Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Miguel Cotto-Canelo Alvarez Master Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as a huge Cotto fan, I can't confidently select him this fight. Canelo has youth and size. I voted unsure. I think it's 51/49 in Canelo's favor at this point

Comment

Originally posted by WombBat View Post
      To be fair, Cotto-Martinez did worse(i think) than Canelo-Lara. Cotto had the bigger network(HBO) the bigger star(Martinez), was fighting for a title, and was further away from another PPV.

I have to believe Canelo is the bigger star here
      Maybe. You could argue they're about even, and Canelo having his entire career ahead of him suggests he'll become a bigger name than Cotto ever was.

Regardless, even if I feel Cotto is a bigger attraction, they're clearly in the same ballpark. That being the case, Canelo (even if he had an edge in star power) isn't an overwhelmingly bigger star than Cotto where he could dictate the terms to the champion (like Cotto did to Martinez, and Pac/Floyd did to Cotto).

Comment

Originally posted by jorgepichardojr View Post
        What could possibly be the argument for that!?
        Canelo is being groomed to carry the sport on his back for the next 6-7 years. He did 2.2 ppv buys for his floyd fight while cotto only did 1.4 i believe. He's mexican and cotto is puerto rican. Mexico has 100 mill ppl, puerto rico is a small island country, so logic would tell you Canelo has gonna have all the support in the world. He also has a lineup and ill fight em attitude. Taking the Lara fight was risky as hell which he didn't have to take. Cotto fought a 39 yr old coming off 2 knee surgeries. The only reason to give Cotto the A-side at this point in time is purely out of respect, but even that may not be enough.

Comment

Cotto gets wrecked by uppercuts. Not sure how it ends but Cotto gets hurt in this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Assteroid Field View Post
            Maybe. You could argue they're about even, and Canelo having his entire career ahead of him suggests he'll become a bigger name than Cotto ever was.

Regardless, even if I feel Cotto is a bigger attraction, they're clearly in the same ballpark. That being the case, Canelo (even if he had an edge in star power) isn't an overwhelmingly bigger star than Cotto where he could dictate the terms to the champion (like Cotto did to Martinez, and Pac/Floyd did to Cotto).
            They are in a similiar range, but I bet Cotto is the one who is demanding things be a certain way.

That being said, I bet Canelo will accept the terms even though they might be unfavorable.

Canelo legitimately wants to be an all time great, and so sacrificing a few things is necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by El Angel View Post
              Since when do you tell me when I can make threads? I'm higher up on the food chain around here then you I decide when Cotto master threads are made.
              What I mean is that if you want to make the thread, That is fine, Just don't prematurely blow your wad. If the venue continues to hold the fight up, There might not even be a fight. We know damn well that if this fight happens, It will definitely not happen in Texas, and it Most Definitely won't happen at MSG. I predict that if it happens, it will be on PR Pride week, And that it would happen in Vegas. The fight is not happening in May. Mayweather owns those dates and for Canelo and Cotto to claim they deserve those days over Mayweather is absurd. Mayweather beat them. That is how he holds those dates over them. Like I said. The Fight should happen at the United Center. Neutral Site, Check, Big City, Check, Fight is made, Everyone Happy, Check.

Comment

Originally posted by Assteroid Field View Post
                The 2million+ ppvs he sold against floyd.

Funny thing is one would expect Canelo to sell close to a million ppvs after that, but obviously its not the case.

Canelo was groomed for that fight, built up as the latest boogeyman Floyd was afraid of and people bought into the hype for that single match. Naturally, García vs Matthysse on the undercard didn't hurt either.

Clearly, Cotto is the more consistent attraction of the two.
                Those buys weren't because of Canelo, They were because of Mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by BrushMyHair View Post
                  Those buys weren't because of Canelo, They were because of Mayweather.
                  That's kind of what im saying. Floyd probably brought the 1million or so he usually pulls, Canelo could have brought anywhere between 300-500k, then the rest were the casuals buying into the boogeyman hype, or just bought the fight for the sake of having a party at their place (that whole event was a reaaaaalllyyyy mainstream thing).

Comment

Originally posted by juandabomb View Post
                    canelo wins by tko, cotto hasnt beaten a prime,healthy, in shape fighter in a long long time. look at his last 10 fights and you will see how overrated he is. unless they are b level,over the hill, and crippled then you can bet on cotto. losses to manny,floyd,and trout prove one part,beating crippled bad knee martinez,b level rodriguez,2011 mayorga,battered margacheato(thanks manny),and a b level crippled foreman proves the rest
                    HAHAHAHAA pac weight drained him and he was a different style of fighter when floyd and trout fought him HAHAHAHAHAHA

dont forget styles makes fights. He took it easy on foreman imo... Funny how no one says **** about cotto beatin mosley's ass and mosley being leftovers for everyone else. hahahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                      Here is what I think is going to happen:

Cotto gives Canelo a very good, close fight through 5-6 rounds. Fight would be close at the point, 4-2 Canelo, maybe 3-3. But in the 7th round+, Canelo's superior handspeed, power, and brutal combinations will start getting to Cotto. Cotto will start to box more and use his legs for the next 3-4 rounds, losing them all, while Canelo keeps on coming with those vicious body shots and head combos. 11-12th round, Cotto will need a KO to win, or score a couple of KD's each round; Which by then it will be evident that his punches don't connect as well as Canelo's, and the one's that he manages to land don't hurt Canelo as much, but they are respectable and eye-catching to the fans.

Verdict: Canelo will win 8-4 in the eyes of most fans. Scores will look something like 117-111, 116-112 2x for Canelo. Cotto loses handily and is asked by Kellermen if he thinks it's time to retire. Cotto says he'll speak to his family and make a decision, but that he's strongly considering retiring.

Canelo calls out Pacquiao (If Pac beats Algieri). If not, he says he'd fight anybody, and that GGG can get it. Fans burst to cheers at the mere mention of Golovkin's name as an opponent by Canelo.

The End.
                      cool story from your fantasy land. Except, that they said the same thing about canelo and mayweather. hell, even canelo and lara and canelo and trout. Canelo didn't blow any of them away either. Got a HUGE draw gift against floydie, imo and others, he lost to lara (I had the score 7-5 lara) and squeaked by trout. So no, canelo is not a world beater as ya put it.

Comment

Working...
                      X