No announcement yet.

Not Only Does Mike Tyson Not Belong As A Top Ten HW, He's Not Even Close

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have Tyson in my top 10.

Could see him being outside but obviously if he is outside the Top 10 then he's close to it.

Comment

i think wlad could have beaten prime tyson.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Machine View Post
        I know people love Tyson, but this sheet needs to stop. Tyson, based on resume, is not even remotely close to being a top ten hw of all time.

This is personally one of my favorite lists.

http://www.*************.com/columns...yweights-time/

Alot of people you could throw in and Wlad is certainly getting close.

you say Tyson isn't top 10 based on his resume, but then you bring up wlad. wlad resume aint ****!!!!

please list 10 heavyweights better than tyson

Comment

Originally posted by Juicy J View Post
          In no particular order:

Ali
          Louis
          Foreman
          Holmes
          Lewis
          Johnson
          Marciano
          Frazier
          Holyfield
          Dempsey

All greater imo. After that the 2nd tier includes (in no particular order):

Tyson
          Jeffries
          Wlad
          Norton
          Liston
          Bowe
          Wills
          Jersey Joe
          Ezzard
          Patterson
          Prime Tyson would wipe the floor with lennox lewis,jack Dempsey, and marciano

Comment

ali
            joe louis
            frazier
            foreman
            jersey joe
            holyfield
            lennox lewis
            rocky marciano (beat all the great names)
            ezzard charles (went 15 rounds with Marciano!!)
            tyson
            wlad klitschko

and i dont know enough about Dempsey and Jack Johnson to rank them P4P skill/career wise but I know they're both included in the list of great heavyweights as well.

I would add more names but I think the names I stated are mostly top tier Heavyweights.
            Last edited by SlySlickSmooth; 08-12-2014, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Machine View Post
              I know people love Tyson, but this sheet needs to stop. Tyson, based on resume, is not even remotely close to being a top ten hw of all time.

This is personally one of my favorite lists.

http://www.*************.com/columns...yweights-time/

Alot of people you could throw in and Wlad is certainly getting close.
              I wouldnt say he wasnt close. it doesnt matter anyway as he'll always be one of the most recognized and exciting champs of all time. I doubt very much he'll be losing any sleep over not being on many top 10 all time lists

Comment

H2H Tyson could have potentially been the greatest of all time!

I personally don't rate him such but really there's only a handful of boxers who probably could have beaten the best version really.

Mike was supreme, and a turning point for hw boxing.

With the rise of Tyson, never again would the HW division be populated by face first featherfists.

The reign of the punch bags was broken

Comment

I really hate when posters say so and so don't belong in some odd mythical listing and then add "they ain't even close" but fail to add their own personal list, mainly waiting for more semi more knowledgeable fans make a list for them, so they can agree with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                    It's most definitely not an urban myth because I lived it. I don't know how old you are but I was around in the 80's and watched all if not the vast majority of Tysons fights live.

He was a quintessential bully. When he was on top, the favorite and scaring the daylights out of people, he was at his best. The second he was pushed into a corner, and given any adversity, he coward in the face if it. Sorry, but it's true.

Of the fighters you name, I would say that some were pretty good, some bad but none great. Tyson came up in the perfect time for a HW, he had little to no competition. Now that's not his fault, I don't blame him for that but when presented against the best of his era, he lost and lost badly.

I understand the troubles he went through as well, leaving Cus, Atlas and then Rooney had a severely negative impact on his career. At the same time, that's his fault, and we have to hold him accountable for that.

It's kind of like when some fans say that Wilfredo Gomez didn't train for Sanchez, well that's part of being a great and dedicated fighter. We can't deal in "what if's" all the time and use that as an excuse.

I think Tyson was a very good HW, top 20 no doubt. Not better than Holyfield and was definitely a devastating puncher. I just think people overrate him too much because of his power.
                    I think you misunderstood me a little bit. I'm just saying, I don't think I've ever seen prime tyson crumble. You can say what you want about him, but he took his beatings like a man. He certainly didn't coward out. He took some severe beatings against Douglas, Lewis and some of the later fights in his career, and to some extent Holyfield one as well. He could have quit at any moment, but he took his beatings. He did bite Holyfield's ear, but that was more frustration than anything else - I certainly wouldn't call it cowardice. Mind you, Holyfield also bit someone once. It can happen to anyone.

I agree about the part about him coming through at the perfect time for sure, but he still faced some good opposition who gave him some good fights and he did achieve some things no one else did.

I agree it's his own fault, but it's just reasoning. I still don't think there's any question that Tyson was undoubtedly the more talented fighter. I really can't see how anyone could dispute that.

Also, he's undoubtedly a top 20 heavyweight. Anything else would be criminal. I think you'd be hard pressed not to include him in the top 15 as well, whether you think he's overrated or not. He did achieve some pretty incredible things.

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
                      ali
                      joe louis
                      frazier
                      foreman
                      jersey joe
                      holyfield
                      lennox lewis
                      rocky marciano (beat all the great names)
                      ezzard charles (went 15 rounds with Marciano!!)
                      tyson
                      wlad klitschko

and i dont know enough about Dempsey and Jack Johnson to rank them P4P skill/career wise but I know they're both included in the list of great heavyweights as well.

I would add more names but I think the names I stated are mostly top tier Heavyweights.
                      I think Jersey Joe and Ezzard Charles were great too, but I have a problem with ranking them as top tier heavies when they really spent the majority of their careers in another or multiple other weightclass.

Comment

Working...
                      X