No announcement yet.

Al Haymon's Venture ship has started to sink

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
    This guy is in love with all the bells and whistles and mentions nothing about the actual fighting itself. Fake ass boxing fan.

HBO doesn't even show the ring card girls. Why don't you make 100 posts bashing them?
    Because hbo has Jim lampley!! And kellerman with his terrible puns!!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Ninth Layer View Post
      I think there's a world of difference between hating on something and pointing out its shortcomings. FREE BOXING ON NETWORK TV!!! or not, I'm within my right to complain about what I see as problems with the presentation of our sport and so can anyone else, without being a racist or hater or wanting Haymon to fail or whatever the OP is being accused of.

The biggest problem that I have with PBC is that it's clearly not aimed at knowledgeable boxing fans. The people posting on this website are not its targeted audience. This is why things like championship titles go unmentioned. Other fighters in the divisions where these guys are fighting are unmentioned. Fighters aren't asked what is next for them or who they would like to fight. None of that is part of the product being presented to fans.

**SNIP**
      One could argue that all sports, when attempting to expand and attract new fans, does the same thing.

A few years ago, when NASCAR made it's big mainstream push, they didn't spend a lot of time 'teaching' those new fans the history of the sport nor explaining the various levels. They just put fast cars on TV with a ton of flashy graphics and sold them hell out of the individual drivers and their backstories.

This angered tons of old school NASCAR fans. But eventually, through time, some of those casuals have gotten up to speed and are now a permanent part of the NASCAR 'hardcore' fanbase.

In the 80s, when the NBA Finals were being shown on tape delay because the ratings were so poor, they hitched the entire sport to the Magic/Bird rivalry, history and education of the sport be damned. Those sold 'Jordan vs. Barkley' or 'Ewing vs Olajuwon' individual matchups instead of 'Bulls vs. 76ers' or 'Knicks vs Rockets'.

This angered tons of old school NBA fans. But eventually, through time, some of those casuals have gotten up to speed and are now a permanent part of the NBA/basketball hardcore fanbase.

There are numerous examples (look at college football ditching dayum near 100 years of bowl tradition) IMO, the goal is to just get as many new eyeballs on the sport as possible.

As 'knowledgeable boxing fans', one could argue it is OUR responsibility to convert those new eyes into long term fans. We have to sit with casuals and explain some of history, rivals, belts, context, etc. We have to 'teach' the sport, ***** and all, and not just expect showing ring girls and fancy ring entrances (the Barcham model) to keep people interested.

Just my thoughts.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        This guy is in love with all the bells and whistles and mentions nothing about the actual fighting itself. Fake ass boxing fan.

HBO doesn't even show the ring card girls. Why don't you make 100 posts bashing them?
        If I just considered the fights themselves, PBC would be running behind FNF in quality. All I have seen so far is mismatches. Nothing that I would make sure to stay home to watch.

And yeah, I happen to like the whole entertainment side of boxing. Just as I do with all sports. I enjoy a quality half time studio show or the between periods banter during a NHL broadcast. I am a FAN. If all I want to see was a fight, I could go to a local bar and watch drunks punch each other out. PBC is just an empty shell to this point. If you are happy with that, then you are easy to please. Good for you and I hope you enjoy the show. I have higher standards.

Originally posted by Sweet Jones View Post
        One could argue that all sports, when attempting to expand and attract new fans, does the same thing.

A few years ago, when NASCAR made it's big mainstream push, they didn't spend a lot of time 'teaching' those new fans the history of the sport nor explaining the various levels. They just put fast cars on TV with a ton of flashy graphics and sold them hell out of the individual drivers and their backstories.

This angered tons of old school NASCAR fans. But eventually, through time, some of those casuals have gotten up to speed and are now a permanent part of the NASCAR 'hardcore' fanbase.

