Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else thought that Paul Williams would have beaten Floyd @147?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ADP02 View Post
    The only clink that Williams had was facing southpaws.

Then again, not even Sergio Martinez's moves and power slowed down Williams .... but the power eventually stopped him. BUT Floyd doesn't have Martinez type power. Not even close! So I see Williams showing no respect against someone like Floyd and just out working him for 12 rounds! Floyd just doesn't have a high enough work-rate to win.

Floyd expects you to slow down, respect him, and so on. Williams didn't care and would have an phenomenal work rate throughout the fight.

Floyd's shoulder roll would be a joke against a southpaw that was as tall as Williams. Williams could have easily gone over the shoulder with his right and even easier with his left.

When Williams called Floyd out, Floyd was nowhere to be found
    Thank you. I don't understand why people don't see that either. They act like Williams would be ineffective.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
      I never knew Floyd was a southpaw 5/10 welterweight like Quintana. But the Punisher and Margarito were 2 welterweights I definitely think would have beaten Floyd. Which is why retirement called.

The same can be said about how Maidana gave Floyd fits. 2 bigger welterweights with twice the stamina?? Yeah, easy night for Floyd.
      Except Floyd isnt the same fighter now as he was in 07. He was a lot faster back then, had better foot work/ reflexes and faster feet.
      Last edited by Pugilist95; 09-10-2014, 01:58 AM.

Comment

On a board where Rios won (or it was just really tight?) a fantasy fight poll against Floyd and some people can serisously I mean seriusly, - without kidding can claim that Rios would beat May, it's pretty senseless to make any kind of poll include the name of Floyd or fantasy fights with Floyd. Some people think that everyone who didn't fight with Floyd yet would beat him. If you would make a Jesus Soto Karass VS Mayweather fantasy fight poll there would be a big number of users who would vote for JSK and some of them would seriously try to argue that why Soto Karass would beat Floyd.

Inb4 JSK and Paul Williams are on whole different levels. Of course they are, I just talked about the senslessness of Floyd polls usually on this site.

Comment

It would have been a nightmare for Floyd. Pauls rang and activity level + southpaw would have made it very very hard for Floyd to counter him.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            he really didn't hit very hard at 147. i think he was a total zombie at the weight. it's amazing that his chin was good, and that he threw so many punches, considering how hard it must have been to get to 147.

he might outwork mayweather and win a decision. i still think you have to pick floyd. he was just a better welterweight. i know it's a lame argument to say that, but williams lost to carlos freaking quintana.

mayweather would give up close to half a foot in height, over half a foot in reach, and he'd probably give up at least 10 lbs in the ring, probably more. i still think he wins. he was just a better welterweight.

today's floyd gets outworked, doe. he was on the ropes against marcos freaking maidana. his legs are all done. prime williams would beat 37 year old mayweather up.
            Here is something you probably don't know since you haven't actually been around boxing. Southpaws with limited experience against southpaws, have the biggest nightmares against other southpaws.

The best fights to watch in the Amateurs are two green southpaws, because neither of them know how to deal with that left hand coming at them. Same thing happened with Williams. Notice how all of his losses were against lefties?

He had virtually zero amateur experience, and faced basically zero southpaws as a pro, so when he stepped up against southpaws, he got clipped flush with everything they threw because he had no experience with southpaws.

Floyd isn't a southpaw.

I still think Floyd would find a way to win, but it would be an absolute nightmare of a fight for him. Its just physically a huge missmatch, and the question is whether or not the equally large missmatch in skill would be enough to overcome those physical differences.

Comment

Just can't get the images of Kermit Cintron countering and shaking him up at will before the leap frog act out of my head. And he wasn't even a southpaw. I think Williams just struggled against anyone who could counter him. Especially because he never fought tall, so it left a lot more room for guys like Quintana or Cintron to catch him before he resets, or even beat him to the punch.

I always felt Floyd would win an 8 to 4 type of fight against him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
                I never knew Floyd was a southpaw 5/10 welterweight like Quintana. But the Punisher and Margarito were 2 welterweights I definitely think would have beaten Floyd. Which is why retirement called.

The same can be said about how Maidana gave Floyd fits. 2 bigger welterweights with twice the stamina?? Yeah, easy night for Floyd.
                Margarito wouldn't have had a chance. He is too slow, and too conventional. Maidana has success because he is so awkward, but there was nothing Awkward about Margarito. Floyd would have been safe in the pocket all night long and countering him.

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
                  Maidana gave Floyd fits cause he so darn unorthodox. Neither Paul Williams or Margs throw punches like Maidana. To me Margs was just too darn slow, I know he'd walk through Floyd's punches but I don't see a prime Floyd staying on the ropes or still long enough for Tony to let those gifted hands go. Williams would of been a real challenge due to punch output, but like another poster said he always seems to be off balance, and doesn't really use his reach advantage since he likes to go in there and slug it out.
                  Williams is fairly unorthodox, he really throws from all angles, and is so long you just can't get away from him. Also, the people that say he couldn't move have no memory of Williams. He moved constantly, and most of it was effective movement that made him such a nightmare, such as his constant pivoting.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                    He lost to Quintana, got outboxed over 12. And mostly everyone thought Lara outboxed him. I'm sure despite not being a southpaw like the two mentioned above, Floyd would have come up with a way to outbox Williams. But I don't think it would have been easy. It would have probably been Floyd having to use his legs a lot like in the DLH and Canelo fights. People see Williams height and go crazy over a match up between him and Williams, but like Roy Jones commented on in one fight "Paul Williams fights like a midget". He gives up his height, which was his advantage to anyone that saw him on google, but when he fought he gave it up.
                    Thats not entirely accurate. Williams used his range outside, but liked to get inside and bang, which is what Roy was talking about, but given his work rate, that was to his advantage, as him being closer to you meant that you had to move even further away to get out of his range.

Nobody less than wasn't 5'10 and Southpaw ever gave him any real problems. It would be an interesting fight. Floyd would have to either stop him, or find a way to beat him in the pocket. He wouldn't win an outside moving game with Williams.

If Martinez couldn't make it work in the first fight, there is no way the Floyd would be able too. Martinez is bigger, and was at his moving best.
                    Last edited by !! Shawn; 09-10-2014, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxerDood View Post
                      Just can't get the images of Kermit Cintron countering and shaking him up at will before the leap frog act out of my head. And he wasn't even a southpaw. I think Williams just struggled against anyone who could counter him. Especially because he never fought tall, so it left a lot more room for guys like Quintana or Cintron to catch him before he resets, or even beat him to the punch.

I always felt Floyd would win an 8 to 4 type of fight against him.
                      They had a game plan with Cintron to start slow and measure his power. The one thing that Williams side was concerned about was his power. Consequently, Williams pace was uncharacteristically very slow.

After a couple of rounds, Williams appeared to be ready to throw that game plan out the window and started putting his combinations together but by then, Cintron flew out of the ring like a bird and the fight was over.

Floyd does not have KO type power, so Williams would NOT respect Floyd one bit. Also Williams range would be tough for Floyd. Williams also throws from everywhere (angles)

Last edited by ADP02; 09-10-2014, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X