Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question about Mayweather and other fighters who choose "financial sense" fights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about Mayweather and other fighters who choose "financial sense" fights?

What does it do to a fighters legacy when they choose the most popular fighters or "financial sense" fights rather than the hardest fights? Does it hinder how deep their resume could be? For example, Floyd Mayweather usually fights fighters with good fan bases and they are good fighters but they are not stylistically the toughest fights out there. For example, if you look like a guy like Lara who has a small fan base but his style is a tough style to look good against but his style would give Floyd trouble compared to a Canelo or Ortiz. I understand fighters want to get paid and I'm all for it but in your opinion does it effect their resume? I know other fighters do it besides Floyd but I just used Floyd as an example since he is a popular fighter, love him or hate him so this thread wasn't intended to bash Floyd. Thoughts?

Its called prize fighting for a reason , think about it .

Comment

Like i tell other people, If you want a fight you put yourself into a position where you cant be denied it.

Comment

Every single fighter on the planet take fights for financial sense.

This is their job, how they earn a living. They want to maximise their profits like any other functioning human being.

Comment

Your focusing too much on the financial aspect of the thread. The question is does it affect a fighters resume when it comes to big money fights rather than the hardest fights possible?

Comment

Originally posted by fallen_ego View Post
            Your focusing too much on the financial aspect of the thread. The question is does it affect a fighters resume when it comes to big money fights rather than the hardest fights possible?
            Isn't the premise of the thread that certain fighters fight for financial sense and how does that affect their legacy?

Well ALL fighters fight for financial sense. Every last one.

Comment

boxers don't actually care about making the most money lol. that's just something they say so they won't look like cowards. it's about easy money not the most money. as floyd puts it smart work not hard work. 7 million for margarito or 4 million for sharmba? smart work not hard work. pac for a 100 million or a bunch of crap fighters for 30 million? smart work not hard work.

Comment

I don't think fans care about the "Legacy" aspect anymore. We know the era that we are in is the era where fighters care more about how much they make than what sort of legacy they leave behind and I think most boxing fans have adjust to that mentality. Back in the days the toughest fights means the most money but nowadays the most money fights are necessarily the toughest competitive bout. It's just a fact that boxers are getting more educated than previously, promoters can't make a killing nowadays like they use to back in those days.

Comment

They are a product, usually from a very early age. Its all about them, all they do is train and fight starting from the amateurs. Praised for everything, dont have to work, then as pros invested in by promoters,by then the fighters believe they are great, doesnt matter what fans or public think, as long as they win and get payed thats it. Few fighters actually fight for glory.

Comment

That's what everyone does once you reach that level. It makes sense. It's called paying your dues.

When you're hungry and unknown, you have to prove yourself by taking the tough fights that may not pay the big cash. Everyone, including Mayweather, had to do it. Once you get in a position to call shots, you begin to think of securing your future. Every fighter does it. And the hope is that you can make big fights that secure both your future and your legacy. It's hard to find that right balance but when you speak of a Mayweather, while he hasn't made the Pacquiao fight, he has been able to enhance his legacy and generate major coin with wins like Canelo, Mosley, Marquez, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X