Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any real boxing fans on here that aren't race supporters or am I the only one?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a style preference but that's it, no bias here.

Comment

Originally posted by mortal7 View Post
      Seems like this forum is majority pro-black, pro-mexican, pro-Puerto Rican, etc. You have posters who claim they are not but sure enough you see them defending anything that involves their race. Am I the only one who doesn't support their own race and actually love the sport of boxing? Let's have a legit discussion and not make this a race vs race thread please.
      Far from being the only one .....

It is a natural process to support one's race in any endeavour. However, when that process involves degrading, demeaning other races as a means to elevate one's own race, then it becomes a form and source of contention. If the only way one race can be elevated above others is by devious means, then it isn't a sign of superiority, its manipulative exploitation of a situation.

Bringing it home to boxing, one could find ample evidence of the advances some races have over others -- Is it genetics? Or is it the training and shared knowledge passed down over ages? This is a source of debate, since there have been discussions where genetics\DNA were introduced to support the natural physical ability of one race over another. Whether valid or not, it has been taken out of context in many instances, and used to support a warped mentality's point of view.

Sadly, race has a place in sports, more in the negative, than the positive. Going back to the natural inclinations of every individual, it can be understood where the motivations originate. But the fault lies in the educational system, and tribal mentality shared by all. We want our guys to win and sometimes by any means necessary. This is an example of when identifying with one's particular heritage becomes a source of pride, rather than fairness in competition.

Therefore, it can be stated confidently, that some are incapable of separating race from the equation. Because it has become more than a competitive sport in their eyes. It has become both a source of pride and a real-world example of their heritage's superiority over others. How can they give that up? When it is a major source in many cases, of self-worth.

Still and in spite of natural tendencies, there are a few that transcend group mentalities for the sake of the whole -- And the spirit of competition. These persons are better positioned to enjoy the competition for what it really is, and are less likely to leave sour, when their guy get's sparked or dominated.

The converse of that is when one is observing the competitive event through rose-colored glasses. And views every little negative nuance as another unfair action against the race on a whole. These individuals aren't in a position to appreciate the competitive nature of the sporting event. They are driven by natural pride only, and cannot help but view the outcome, when it is contrary to their wish as some form of foul-play or cheating. They will never enjoy the sport for what it is meant to be. And when their guy loses, they are also doomed to walk away sour and extremely disappointed. Because it is viewed as a group failure and as a consequence, their source of self-worth has also become damaged as well.

In summary: It is a sickness, when one cannot separate nationality from the essence of competition. And there are unrealized consequences to adopting that mind-set.

Comment

The tribalism is a bit silly and I just root for fighters I like to watch but its understandable why it happens because its not a team sport and people just create ways to identify with a fighter.

Comment

Nothing wrong with supporting your own at all. Just don't like the Racism and Ignorance it brings out of some people to the point in which they can't even give credit to those that are not their color or from their part of the world

I have respect for ALL FIGHTERS regardless of their style or what ever and I always trying to discuss boxing with out being bias but you're right it is really not many if any on this forum any more that can do it without getting into the childish exchange and without responding to the TROLLS who come and disrupt a great conversation about boxing just for the attention

I'm American, yes I root for American Fighters...DURING THE OLYMPICS but as for Pro Boxing, Nationalism is not Required. Despite being American I'm a HUGE FAN of Cuban Boxers because I think they're trained Properly when it comes to being taught true BOXING SKILLS so I like Rigondeaux, Lara and most of the Cuban Fighters. I like and Prefer Skilled Boxing but I try to be respectful of ALL STYLES!
          Last edited by sicko; 04-24-2015, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan7819 View Post
            I'm not black and my favorite fighters are Leonard and Ali.

thats racist bro, i detect a joyfull tone when i read that. not calling anyone out doe, just sayin.

Comment

This is an individual sport, not a team sport

Comment

The posters who you can identify by race are the absolute worst.

Comment

Fan is the abbreviation of fanatics so that explains why some are so rabid in defending their fighters.

Comment

Depends on the person, If the person is from my country and he isn't a very likeable person then I wont root for him.
                    It has nothing to do with his skin colour but more to do with -
                    A, how entertaining is he to watch fight
                    B, do I like the fighter as a person

That's my way of picking.

Comment

i hate some of these racist posters like brushmyhair and prettyboy etc. They bring the forum down

Comment

Working...
                      X