Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hugging, holding, headlocks, pushing is destroying boxing.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's all in the game yo, all in the game

Comment

A fighter nearing 40 is finding ways to compensate for his slippage, cry me a river

Comment

Agree 100%. I'd be anti-all of these things. Give boxers warnings & eventually you lose points if you do them. I think it'd make for more action fights, more KO's & give us more fight time as the ref would be less involved in breaking guys up & all that silliness. Holding & infighting is highly overrated to me. Sometimes you can get some fun fights with that going on, but usually all that nonsense just makes it harder for fans to see an entertaining fight.

Plus agree with the guy who said get in the cage if you wanna grapple and all that ****.

Comment

Here's what I would do: 2 clinches per round, 1st 3rd clinch in a round results in a verbal warning from the ref, every other 3rd clinch per round results in a point deduction. This would make boxing more fluid and fan friendly IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
            It's all in the game yo, all in the game
            All in the MMA game.............................................y o.

Comment

Ok but you have to admit that the lack of inside skills of a lot of fighters allows this to happen. I don't want to see spoiling tactics as to avoid 'the fight' either, but I also don't like to see fighters sit there silently agreeing to it because they don't know what the hell to do, or are out of shape and like the breathers, etc.

There are some very good inside fighters who are hard to clinch, can keep hands free, can take an angle, change their defense, change levels.. and become entirely different fighters in that range..they might even institutue a clinch themselves in order to release themselves to create space to fire. Those skills have eroded due to the past 25 years AM scoring system, it's not the goons behind the scenes causing this

Comment

Originally posted by LA_2_Vegas View Post
                Ok but you have to admit that the lack of inside skills of a lot of fighters allows this to happen. I don't want to see spoiling tactics as to avoid 'the fight' either, but I also don't like to see fighters sit there silently agreeing to it because they don't know what the hell to do, or are out of shape and like the breathers, etc.

There are some very good inside fighters who are hard to clinch, can keep hands free, can take an angle, change their defense, change levels.. and become entirely different fighters in that range..they might even institutue a clinch themselves in order to release themselves to create space to fire. Those skills have eroded due to the past 25 years AM scoring system, it's not the goons behind the scenes causing this
                No we don't. Even if you are Roberto Duran you will get tied up if your opponent wants to. That is an excuse for those who like to clinch.

When I spar some young kid who is really good and hurting me, I clinch and we (my opponent and those watching) laugh about it. It is a survival, scared to get hit move.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazylegs77 View Post
                  Good post. Its becoming worse. To add insult to injury last night Algieri was warned for the holding..stop putting your head down under Khans arm. Remember Khan vs Collazo? Holding galore, ref ignored it. This is the problem. Refs need to ENFORCE the rules FAIRLY and the same for all fighters. Not discriminate... well we cant allow infighting for fighter A however fighter B will be allowed to excessively clinch. Its a contradiction to call a fighter great who uses these tactics. If the fighter was great they wouldnt need to clinch as a gameplan..but usually the refs turn a blind eye to it..so thats the root cause.
                  Agree. Fighters won't get away with the hugging if not allowed to.

Comment

Still relevant now more than ever.

Comment

Dirty boxing is apart of the sport, thing is some complain about it and then when its used by their fighter or to beat a fighter they hate they love it. When fighters go overboard its very annoying but here n there its a taught art. choking, excess laying on, head locks, etc
                      Last edited by uppercut510; 03-05-2020, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X