Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question about Mayweather and other fighters who choose "financial sense" fights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fallen_ego View Post
    What does it do to a fighters legacy when they choose the most popular fighters or "financial sense" fights rather than the hardest fights? Does it hinder how deep their resume could be? For example, Floyd Mayweather usually fights fighters with good fan bases and they are good fighters but they are not stylistically the toughest fights out there. For example, if you look like a guy like Lara who has a small fan base but his style is a tough style to look good against but his style would give Floyd trouble compared to a Canelo or Ortiz. I understand fighters want to get paid and I'm all for it but in your opinion does it effect their resume? I know other fighters do it besides Floyd but I just used Floyd as an example since he is a popular fighter, love him or hate him so this thread wasn't intended to bash Floyd. Thoughts?
    http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=653826

Given the vote in Ring, you can argue Floyd hasn't hurt his legacy at all. On the other hand, maybe he cost himself a spot in the top 5.

Which would you choose-staying high risk, low reward like Floyd was and hope quality opponents fight you to enhance your legacy or Money May like Floyd became?

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
      Every fighter's team chooses fights that make financial sense. Some posters live in this fantasy world where their fighter goes for the high risk low reward fights. A good example right now is GGG. He would move up to 168 for a big money fight with Chavez but his people say no to Ward because supposedly Ward can't sell. He would love to fight Cotto, Canelo, Mayweather but Lara called him out twice and his team said Lara brings nothing to the table.
      But Chavez, Cotto, Canelo & Mayweather are all potentially exciting fights that people would want to see vs GGG. Chavez, despite his inactivity and occassional lack of dedication to the sport, is still a big draw because of his name and punching power. Cotto recently broke a record in winning the MW crown from Martinez. Canelo is a wildly popular Mexican slugger. Mayweather is undefeated. Ward however, is not considered an exciting fighter, and his continued inactivity makes him even less of a draw. Lara is a relative unkown with a heavily defensive Cuban style whom few will drop PPV dollars on.

Comment

The biggest and best fights should still be made. (FMJ vs Pac for example). But we are entering an era where the fighters realize they are entertainers and not just entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
          http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=653826

Given the vote in Ring, you can argue Floyd hasn't hurt his legacy at all. On the other hand, maybe he cost himself a spot in the top 5.

Which would you choose-staying high risk, low reward like Floyd was and hope quality opponents fight you to enhance your legacy or Money May like Floyd became?

The moniker "Money Mayweather" says it all: It's all about the (easy) money for him. Keeping his "0" is right up there too. He couldn't care less about what the fans think of him, as long as they buy his fights. He says he's his own boss, and he'll fight who he wants, when he wants, how he wants. But most (damn near all) of his money comes from paying fans, yet he throws us bones. We never get the steak. Doesn't that chaffe your hide just a little bit?
          Last edited by SUBZER0ED; 10-29-2014, 12:42 PM.

Comment

If it was soley about the money for Mayweather, he would've fought that Filipino midget for $100m

Comment

Originally posted by SUBZER0ED View Post
              [/B]

The moniker "Money Mayweather" says it all: It's all about the money for him. He couldn't care less about what the fans think of him, as long as they buy his fights. He says he's his own boss, and he'll fight who he wants, when he wants, how he wants. But most (damn near all) of his money comes from paying fans, yet he throws us bones. We never get the steak. Doesn't that chaffe your hide just a little bit?
              Was ODH, SHane, Hatton and Canelo the steak? My guess is you mean Manny. If so, there are the real reasons why the fight hasn't happened and the NSB version of why it hasn't happened. It's hard to hold Floyd accountable for Manny's actions. Perhaps that's why Floyd was ranked higher in the poll.

Yes, I am bothered the fight didn't happen. That doesn't negate hi whole career for me. Does it do that for you?

As for the money may persona-it was created to market himself when he was in the high risk/low reward category and big fighters wouldn't fight him. How does calling yourself that change what he did in his career?

Comment

I used to have an easy office job making $30.00 per hour and only working 40 hours per week. My friend is a construction laborer and called me a sissy because I was doing wimpy work. I quit the office job and now I dig ditches making $15.00 per hour working 60 hours per week.

Comment

So basically people are fine with fighters doing it and legacy doesn't matter anymore. How come there isn't a find balance between the toughest fights and the money maker fights? The only fighter i can think of doing it is Canelo with the Lara fight, now targeting Cotto.

Comment

Originally posted by fallen_ego View Post
                    So basically people are fine with fighters doing it and legacy doesn't matter anymore. How come there isn't a find balance between the toughest fights and the money maker fights? The only fighter i can think of doing it is Canelo with the Lara fight, now targeting Cotto.
                    Posters aren't fine with it. Just because a fight is big money doesn't mean it isn't a tough fight or a legacy fight.

Making a fight with someone you wont likely defeat rather than building your career according to plan doesn't enhance your legacy.

Canelo is likely fighting Cotto rather than GGG or Andrade which are considered tougher fights. It would be stupid for Canelo to risk the cotto payday before fighting these fights.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                      Was ODH, SHane, Hatton and Canelo the steak? My guess is you mean Manny. If so, there are the real reasons why the fight hasn't happened and the NSB version of why it hasn't happened. It's hard to hold Floyd accountable for Manny's actions. Perhaps that's why Floyd was ranked higher in the poll.

Yes, I am bothered the fight didn't happen. That doesn't negate hi whole career for me. Does it do that for you?

As for the money may persona-it was created to market himself when he was in the high risk/low reward category and big fighters wouldn't fight him. How does calling yourself that change what he did in his career?
                      ODH was near the end of his career and had to come down in weight. Mosely was shot by the time Mayweather finally fought him (yet "money" still got rocked). He impressed me with how he handled Hatton. You didn't mention it, but I was shocked at how easily he destroyed Corrales. However, Canelo also had to come down, was (is) unproven and green. I've said it before, if Mayweather really wanted to fight Pacquiao, he would have.

I remember the moniker "Money" serving as a blatant statement of his acquired wealth. Remember how he used to throw money on the floor when he first started calling himself that?

We can debate Mayweather forever. Bottom line, he's a very good fighter who's undefeated due in part to him not taking a fight that he could have quite possibly lost. The true best ever shouldn't have to call himself that and hope it catches on. He'd demonstrate it by beating the best.
                      Last edited by SUBZER0ED; 10-29-2014, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X