Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shouldn't Donaire-Walters be the main event?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shouldn't Donaire-Walters be the main event?

Why is a title fight between two of the best featherweights in the world an undercard fight to a mismatch between GGG and Rubio?

It would make sense to me if GGG was a superstar, but his last fight (which had a massive promotion even being advertised on local sports radio in my city) drew an embarrassing 758K viewers on HBO, which was HBO's lowest rated card of the entire year. This is despite his promoter proclaiming to Boxing Scene that the fight was going to be the highest rated card on HBO the entire year.
    http://www.boxingscene.com/loeffler-...-rating--80244
    Donaire-Walters
    30.61%
    GGG-Rubio
    69.39%

The poll is expired.

I would think donaire vs Walters would be a big enough to headline it's own show..

Frankly it's a better fight on paper then Rubio-ggg..

Regardless, its a great card with these 2 fights

Comment

Rubio and GGG are both bigger names than Walters, and Rubio is going to attract an audience. While the FW division is competitive, it's not a division you can headline especially with two fighters that aren't big draws in the first place.

Keep in mind that the fight is taking place in California and the event is called "Mexican Style".

Comment

yea, i agree. not that donaire has spectacular numbers either though.

Comment

It's the better fight on paper, but GGG-Rubio is the bigger event and will bring in the crowd and ratings. HBO is trying to push GGG towards superstardom and the middleweight champ fighting on an undercard for a fight between two featherweights would look bad for his brand.
          Last edited by _original_; 08-28-2014, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Donaire-Walters aren't Mexican Style

Comment

I'm glad that Donaire agreed to fight on the undercard to GGG vs Rubio but surprised he did it to be honest.. I can't wait for this fight between Walters vs Donaire this fight is going to be a good one.

Comment

I dont think Walters has been on premium cable at all, even undercard

Comment

There's no question which one of these is the more meaningful, more competitive bout.

Personally I think it will be Walters' coming out party. He looks like a star in the making. Credit to Donaire for accepting that fight.

Comment

GGG is hot right now.

Comment

Working...
                    X