Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who had the easier route to a HW world title: Deontay Wilder or David Haye?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Weltschmerz- View Post
    Haye avoided Vitali and fought Valuev, so gotta go with Davey. Wilder is just an all round more legit champion, and won the more prestigious title too.

Where is Davey btw, I thought he was to make a big comeback announcement this year.

I guess he is busy spending time with his boyfriend LacedUp instead
    Pretty sure Haye has joined/is joining Al Haymon, so I wouldn't rule out a comeback this year. That said, he promised a comeback last October, and, before that, promised to retire at 31.

Where is LacedUp, btw? I haven't seen him around NSB for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by -Weltschmerz- View Post
      won the more prestigious title too.
      I dunno where this idea of one of the belts being more "prestigious" by name alone comes from. If "prestige" comes from a belt held by a fat lazy bastard then it's prestigious. There's zero "prestige" in the WBC belt right at this minute.

As for the question, it's hard. Haye effectively fought just one heavyweight bout before getting a shot at the title. Okay, they factored in that he was the CW champ, but even if it was just a single fight against an aged Monte Barrett, I'd STILL think twice when putting that up against The Batty Windmiller's 32 "opponents".

Let's make no bones about it... Wilder's resume is utter dog****.

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
        at counting crusiserweight fights as an accomplishment in the heavyweight divison. What a joke. I remember people claimed Wladimir was ducking Haye before he had a single fight at hw. Then those same people wrote off the Klit win because Haye was "inexperienced" at that weight. My goodness that's laughable.

Anyway, I pick Haye because while Stiverne had a title and Wilder fought bum, Wladimir was still recognized as the top fighter in the division. Haye has less fights at that weight and got a shot at the better opponent.
        Haye's CW career contributed to him getting a title shot like whenever another champion moves up a division. So of course they should count.

Comment

David Haye did not have an easy route to a HW title at all!

The guy was a stellar Cruiserweight champion first and then stepped up. Haye cannot be expected to have to fight a careers worth of heavies when he's already fought a career full at cruiser!

All the past time heavies fought most (60's and before) or half (70's) there career's at cruiser to put it in perspective.

The few guys he whacked around prior to his title fight were on the level with if not better than the faded champs and Malik Scott which Deontay took nearly a qtr century to reach the level of.

His title fight vs Valuev was a far greater test then the Bermane Stiverne that Haye wrested the title from.

That wraps it up.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
            I dunno where this idea of one of the belts being more "prestigious" by name alone comes from. If "prestige" comes from a belt held by a fat lazy bastard then it's prestigious. There's zero "prestige" in the WBC belt right at this minute.

As for the question, it's hard. Haye effectively fought just one heavyweight bout before getting a shot at the title. Okay, they factored in that he was the CW champ, but even if it was just a single fight against an aged Monte Barrett, I'd STILL think twice when putting that up against The Batty Windmiller's 32 "opponents".

Let's make no bones about it... Wilder's resume is utter dog****.
            Wilder's best win could be Liakovich who was a former HW Champ that beat Brewster to get the belt.

Haye's only had one bout as you stated against Barrett who was a good test, but Liakovich given he was a former World champ who beat a legit fighter in Brewster to win his title marginally makes it difficult for Wilder.

Comment

Lol at Liakhovich. He's 3-6 in his last 9 fights. 3 wins against club fighters. In 4 of the losses he was stopped. He was coming off of 2 consecutive stoppage losses against prospects FFS. It actually matters when you fight someone.

Comment

wilder actually has a better resume now then when haye fought wlad and that was a superfight(fake). stirvene is much better than that bum valuev who was schooled by holyfield. they both beat fraudley harrison. haye's other wins were shot monte barret and shot ruiz while i'll take prime scott over those duds.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                  wilder actually has a better resume now then when haye fought wlad and that was a superfight(fake). stirvene is much better than that bum valuev who was schooled by holyfield. they both beat fraudley harrison. haye's other wins were shot monte barret and shot ruiz while i'll take prime scott over those duds.
                  only an idiot calls a world champion a bum. If valuev was a bum then there's basically only about one non bum in the entire division ... and if that's the case why don't you get off your ass and become heavyweight champion?

Comment

Originally posted by yoz View Post
                    Deontay 'The Bronze Bomber' Wilder (33-0, 32KOs)

His path to the WBC world title:

Siarhei Liakhovich (25-5-0)
                    Nicolai Firtha (21-10-1)
                    Malik Scott (36-1-1)
                    Jason Gavern (25-16-4)
                    Bermane Stiverne (24-1-1)*

David 'The Hayemaker' Haye (23-1, 20KOs upon beating Valuev)

His path to the WBA world title:

Tomasz Bonin (37-1-0)
                    Jean Marc Mormeck (33-3-0)**
                    Enzo Maccarinelli (28-1-0)**
                    Monte Barrett (34-6-0)
                    Nikolay Valuev (50-1-0)*

*denotes holder of world title
                    ** cruiserweight world title fight

Haye didn't exactly fight a murderers row of fighters even if you include his cruiserweight wins.

Wilder obviously fought low tier opposition to get his title shot and everyone already knows that.But his heavyweight resume is no worst than Haye's.

Actually it's slightly better.

And unlike Haye, Wilder took advantage of his opportunity.
                    Last edited by joseph5620; 01-19-2015, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yoz View Post
                      Deontay 'The Bronze Bomber' Wilder (33-0, 32KOs)

His path to the WBC world title:

Siarhei Liakhovich (25-5-0)
                      Nicolai Firtha (21-10-1)
                      Malik Scott (36-1-1)
                      Jason Gavern (25-16-4)
                      Bermane Stiverne (24-1-1)*

David 'The Hayemaker' Haye (23-1, 20KOs upon beating Valuev)

His path to the WBA world title:

Tomasz Bonin (37-1-0)
                      Jean Marc Mormeck (33-3-0)**
                      Enzo Maccarinelli (28-1-0)**
                      Monte Barrett (34-6-0)
                      Nikolay Valuev (50-1-0)*

*denotes holder of world title
                      ** cruiserweight world title fight
                      You yourself have pointed out how much of a no contest it is, so why ask the question?

Comment

Working...
                      X