No announcement yet.

Brain Damage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brain Damage

Hey guys looking to enter the boxing scene. A big topic that is talked about whenever boxing is mentioned is brain damage. I understand there is always a chance and a risk of it when in boxing but i mean how much is it? I know there going to be many factors that can come in play (Amount of fights, hits taken, etc...) But i feel as if the risk has gone down over the years. I feel like boxers now a days are so much more defensive than the ones from i dont know say 30 years ago. Whenever you search up brain injuries from boxing the majority of the people mentioned are all from back in the day. Feel free to share your thoughts and give me a better understanding. Thank you

Mosley, Taylor are the most recent inductees. It's not only limited to guys from back in the day.

Comment

i know like i said i know its not limited, im just saying it seems the chances are far lwoer from the way fighters are trained now a days

Comment

Jake Lamotta is in his 90s and doing standup comedy. I think perhaps genetics play a bigger role in it than we understand.

Comment

It's just as common nowadays really

Magomed Abdusalamov (just regained the ability to speak but is still paralyzed)
          Jermain Taylor (knocked literally insane)
          Bradyon Smith died a couple months ago of brain injuries

Who was that boxer who collapsed in his corner a while back on TV? He never recovered and died recently too
          Last edited by ////; 06-01-2015, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nerd slapper View Post
            It's just as common nowadays really

Magomed Abdusalamov (just regained the ability to speak but is still paralyzed)
            Jermain Taylor (knocked literally insane)
            Bradyon Smith died a couple months ago of brain injuries

Who was that boxer who collapsed in his corner a while back on TV? He never recovered and died recently too
            Oscar something right?

Comment

It was Oscar Diaz, he went into a coma in 2008 and never completely recovered, died this year

Comment

It's going to happen. If you play the game you accept the terms. I stopped sparring because I was concerned about it. After hard sparring I would leave the gym with a mental haze and it made it hard to focus at work. No one can tell you the level of damage you will take butdon't ever fool yourself into thinking you don't incur a degree of brain damage.

The "nowadays" argument is wildly ignorant. Tell your opponentthat he's not supposed to hurt you because these are modern times.

Comment

I'm sorry to say that incorrect, in recent times boxing has more deaths than any other sport. I think 250 people a year die from ring inflicted injuries, it is one of the most dangerous sports and as people say "you don't play boxing" and as a result its important to ensure that there are competent officials and referees as well as doctors. In some places like Russia, the doctors are terrible and deaths have occured due to delayed treatment.

I think Kovalev and Mike Perez have also been involved in such traumatic experiences and Perez still hasn't fully recovered.

Comment

you mean to tell me that there's brain damage in a sport that literally scores a round based on the effectiveness of punches, or awards a winner when an opponent can't stand for 10 seconds?

Comment

Working...
                    X