Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porter initiated most of the clinches!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porter initiated most of the clinches!

He was coming in low & it was Porter who was holding and working his free-arm whilst Brook controlled him.

Why is Brook being blamed? Yes he clinched but no more than Porter did.

Have you not seen a Porter fight before? He ALWAYS fights like this. Only this time he wasn't fighting a physically weak opponent he could ragdoll.

Its a huge part of his game he swarms in, grabs and clubs guys.
    He did it vs Diaz, Alexander, Gomez, etc etc

He has an ugly style. How can people call this guy exciting? The only time he has ever looked exciting was against Paulie.
    He reminds me in parts of a poor mans Ricky Hatton

Brooks team knew what to expect and prepared for it. Seems people are fruity as they expected/hoped for Brook to fight Porters fight! What sort of idiot does that?
    Porter isn't even good inside, he is just a brute.
    He couldn't do anything with Brook inside even when there wasn't any clinching going on. Brook totally shut his game out.

That's not what I saw at all.

Comment

We need that GIF of Kermit again to compare.

But on topic, I totally agree. Porter always lunges head first swinging wide and then smothers himself. He'd jump in, swing, miss, and then smother himself. His only chance at that point was to work the free hand, which he was doing when HE was the one holding, an illegal move. Brook clinched, but he had to and or Porter's head would have busted his face up more than his fists ever were going to.

I really don't like watching Porter fight like I enjoyed Ricky. Ricky landed solid shots with force behind them in close. Unless he's fighting a LW or JWW at WW, Porter can't do that it seems and is reduced to lunging in, clinching, arm punches with the free hand, break, and repeat. His tenacity and stamina are what make him so damn hard to fight IMO.

Comment

He fights like a billy goat, comes in flying with his head (caused himself to get cut and Brook), grabs hold and rabbit punches.

Every single fight is the same.

Watch it again

Most of those clinches are initiated by Shawn Porter or caused by his total wrecklessness

Why didn't you guys moan about the excessive clinching against Alexander? Diaz? Gomez? Thompson? etc etc
        Was it their fault too?

Comment

He bull rushes. What you expect Brook to do? The guy is in his chest the entire fight. Not sure who initiated most of the clinching but if Porter knew how to fight from a distance he wouldn't have to worry about it.

Comment

His style didn't clash very well vs k.brook
            Looked like an amateur style

Comment

Brooks was holding a lot the first 8 or so rounds. Then Porter tired out from trying to break free from all the holding so Brooks didn't have to do as much holding. There were plenty of times where Porter was trying with BOTH arms to get out of a hold and consumed a lot of energy doing so.

I'm not even going to blame Brooks who got away with it but the ref is another story. He warned Brooks several times but should have gone much further.

If you don't know or are not a fan of Brooks, this was a hard fight to watch. The holding was unbearable. This fight reminded me of Devon Alexander vs Maidana. Way too much holding!

Comment

Brook clinched..alot

Those were the right tactics, i said it before Brook needed to throw that stiff jab through the middle and whenever Porter was on the inside he needed to clinch, smoother him. The short arm midget could do a lot of damage if u let him, Brook did what Lennox did with Tyson.

Also no different from the tactics Khan used against Collazo

Clinching is effective, look at Wlad, Floyd, Ward and Bhop..it works

End of the day its up to the ref if he deems it excessive and he didnt...

case closed

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                  He was coming in low & it was Porter who was holding and working his free-arm whilst Brook controlled him.

Why is Brook being blamed? Yes he clinched but no more than Porter did.

Have you not seen a Porter fight before? He ALWAYS fights like this. Only this time he wasn't fighting a physically weak opponent he could ragdoll.

Its a huge part of his game he swarms in, grabs and clubs guys.
                  He did it vs Diaz, Alexander, Gomez, etc etc

He has an ugly style. How can people call this guy exciting? The only time he has ever looked exciting was against Paulie.
                  He reminds me in parts of a poor mans Ricky Hatton

Brooks team knew what to expect and prepared for it. Seems people are fruity as they expected/hoped for Brook to fight Porters fight! What sort of idiot does that?
                  Porter isn't even good inside, he is just a brute.
                  He couldn't do anything with Brook inside even when there wasn't any clinching going on. Brook totally shut his game out.
                  I agree with this entire thing, great post bro!

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieBruno View Post
                    Brook clinched..alot

Those were the right tactics, i said it before Brook needed to throw that stiff jab through the middle and whenever Porter was on the inside he needed to clinch, smoother him. The short arm midget could do a lot of damage if u let him, Brook did what Lennox did with Tyson.

Also no different from the tactics Khan used against Collazo

Clinching is effective, look at Wlad, Floyd, Ward and Bhop..it works

End of the day its up to the ref if he deems it excessive and he didnt...

case closed
                    This. The clinching is why I won't be re-watching it, but the ref let it go on so that's that. Brook got away with clinching; Porter got away with leading with his head and rabbit punching. Just a sloppy fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X