hasn't faced all possible opposition, and that's coming from a Floyd fan. Oscar isn't fighting anymore either but he was also a great defensive fighter and fighter overall. Salvador Sanchez had a short career but that doesn't affect who he was in his active prime.
          Last edited by LoadedWraps; 07-15-2015, 11:40 PM.

Comment

According to compubox its actually Floyd. But I wont go by them. I'll go with the gy who fought more fights, won more fights, beat more champions and did so without ever getting dropped on his ass. So my pick is Floyd.

And LOL at the people comparing old Floyd to prime Whitaker as if thats an accurate measure of who the better defensive fighter is.

Comment

Both really great, hard to separate them

My pick is Whitaker because his defence often left both hands free to counter and he was more offensive minded.

Comment

Originally posted by Xi_ View Post
                Floyd is 38 and at the top of the sport still..... How the fuk can anyone with a brain think that Whitaker has better defense?
                Hopkins was 40 something and still at the top of his sport, how could anyone with a brain think that Roy Jones Jr was better than him in his prime?

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
                  Sweet Pea and it's not really close. Floyd is arguably a better offensive fighter when he chooses to let his hands go, but Sweet Pea is up there with Locche, Prince Naseem, Burley, and James Toney, Floyd a tier below with RJJ and Rigo. I will always rate the fighters who's defense relies considerably on athleticism below the most gifted fighters who don't rely on the athleticism to be elite defensively.

Doesn't really matter, longevity is a factor in comparing ATG resumes but fighters age differently, and Floyd has been protected at times and hasn't faced all possible opposition, and that's coming from a Floyd fan. Oscar isn't fighting anymore either but he was also a great defensive fighter and fighter overall. Salvador Sanchez had a short career but that doesn't affect who he was in his active prime.
                  How is age irrelevant when he's bringing up a Floyd fight at 37? Are we saying he's still in his prime, or was during that fight?

Comment

Whitaker fought better fighters at their best

Didnt need his legs as much

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post

How do you know about Charley Burley's defence? Break it down to me.

What fights of his have you seen?

And did you really just put Prince Naseem in the top tier of defence? Followed by saying "I always rate guys who rely on athleticism below guys who don't rely on gifts" ? How can you possibly say that with a straight face when you have Prince Naseem in there?

How did Pernell Whitaker not rely on his athleticism and gifts?

Comment

Working...
                      X