No announcement yet.

Hearn should get Joshua these guys next

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PainfromUkraine View Post
    Yeah, but that's the issue...the only guys that are really capable of that are top ranked and won't risk fighting someone like AJ.

And then again the argument would be, maybe pushing him too much too soon.
    Joshua is pretty much a contender now, the levels in the heavyweight division aren't so well defined. I'm not suggesting he go with someone like Pulev but I don't want to see him fighting Bakhtov type opponents for the next few fights.

Most of the fighters you suggested would suffice.

Being pushed too early is better than too late to be honest, I don't want to see him developing any lazy habits.

Comment

Apparently Hearn wants to make Joshua against the Fury-Chisora winner.

I don't think he's ready for those guys yet.

Comment

Joshua should still be fighting the likes of Vinny Maddalone, Nagy Aguilera, and Dominick Guinn.

Trying to fight really good guys like Ustinov or highly ranked guys can wait a few years. Heavyweights hit their prime later in the 20s, no need to rush.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
          Joshua is pretty much a contender now, the levels in the heavyweight division aren't so well defined. I'm not suggesting he go with someone like Pulev but I don't want to see him fighting Bakhtov type opponents for the next few fights.

Most of the fighters you suggested would suffice.

Being pushed too early is better than too late to be honest, I don't want to see him developing any lazy habits.
          I agree man, I'm all for quick progression...it keeps the division and the fighter more relevant if they are the real deal...and the way AJ is moving forward, it would be ****** to stagnate his progress by stalling on lesser opponents who do nothing for him. I see him being a true contender around the 15 fight mark, so let's see him beat a few of these guys impressively.

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          Apparently Hearn wants to make Joshua against the Fury-Chisora winner.

I don't think he's ready for those guys yet.
          Probably not yet, but it's not an ability issue...I think he is much more of a natural athlete than those two and has more skills and power, but he is still an unknown in terms of stamina and chin, so we have to see those issues addressed before throwing him in with solid, tested contenders.

Originally posted by paulf View Post
          Joshua should still be fighting the likes of Vinny Maddalone, Nagy Aguilera, and Dominick Guinn.

Trying to fight really good guys like Ustinov or highly ranked guys can wait a few years. Heavyweights hit their prime later in the 20s, no need to rush.
          That sounds distinctly like a Wilder type of progression...why build up a record and waste time on bums? If you have a wave of popularity and you are progressing on an upward curve, you have to get better opposition and raise the stakes, to keep motivated more than anything else. Knocking over guys like this wouldn't do much. The issue is that AJ has much more popularity and is far better known than someone like Wilder was after 9 fights...so he doesn't need to go on a 30 bum streak in order to become relevant.

Comment

I have no problems with AJ fighting anyone of those guys. It's a solid list.

But I would give him a couple of fights against a slightly lower level first. After 13-15 fights, those guys should be on his mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
              Toney has never been stopped... and can give anyone rounds..

wilder and joshua need to get rounds, and if they stopped toney, it would be the best achievement of their young careers
              I never said he'd been stopped. Listen to the dude talk man, he doesn't need to get punched in the head anymore

Comment

Originally posted by CLUNG3-TANK View Post
                I never said he'd been stopped. Listen to the dude talk man, he doesn't need to get punched in the head anymore
                You could say the same thing 15 years ago !

Comment

Originally posted by PainfromUkraine View Post

That sounds distinctly like a Wilder type of progression...why build up a record and waste time on bums? If you have a wave of popularity and you are progressing on an upward curve, you have to get better opposition and raise the stakes, to keep motivated more than anything else. Knocking over guys like this wouldn't do much. The issue is that AJ has much more popularity and is far better known than someone like Wilder was after 9 fights...so he doesn't need to go on a 30 bum streak in order to become relevant.
                  If you think Maddalone, Aguilera, and Guinn are bums, then you should stop posting about boxing. These guys are tough gatekeepers; they only lose to good fighters, and their existence is very important to the sport.

They'll give a young fighter rounds and check him with a few good shots along the way.

And for the record, Wilder has fought none of those guys, although he damn well should have before even thinking about a title shot.

Comment

If you think Maddalone, Aguilera, and Guinn are bums, then you should stop posting about boxing. These guys are tough gatekeepers; they only lose to good fighters, and their existence is very important to the sport.

They'll give a young fighter rounds and check him with a few good shots along the way.

And for the record, Wilder has fought none of those guys, although he damn well should have before even thinking about a title shot.
                    Alright, I'll admit I was a bit harsh to call those particular guys bums - my point was more generalised and not focused on those guys. BUT, although I do take your point about gatekeepers, these guys aren't too much better than guys like Bakhtov (on paper), just that they are U.S based. Personally I just don't see too much point in fighting those guys, but in likelihood it is the regular path for promising heavies to fight a lot of these gatekeepers to get experience.
                    Last edited by PainfromUkraine; 10-12-2014, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Excellent choices... Guinn Nagy and Vinny are the exact dudes Joshua should be fighting in 2015

Comment

Working...
                      X