Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a non american be the mega face of boxing?? (AKA GGG)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can definitely see Canelo becoming the face of boxing.... his only loss is to Mayweather, he's got the look not just as in attractiveness, but a red-headed freckled face white Mexican is not something you see every day lol, by default he has appeal. Plus although he may not be as ferocious as GGG (remains to be seen if they fight) but he does pack some firepower enough to put on entertaining fights.

Now if Cotto ends up taking Nelo to school come next month then thats all out the window. I just don't see GGG being the next Pacquiao or Mayweather to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by EdWins View Post
      I can definitely see Canelo becoming the face of boxing.... his only loss is to Mayweather, he's got the look not just as in attractiveness, but a red-headed freckled face white Mexican is not something you see every day lol, by default he has appeal. Plus although he may not be as ferocious as GGG (remains to be seen if they fight) but he does pack some firepower enough to put on entertaining fights.

Now if Cotto ends up taking Nelo to school come next month then thats all out the window. I just don't see GGG being the next Pacquiao or Mayweather to be honest.

Comment

Comparing the chances with Pacquiao is sort of unfair. Others have pointed out the population differences between Pac and GGG and I think that plays a part. Much more Filipinos in the U.S. than Kazakh people and Filipinos are all over the internet to help the hype.

Another factor I think is important is the Philippines had already established some boxing legacy with Flash Elorde, Pancho Villa, and Ceferino Garcia as their great champions. Manny just came and took over that part of their history, a huge accomplishment to surpass those old greats in the sport. Golovkin is the best ever to come out of Kazakhstan then it's Vassiliy Jirov and I don't even know who would be next.

Also Manny's life story is much more exploitable than GGG's life story somewhat in their respective context, Manny has the more cliche Rocky story.

Comment

Originally posted by Richie Ric View Post
          Once May and Pac are gone (can't wait for that to happen) who do we really have left to carry on the sport?? enter GGG....dude seems to have the package except one thing....he is not from the US and A....and his English (although hilarious good boy) is poor at best...I think Manny almost did it but not quite...but if he keeps demolishing even the top kats in the sport...he will be the guy....

what does that mean for the future of boxing??

Wachugot?
          No, not GGG.

Now Anthony Joshua? Tyson Fury? Yeah, they both have a great chance if they get big wins under their belts. Heck ,if Tyson Fury becomes THE heavyweight champ, he will automatically become one of the most marketable men in the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
            No, not GGG.

Now Anthony Joshua? Tyson Fury? Yeah, they both have a great chance if they get big wins under their belts. Heck ,if Tyson Fury becomes THE heavyweight champ, he will automatically become one of the most marketable men in the sport.

Comment

Working...
            X