In the 80s, when the NBA Finals were being shown on tape delay because the ratings were so poor, they hitched the entire sport to the Magic/Bird rivalry, history and education of the sport be damned. Those sold 'Jordan vs. Barkley' or 'Ewing vs Olajuwon' individual matchups instead of 'Bulls vs. 76ers' or 'Knicks vs Rockets'.

This angered tons of old school NBA fans. But eventually, through time, some of those casuals have gotten up to speed and are now a permanent part of the NBA/basketball hardcore fanbase.

There are numerous examples (look at college football ditching dayum near 100 years of bowl tradition) IMO, the goal is to just get as many new eyeballs on the sport as possible.

As 'knowledgeable boxing fans', one could argue it is OUR responsibility to convert those new eyes into long term fans. We have to sit with casuals and explain some of history, rivals, belts, context, etc. We have to 'teach' the sport, ***** and all, and not just expect showing ring girls and fancy ring entrances (the Barcham model) to keep people interested.

Just my thoughts.
        I don't think anyone needs to have boxing explained to them. It's not hockey with all the intricacies and a tiny puck that is difficult for some to follow. It's not like MLB with the various signals to pick up on or football with intricate running plays. It's two guys in a ring trying to beat the crap out of each other. That's the way casual fans look at it and that is what they want to see. They don't care about the defensive strategies or clinching or various other things that can make a fight dull and boring for a casual fan to watch. They want knock outs, they want blood on the mat. They want to see a show.

As for the history and rivals and belts and so on... Haymon has no interest in presenting that aspect of the sport. If he has his way, that will all be swept away and forgotten and he will build his own titles and history. You will see none of that on a PBC telecast.

Great comparison with NASCAR, though. The left turner fans are exactly the kind Haymon is looking for. Easily impressed and convinced to accept a low quality product. I much prefer Formula 1, the ultimate class of racing. But even NASCAR has one thing that is sorely missing from PBC shows, excitement.

Comment

• People in here talking like they've never seen mismatches on HBO or Showtime

Most of the PBC fights are good on paper. Guys who have faced other top guys fighting each other. Then you're upset that a skilled guy finds a way to win unanimously and think it was a mismatch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabagool View Post
            white people rea;lly hate haymon lol
            don't worry hayman earned it. nobody likes bob arum either

Comment

• Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
              People in here talking like they've never seen mismatches on HBO or Showtime

Most of the PBC fights are good on paper. Guys who have faced other top guys fighting each other. Then you're upset that a skilled guy finds a way to win unanimously and think it was a mismatch.
              Exactly. You can't make great fights. You can matchup guys who you think could make a great fight, but then its on the fighters. I'm sure by years end there will be two or three PBC fights that'll have been FOTY caliber fights & some will have changed their opinion on this entire idea just based on that.

You guys doom daying the hell outta PBC don't understand this is no fly by night operation. There is a plan in place thats surely been months if not a year or two in the making & is being implemented over AT LEAST a 2-4 year period it would seem. You naysayers would be saying 90% of ideas that would go onto make money would fail after looking at it for a mere 1 month like you are doing here. Give PBC some chance to grab a few more wins & to prosper a little bit ffs.

Comment

• I bet Stevenson made more money pimping then haymon made so far on this series

Comment

• Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
                  Because hbo has Jim lampley!! And kellerman with his terrible puns!!
                  They hate the guy that kept saying "Ohhhhh!"

The love the guy that goes "**** **** ****!"

Go figure

Comment

• Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
                    Arum has set up his TruTV deal though hasn't he? so I guess he sees some value in what Haymon is trying.

Boxing could be much bigger in the UK if it returned to the BBC/ITV which is basically what is happening in the US with NBC/CBS.

If it works for Haymon it could be good for boxing in the UK.
                    Good point but Sky has ruined boxing. Sky gets everything these days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
                      Arum has set up his TruTV deal though hasn't he? so I guess he sees some value in what Haymon is trying.
                      Well the difference here is if I'm not mistaken is that TruTV is actually paying Arum to host fights whereas Haymon is coming out of pocket to pay the networks to host his.

Comment

Working...
                      X