Demetrius Andrade On Turning Down Matt Korobov & Kirkland Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
    Depends what he was offered. There are bigger fights at 154
    Yeah, but Andrade keeps complaining that he can't get them.

In fact AFAIK he hasn't got anything lined up at all, beyond hints at a Kirkland fight (which I don't see getting made). Of course there's no need for him to move up, but with nothing else on the horizon why not take a shot when a title fight comes knocking? Better than remaining inactive IMO. Even if he lost, he'd still have his 154 strap to fall back on.

Ain't got a problem with him whatever he decides to do, but opportunities like that don't just drop in a guys lap every day of the week. And he has been complaining that no-one will fight him.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post

In fact AFAIK he hasn't got anything lined up at all, beyond hints at a Kirkland fight (which I don't see getting made). Of course there's no need for him to move up, but with nothing else on the horizon why not take a shot when a title fight comes knocking? Better than remaining inactive IMO. Even if he lost, he'd still have his 154 strap to fall back on.

Ain't got a problem with him whatever he decides to do, but opportunities like that don't just drop in a guys lap every day of the week. And he has been complaining that no-one will fight him.
      ^This.

And what are those "bigger fights" at 154?

The only money fighter there is Canelo, and as we all know, he's fighting Clottey next, and then Cotto at MW in May. And after that, I don't see him returning to 154. If Andrade won a title at 160 (and he won't get a better chance than this), then there would be a chance Canelo might fight him in late 2015 or 2016.

The Korobov fight would be an investment for Andrade, a little calculated risk for a huge reward in the future. But sadly, that's not how fighters operate these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post

Apparently he's very very tight at the weight so if he moves up, he probably wouldn't be able to move back down.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
          Oh wow... Another delusional dude who follows in the footsteps of Winky Wright & Andre Ward. He turned down the fight because he wasn't going to get the Peter Quillin money.....

Demetrius talks he wants to be the best, says he's the best, then turns down opportunities with nothing on the table. Stay nothing man. Go fight on NBC sports next year with Ishe Smith, Lara, Charlo's, and Molina. Too many prima donna's in the sport these days. This guy has proved nothing and expects big money already. Take a note from a guy you criticize in Golovkin. Guy takes short money to build his brand and soon will be the next money maker in the sport.
          its one thing to demand big money, its another to let yourself get taken advantage of. i didnt listen to the interview so idk how much he was offered, but he shouldnt be criticized for not taking any amount of money. this is his job at the end of the day and he is a titleholder, so he isnt nothing as you put it.

fighting korobov doesnt really build his brand either, korobov doesnt have a name and beating him doesnt do much of anything for andrades career. those guys at 154 you mentioned are actually bigger fights against much more recognizable opposition than korobov, so its a smart move for andrade to make those isntead.

i get where you are coming from, but it doesnt apply to this situation. choosing not to take a smaller fight for less money isnt being a primadonna, its just common sense.

Comment

I don't blame him for not taking the fight, but he's conflicted in his reasoning. On one hand, he's saying he needs to be compensated amiably for moving up and taking the fight, wanting something at least close to what Quillin was in line to get.

Then on the other hand, he fully knows that the reason Quillin was scheduled to make $1.4m was because Roc Nation overbid on the fight, and they didn't decide the purse split.

He's an idiot if he thought that:

a. He would command the same purse split Quillin got as the champ when he's not the champ at that division. (The guy making the title defense gets the lion's share, or it's 60-40 in favor of the farther travelling opponent i.e. Russell-Lomachenko)

b. The entire purse amount would be anything close to what Roc Nation bid for Quillin-Korobov.

If he didn't want to move up, fine. He just can't explain to Nes that understood that Roc Nation wouldn't be involved in his match up with Korobov for the vacant 160 and expect the same figures or anything close to be involved when Top Rank and Banner aren't flush with that level of cash

Comment

Andrade is delusional, I use to follow him on twitter and I had to stop, because once a day he would retween the same tweet by some fan, saying that he deserves a shot at Mayweather.

Nobody gives a **** about this guy, people think he's a decent fighter and thats it, he's not marketable, doesn't have many big wins, and fans could care less if they ever see him fight again.

He is legit one the dumbest mother ****ers I have ever heard speak, hbo should just cut ties with him right now.

SMH at this guy turning down any fights that get him hbo. This ish is out of control.

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
                its one thing to demand big money, its another to let yourself get taken advantage of. i didnt listen to the interview so idk how much he was offered, but he shouldnt be criticized for not taking any amount of money. this is his job at the end of the day and he is a titleholder, so he isnt nothing as you put it.

fighting korobov doesnt really build his brand either, korobov doesnt have a name and beating him doesnt do much of anything for andrades career. those guys at 154 you mentioned are actually bigger fights against much more recognizable opposition than korobov, so its a smart move for andrade to make those isntead.

i get where you are coming from, but it doesnt apply to this situation. choosing not to take a smaller fight for less money isnt being a primadonna, its just common sense.
                Is he really being taken advantage of here? He's being paid anywhere from $200k-$300k to fight Vanes & Rose, he was going to get more than that to fight Korobov. He said he need a mill to do this, when Nes brought up Curtis Stevens making about $400 for GGG he said he'd need more than that for this. But look at D's career - one fight vs a top 10 JMW and one more vs a top 25 JMW.

Right now HBO was investing in him giving him that $200k-$300k for Vanes & Rose, he didn't earn that money with any big fights, he doesn't bring ratings or any significant following. Peuello got him a ~three fight deal with HBO, he's going to milk it and take another low key JMW in December for less money than Korobov. Likely he'll fight Baysongurov, who's another tough Russian.

Andrade's been barking, and the chance to make some noise came along and he turned it down with some unreasonable expectations. A victory over Korobov would've brought him up another status level, like when Quillin beat N'Dam. He would've attained bragging rights and territory. His JMW title has a lot less value because he won't get fights with any other top JMW on HBO because those other guys are with Haymon (and D made it clear he's never been Haymon). This is another guy who likes to parade around with celebrities pretending he's a world champ. He said he sees other guys getting big money and that he deserves that too. Smh...

Comment

Whenever I hear about greedy, delusional fighters like this I always hope they end up losing a fight for 10% of what they turned down. Nobody cares about Andrade and there is zero demand to see him. The guy really needs some good advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                    Whenever I hear about greedy, delusional fighters like this I always hope they end up losing a fight for 10% of what they turned down. Nobody cares about Andrade and there is zero demand to see him. The guy really needs some good advice.
                    And if he's begging for fights, wouldn't a chance at a MW belt for his best purse yet be a great opportunity? Didn't he ask for this to begin with?

Someone like Golovkin would be incredulous about such a mindset. He can't even get his mandatory challengers to fight him, let alone other beltholders.

Comment

Ducking, it's the (trend) in boxing atm.

Comment

Working...
                      X